Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Soul LX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another thread that I started I made a final update regarding the shifting issues I had with my 2021 LX manual. Long story short, I sold the car and got my down payment back thanks to inflated car prices.

I sold the car with 7000 miles but I never had any engine noise, oil burning that was noticeable on the dip or at the tail pipe, nothing out of the ordinary, which leads me to my next point/question.

Am I the only one that changed the oil 3 times in 7000 miles of ownership? What was the failure mileage of your Souls? I hunted around some posts but never saw any mileage posted.

I change the oil on all my cars once it gets to a certain level of discoloration. Doesn't mean the oil won't lubricate/protect/cool if it's darkened, especially the good full synthetic oils, but to have that amount of visible contamination swimming around the oil when oil is so cheap and easy to change, I just change it early if I feel it needs to be changed early, otherwise I go 5k-6k miles on synthetic. Not to mention I'm pretty hard on my cars, I don't drive like grandma. I did use 0W-20 for the winter season, then I pop back up to 5W-20 for summer, the slightly better viscosity for deep winter I'm sure makes a difference in cold start wear, especially when you have improperly forged piston rings.

Any thoughts?? Please let me know!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'll do like to change the oil on the first 1,000 miles, then 6,000 or 1 year. I live in Orlando so the winters aren't too bad with a thicker oil 5w-30 weight Walmart brand, also started using prolong engine oil treatment. Synthetic motor oil is supposed to hold the engine blow-by & contenements and not let it stick to the internal engine components. That's why you start to see it turn black so soon. Suggest you send an oil sample to Blackstone. FOI Laboratories - Fuel Testing and Analysis

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well, I changed my oil on my 2020 the first time at about 1000 miles, and then at y month intervals or every 4000 miles. I now have 10,000 miles on it and have scheduled another change in about a week and one-half. (I know this is a little overkill.) I have not had any problems with oil consumption. I check the oil at eve fill-up and all fluids once a month..

Reactions: Joemsj51

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX Manual Transmission
71 Posts
I did my firat oil change at 3,500mi using Walmart full synthetic. At 7,500mi I am planning to let the stealership do it. Or maybe not.They charge $89+...

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
With 25000+ miles on my 2020 LX, I've had all the tests and everything is FINE.
I bought the Extended Maintenance agreement along with my new car. With that, I can get a FREE oil & filter change every 3k miles (at MY request)
Today, my Dealership is using Castrol GTX 5W20 oil in my car and genuine KIA Oil Filers (of course).
When my extended maintenance contract expires later this year (2021) and I start doing my own oil changes,
in my back yard, My little Jem will still be getting Castrol GTX 5W20 oil and KIA Oil Filters.
Sort of like this:
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille

Yeah, that was Gertrude, my 2013 Soul. She only had ONE oil change from the dealer....the first one.
I gave her, her last OC at about 75K, just before I traded her in on my 2020 LX.

Someone asked me one day, "you actually crawl under your car to change your own oil?".
I responded, "OH heck yes....I can FALL down there, , , now getting up takes a little longer" rofl

With the cost of everything going UP, I'll probably NOT be driving quite so many miles. Not till "Something"
changes, anyway.

Cheers Mates
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Conventional oil?...... why?, when you can get synthetic for only a few dollars more and sometimes even pay less than conventional. Most sales and rebates involve synthetic oil these days.

Heck, I cant even remember the last time I bought synthetic blend. I've been attached to the Full Synthetic Choo-Choo Train now, since the early 90s. Besides, synthetics are better for extreme outdoor / engine temps, longer OCIs, superior lubricating properties (just ask any timing chain) and cleanliness of the engine.

I have found one benefit of conventional oil that I do miss. Engine parts sound-deadening. My engines were always quieter using conventional oil. But in those days of 70s / 80s and early 90s, the common engine used thicker oils on average.

·
Registered
200 Posts
With 25000+ miles on my 2020 LX, I've had all the tests and everything is FINE.
I bought the Extended Maintenance agreement along with my new car. With that, I can get a FREE oil & filter change every 3k miles (at MY request)
Today, my Dealership is using Castrol GTX 5W20 oil in my car and genuine KIA Oil Filers (of course).
When my extended maintenance contract expires later this year (2021) and I start doing my own oil changes,
in my back yard, My little Jem will still be getting Castrol GTX 5W20 oil and KIA Oil Filters.
Sort of like this:
View attachment 137936
Yeah, that was Gertrude, my 2013 Soul. She only had ONE oil change from the dealer....the first one.
I gave her, her last OC at about 75K, just before I traded her in on my 2020 LX.

