Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very tempted to get a 2020 Soul EV here in Canada. However, having gotten several flat tires through the years (and being able to change the tire in about 30 mins), I am hesitant to go ahead because of the lack of a spare tire. Does anyone have thoughts on how to carry a spare tire (compact spare is fine) in the EV?

• Does one fit under the cargo floor if the floor is in the higher position?
  • Is it unsafe to have a spare just loose in the trunk? If so, any ideas on how to secure the spare? Maybe using a cargo net secured to the cargo floor tie-downs?
Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm hoping that one of our Canadian or European members might have some more information.

As a general question, since so many cars are now coming without a spare, I wonder if anyone has comments on what it's like to drive around with one sitting in the trunk (not under the floor) of any car. I guess with a hatchback, it could be a large, heavy projectile in an accident.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,762 Posts
Welcome iflo and I too am very tempted by the Soul EV. You are correct, there is no room for a spare (compact or otherwise) in the space that is available on the non-EV Souls. You are stuck with a temp kit and I believe some type of battery cooling fan down there.

You could give up alot of cargo space and just put a spare in the back. If you're on a longer road trip that might be a good "peace of mind" item to pack. You could also consider a rooftop basket or cargo carrier and keep one up there.

All the best!

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
All 2020 petrol Souls come with a donut spare. That was not true of the Gen 2 autos. I was always able to get the dealer to throw in a spare. However, my local dealership has now gone to charge for the 2020 spare even though it was provided in the car. Some nerve, huh?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
All 2020 petrol Souls come with a donut spare. That was not true of the Gen 2 autos. I was always able to get the dealer to throw in a spare. However, my local dealership has now gone to charge for the 2020 spare even though it was provided in the car. Some nerve, huh?
That's ALOT of nerve on their part Shaggy! Perhaps they didn't know just exactly who they were dealing with :)

I had to buy my spare as well for 2014. It was worth the $98 which included the jack and tools, peace of mind, no charge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I've been unlucky, but my impression of roadside assistance is that they could take a couple of hours to get to you. Then, they'd tow you somewhere and you would hope that your shop has the tire you want. If they need to order the tire, that's a few days at least. So it's probably one day gone for the whole family, and then several days without the car.

If I had a spare tire, on the other hand... I could change it in 30 mins, and use it while waiting for my shop to get a replacement.

I should note that this will be my only car (for a family of 4). So I know given that information, many people will say "this is not the car for you", but turning things back to my original question: Is there no good option for adding a spare? Would you consider driving with a spare just sitting in the trunk?

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
If there is no place in the back of the car for a spare, then your only options are going to be laying the tire in the rear compartment or mounting on the roof. The rear hatch is not going to support a spare on it. Of course, you could mount a towing hitch and then adding or jury rigging a tire carrying attachment to the hitch.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Welcome iflo and I too am very tempted by the Soul EV. You are correct, there is no room for a spare (compact or otherwise) in the space that is available on the non-EV Souls. You are stuck with a temp kit and I believe some type of battery cooling fan down there.
How about a Continental kit on the hatch with stronger struts to raise the hatch? Now, that would be a unique addition to the Soul...

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
How about a Continental kit on the hatch with stronger struts to raise the hatch? Now, that would be a unique addition to the Soul...
Interesting idea CA. Have you even seen that on another vehicle? For safety reasons, I thought it wasn't legal. But if you could find struts that beefy, it suppose it could work. Most vehicles I've seen with hatch mounted tires open to the side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am very tempted to get a 2020 Soul EV here in Canada. However, having gotten several flat tires through the years (and being able to change the tire in about 30 mins), I am hesitant to go ahead because of the lack of a spare tire. Does anyone have thoughts on how to carry a spare tire (compact spare is fine) in the EV?

• Does one fit under the cargo floor if the floor is in the higher position?
  • Is it unsafe to have a spare just loose in the trunk? If so, any ideas on how to secure the spare? Maybe using a cargo net secured to the cargo floor tie-downs?
Thanks!
I have a 2020 Kia Soul EV Limited. I live in Vancouver, Canada.

Yesterday I happened to be at the dealer, so I asked at the parts counter if a spare tire "donut" is available.

After the parts guy pecked in his computer for several minutes, a definite "no" was the answer.

I've checked a couple of sites with 2019 donut kits if the 2019 will fit on the 2020 and the answer is also "no." Not sure why.

Unlike the earlier models, the 2020 doesn't have the battery cooler in the spare-tire well so I'm not sure why a spare wouldn't fit in the hole. Like you, I don't like driving around without a spare.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm also in the Vancouver area. I ended up not going for the EV, mainly because of the lack of a spare. I got an EX trim instead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We knew our "next" car was going to be an EV. I'm a big guy so in Spring 2019 I went and sat in every EV at the Vancouver auto show (remember those?) I was pleasantly surprised how well I fit in the Soul (and I'm kinda anti-Tesla due to all the smugness). So that's what we went with. 11 months later and we're quite happy with it, other than a few small nitpicks.

...that being said, I'm surprised the EX donut doesn't fit in the EV.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Can I assume, that in the back of the EV, there is no Spare Tire Well ?
I'd still have to have a spare, even if I had to have it strapped down in the back seat. Or maybe up on top, like a Range Rover. lol

FLH :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can I assume, that in the back of the EV, there is no Spare Tire Well ?
In the 2020 EV there is a spare tire well.

You can see it in this video at the 90-second mark.

It is my understanding that the in the 2019 and earlier EV the battery cooling fan was in the wheel well, but the 2020's battery is liquid-cooled, so that fan isn't there.

This is why I am surprised there is no spare donut available for the 2020.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Spare tire (preferably full size) vs tire repair kit changes a quick pit stop into a major PITA if you get a flat.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Spare tire (preferably full size) vs tire repair kit changes a quick pit stop into a major PITA if you get a flat.
But if you only have the can of foaming goo repair kit, and it is not good enough, then you are awaiting a tow.
Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? :)

I got the donut wheel spare for mine just because of that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Man!!! That is really some nerve consider the donut spare is standard equipment on the Soul, at least here in the US?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts