Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my OEM roof rack's front cross bar I'm missing the rubber mounting gasket that goes between the rail and roof. I find it hard to believe but the dealers I've checked tell me the individual part is not available, my only option would be to purchase a whole new set of cross bars @ $250. I'm hoping that someone here can steer me in the right direction, perhaps an after market source. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2020 Soul GT Line Turbo, Neptune Blue
41 Posts
If you have no luck whatsoever finding replacement gaskets, and are even somewhat handy, you can make some silicone gaskets yourself. All you'll need is 100% silicone sealant, corn starch, and food coloring if you don't want the gaskets to be white. $20 plus a couple hours versus $250 unless you can find OEM gaskets. The video below is on making toys but he shows the process for making the putty.

Roll it out with a rolling pin until it's as thin as you want (I'd go 1/4"), gently press the end of the cross bar into the putty to indent around the edges, and then cut out 1/8" or so around the indents. Cut out 1/4" or so inside the indents and in an hour or two, you'll have a homemade silicone gasket that will keep out water and protect the paint from the bottom of the crossbars.

Reactions: calee

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have no luck whatsoever finding replacement gaskets, and are even somewhat handy, you can make some silicone gaskets yourself. All you'll need is 100% silicone sealant, corn starch, and food coloring if you don't want the gaskets to be white. $20 plus a couple hours versus $250 unless you can find OEM gaskets. The video below is on making toys but he shows the process for making the putty.

Roll it out with a rolling pin until it's as thin as you want (I'd go 1/4"), gently press the end of the cross bar into the putty to indent around the edges, and then cut out 1/8" or so around the indents. Cut out 1/4" or so inside the indents and in an hour or two, you'll have a homemade silicone gasket that will keep out water and protect the paint from the bottom of the crossbars.
Thank you Narsil, that's a great idea and will solve my problem.

·
Registered
2020 Soul GT Line Turbo, Neptune Blue
41 Posts
If you end up doing this, please post up with your results. I'd love to see the final product!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts