Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
My impression was, that's a choice of the importer. And every country's features are different. For example, I've got a Soul that's one year newer than yours but with AT. Auto up/down window only on driver side, no side repeaters, no heated mirrors. My understanding is that the 2015 MT was missing the cruise and center armrest. No rear cam (yours probably doesn't have one either).

They keep looking for the formula that will maintain sales (not increase cost too much) and profits. It's a corporation, they all do that. I gather that the 2020s incorporate some expensive driver-assist features.
They seem to have added features to the base models. Of course, my 2013 was Gen 1, and I don't know what went into the Gen 2 versions. The 2013 was pure Base, with a manual transmission, so it didn't even have the features added when you opted for the automatic transmission. Even so, it felt like a well-equipped little box on wheels, at least to me. For the 2020, I went for the LX with ITV, since my wife insisted on an automatic. Here are some of the notable things in my 2020 that weren't in the 2013 Base model:.

• Electric adjusted side mirrors.
  • Remote key fob.
  • Seat height adjustment (manual)
  • Touch screen console
  • Rear camera (LOVE THIS!)
  • Apple Auto Play and Android Auto
  • ISG (didn't want that) (comes with the IVT in LX trim)
  • Spare tire!
  • Center armrest/bin (only with the IVT in LX)
  • Digital speedometer display with extras
  • Much more refined ride with less road noise
  • More power from 2.0 L Atkinson-cycle engine
  • Manual shift option with IVT (only if you want it - my 2013 was a stick shift)
  • Sunglasses (or taco) compartment below mirror.
There are probably others I forgot. It felt like a real upgrade in my new car, but the 2020 cost more than my 2013, naturally. It's no longer just an econobox.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,604 Posts
My impression was, that's a choice of the importer. And every country's features are different. For example, I've got a Soul that's one year newer than yours but with AT. Auto up/down window only on driver side, no side repeaters, no heated mirrors. My understanding is that the 2015 MT was missing the cruise and center armrest. No rear cam (yours probably doesn't have one either).

They keep looking for the formula that will maintain sales (not increase cost too much) and profits. It's a corporation, they all do that. I gather that the 2020s incorporate some expensive driver-assist features.
Yeah, you're right about that dynamo. Plus I'm coming from that minority view of stick shift enthusiasts (stick Soul is fun to drive!). We get stuck with the least trimmed version (if you want the chicken meal, you must fly economy).

My ideal 2020 would be an EX with manual transmission. Unfortunately I'd have to live outside N America where they are offered. That's why I was attracted to the first Gen2s, they were fairly well equipped (nannies need not apply).

There has been a small shift in MT offerings from Honda & Subaru. The Crosstrek stick is offered in a premium trim & Accord/Civic have better offerings, but they are sedans.

None of it may matter in the next few years or so. If EVs take off & prices come down to ICE levels as predicted (think VW's ev for the masses & Volvo ev only), CVT, IVT, Automatic & Stick Shift will go the way of cassette tapes & vinyl :)

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
The base 1.6 never had the center console or cruise with the MT as standard, had heated mirrors standard though in Gen 1 and earlier Gen 2. But as we have seen the Cruise and the center console, those were easy to add. At one time up until 2015 I believe, the plus also came with an MT. That has plus accessories which matched the base AT, with the 2.0, and a few other things. The rear view camera floated in and out of the base AT version and some years there were upgrade packages to the AT base.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The base 1.6 never had the center console or cruise with the MT as standard, had heated mirrors standard though in Gen 1 and earlier Gen 2. But as we have seen the Cruise and the center console, those were easy to add. At one time up until 2015 I believe, the plus also came with an MT. That has plus accessories which matched the base AT, with the 2.0, and a few other things. The rear view camera floated in and out of the base AT version and some years there were upgrade packages to the AT base.
The only time I use cruise is on road trips, which are infrequent, at best. Around the Twin Cities metro area, it's useless, due to traffic. I didn't miss the console in the 2013, really, either. Interestingly enough, I think most Base (LX) souls are sold to folks over 60. That demographic group is more likely to be able to use manual transmissions than the younger set, and it doesn't care as much about some other features. I loved having a 6-speed manual tranny. Those were for racing cars only when I was a young guy, although 5-speeds became a standard while I was still not so old, My first Ford Ranger (1984) had a 5-speed with fifth being an overdrive gear, and so does my 96 Ranger. That Mazda transmission is an indestructible gearbox.

My wife can, and skillfully does, use a manual transmission, but she doesn't enjoy it, really. That's especially true in traffic, so we opted for the IVT in the 2020. I'd have gladly bought a 2019, but none were available when we were in the market.

I'm a base model driver, really. I like the ,manual roll-up windows in my 96 Ranger. I can't tell you how many used Rangers I looked at with defunct electric windows on the passenger door. I'm pleased with the features on the LX AT Soul, but I wouldn't miss most of them, frankly. I'm in the grumpy old man demographic group - the market KIA didn't anticipate when they launched the Soul. Chrysler missed that group, as a target market, with the PT Cruiser. Us old folks know better, though, and we don't mind hamsters in our cars, as long as they're easy to get in and out of. :cool:

·
Registered
744 Posts

I'm a base model driver, really. I like the ,manual roll-up windows in my 96 Ranger. I can't tell you how many used Rangers I looked at with defunct electric windows on the passenger door. I'm pleased with the features on the LX AT Soul, but I wouldn't miss most of them, frankly. I'm in the grumpy old man demographic group - the market KIA didn't anticipate when they launched the Soul. Chrysler missed that group, as a target market, with the PT Cruiser. Us old folks know better, though, and we don't mind hamsters in our cars, as long as they're easy to get in and out of. :cool:
Honda had the same miscalculation with the Element (I purchased a used MT one for my daughter when she graduated college - nice car). Lots of older folks bought Elements.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Honda had the same miscalculation with the Element (I purchased a used MT one for my daughter when she graduated college - nice car). Lots of older folks bought Elements.

Yup. My sister-in-law has an Element, and she's in her 60s. A lot of car companies make a car with a demographic group in mind and are then surprised when it is a different group that buys the car. The Soul crosses a lot of boundaries in terms of age. I see a lot of them in handicapped parking spaces, too. The ease of entry and exit is why. I'm sure KIA is very happy to see oldsters buying their little box on wheels. They might have been surprised early on but they've figured it out now. The Hamsters are gone.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Yup. My sister-in-law has an Element, and she's in her 60s. A lot of car companies make a car with a demographic group in mind and are then surprised when it is a different group that buys the car. The Soul crosses a lot of boundaries in terms of age. I see a lot of them in handicapped parking spaces, too. The ease of entry and exit is why. I'm sure KIA is very happy to see oldsters buying their little box on wheels. They might have been surprised early on but they've figured it out now. The Hamsters are gone.
I agree CA, but it surprises me that absolutely no advertisements for Souls are directed towards seniors. It seems like they are missing the market (or are they?)

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Untill...the valves start sticking open from emissions deposits.
I hear ya srad. This issue has been talked about alot and I'm still not 100% convinced this is a big problem for Souls. When I look at the spray timing video on the engine, it looks like the back of the valve gets a "little shot" of gas before (or while) it's directly injecting into the chamber.

I know there are some GDI engines that spray further down the chamber not coming close to the valves at all. Is there a chance Kia's GDI is a cleaner machine than some other makers?

It doesn't seem like there has been a tsunami of coked up valves on Kia's.

Full video, check out 2:40, does it seem like spray would touch the back of the valves?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Untill...the valves start sticking open from emissions deposits.
Well, we are in good company. GDIs are very common across many manufacturers. My 2007 A4 is a GDI. My friend bought it from me and it is still going strong 12 years later with well over 100k

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I agree CA, but it surprises me that absolutely no advertisements for Souls are directed towards seniors. It seems like they are missing the market (or are they?)
People are finding them anyhow. KIA doesn't have to advertise to that group. Word of mouth is getting it done.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Well, we are in good company. GDIs are very common across many manufacturers. My 2007 A4 is a GDI. My friend bought it from me and it is still going strong 12 years later with week over 100k

That's great to hear engage. I also have heard the oil industry is coming up with a new oil specifically for GDI engines.

·
Registered
744 Posts
... I see a lot of them in handicapped parking spaces, too. The ease of entry and exit is why.
I'm not handicapped, yet, but both knees are bad, bad lower back and bunions on both feet, so ease of entry is important. With the Soul, one gets that in a package that is still small and maneuverable. My mother-in-law is 83 and still driving. We moved her out of her Toyota Sienna van and into a 2017 Soul. She loves it - so much easier for her to drive.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I'm not handicapped, yet, but both knees are bad, bad lower back and bunions on both feet, so ease of entry is important. With the Soul, one gets that in a package that is still small and maneuverable. My mother-in-law is 83 and still driving. We moved her out of her Toyota Sienna van and into a 2017 Soul. She loves it - so much easier for her to drive.

Exactly. People who ride in Souls owned by others are almost always impressed by the car. One person I gave a ride to said, "You only paid that much for this car?" We drove some friends out for dinner at a restaurant about an hour drive away from our homes. They sat in the back seat of our 2013 Soul. Their next new car was a 2018 Soul.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Exactly. People who ride in Souls owned by others are almost always impressed by the car. One person I gave a ride to said, "You only paid that much for this car?" We drove some friends out for dinner at a restaurant about an hour drive away from our homes. They sat in the back seat of our 2013 Soul. Their next new car was a 2018 Soul.
Every current soul owner is an ambassador of goodwill/sales ASSociate for future owners it would seem...

41 - 58 of 58 Posts