Someone asked me one day, "you actually crawl under your car to change your own oil?".
I responded, "OH heck yes....I can FALL down there, , , now getting up takes a little longer" rofl

With the cost of everything going UP, I'll probably NOT be driving quite so many miles. Not till "Something"
changes, anyway.

Cheers Mates
FLH :cool:
I agree with Jomesj51, you can't do anything better for your engine than using full Synthetic Engine oil. I also use prolong engine treatment like you. One question, I see your car ramps are painted white, why is that?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I see your car ramps are painted white, why is that?
He made permanent concrete ramps in his yard. I wish I had a yard big enough to do that!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,988 Posts
He made permanent concrete ramps in his yard. I wish I had a yard big enough to do that!
This would be my dream home garage:
Lighting Flooring Floor Door Ceiling

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul X-Line Neptune Blue w/Black Top. Vehicle Build Date 10/07/2020, purchased 12/30/2020.
103 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I agree with Jomesj51, you can't do anything better for your engine than using full Synthetic Engine oil. I also use prolong engine treatment like you. One question, I see your car ramps are painted white, why is that?
Well Bob, if synthetic oil was So good for the KIA Engine, I would think they would at least mention it in the Owners Manual. But they DON'T!
One Oil Expert that came on the forum one day, told us that every quart of Synthetic oil is actually 1/2 Dino Oil.
My Dealer uses Castrol GTX,5W20 and that's exactly what I'd be using if I were still changing my own oil. And, next year I will be.

I was asked why I painted my ramps white. ??? It was the only outdoor paint I had on hand at the time.
The GOLD wouldn't stand up to Florida weather. :ROFLMAO:

:cool:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well Bob, if synthetic oil was So good for the KIA Engine, I would think they would at least mention it in the Owners Manual. But they DON'T!
One Oil Expert that came on the forum one day, told us that every quart of Synthetic oil is actually 1/2 Dino Oil.
My Dealer uses Castrol GTX,5W20 and that's exactly what I'd be using if I were still changing my own oil. And, next year I will be.

I was asked why I painted my ramps white. ??? It was the only outdoor paint I had on hand at the time.
The GOLD wouldn't stand up to Florida weather. :ROFLMAO:

:cool:
This lable was on my 2020 Soul.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul ! 2.0gdi
265 Posts
Ok, so, I'm going to ruin it for everyone here. The "kia recommended oil" is just the high bidder of who sponsored kia to get their sticker under the hood of your car or in your owner's manual, that's it. That being said, Castrol is good oil, so is Total. As far as the whole synthetic oil is half dino oil thing, that is actually partially correct. To be advertised as synthetic oil in the US, the oil needs to be x% synthetic, last i knew it was only 50%, and only like 15% to be considered "synthetic blend". Now, that does not hold true to a lot of true european synthetics like Total, or Liqui-moly as there are much higher standards in Germany where most of these are made, as well as premium domestic synthetics like Royal purple or Amsoil, all of those are much higher, generally 99% synthetic.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX Manual Transmission
71 Posts
Ok, so, I'm going to ruin it for everyone here. The "kia recommended oil" is just the high bidder of who sponsored kia to get their sticker under the hood of your car or in your owner's manual, that's it. That being said, Castrol is good oil, so is Total. As far as the whole synthetic oil is half dino oil thing, that is actually partially correct. To be advertised as synthetic oil in the US, the oil needs to be x% synthetic, last i knew it was only 50%, and only like 15% to be considered "synthetic blend". Now, that does not hold true to a lot of true european synthetics like Total, or Liqui-moly as there are much higher standards in Germany where most of these are made, as well as premium domestic synthetics like Royal purple or Amsoil, all of those are much higher, generally 99% synthetic.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Well, the EU has high standards when it comes to things like these, in the US, just like in the military (I heard), equipments they use are normally the ones made by companies who are the cheapest bidders, or who give kickbaks to the people in charge...

Warranty also sucks here in the US based on my experience. I assemble my own computers and when some parts don't work properly, in the UK, you just call the number on the sticker, they will ask you the serial number, then they send you a new one without you having to send the item back... in US, I was asked to send back an item at my own expense, which costs the same if I went to the store and bought a new one.

back to topic, if the oil is labelled "Full Synthetic" - isn't it supposed to be 100% ???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts