Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Kia Soul I bought new. I have 40,000 miles on it. This happen on a Sunday I had been out and got home and layer around 5 pm. The Kia wouldn't start. I tried several times all.the ignition would do is click click click. After several times I hooked up my battery charger. After 5 to 10 minutes I tried it again. It started right up. I unhook charger. I let it idle for 30 minutes no problems. I tool it out and came back. I turn it off. It started right back up. Several times I did it and it started every time. Today I stop at a post office no more then 10 minutes the Kia wouldn't start. Again I get click click click trying to start it. With luck a receptacle was close by I plug in my charger and hooked it up. After 5 minutes it started right up. I went and had the battery and alternator check. Both good. Guy says my alternator is charging the battery and it's fully charged. So my question what is going on withy Kia? I have and appointment with Kia garage on September 30 to bring it in . Can anybody give me any ideas? I have started it several times this evening and no problem. I was told battery and alternator is not the problem. Why does hooking my charger to battery let's me Start it in a few minutes. If battery checks good. Auto Zone check battery.
Thanks
Chuck

·
Registered
429 Posts
I’m no exper but check your grounds

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul ! 2.0gdi
265 Posts
Sounds like one of your battery terminals is loose

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope battery post are very tight. AutoZone says battery charges and alternator good. Only thing they did check was cold crank amps. They didn't check to see if my battery is dropping below 10 volts on start up. Connection are all good. Nothing loose. But the 2 times this has happened. The Starter just clicks. But when I use my charger it takes just a little of 5 minutes both times it it starts on first time starting. It has done it again. I have stop and started it several times. But I am sure it will do it again.. A friend said even if my battery check good and charged it still.may be bad if the volts drop below 10 volts when starting. He said it could be going bad. Any idea?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Do you have access to a multimeter to check the voltage when cranking? I wouldn’t put too much faith in an AutoZone ‘diagnosis’. Your friend could be right, the battery could be going bad. It could also be a ground issue but since the car is still pretty new, I doubt that’s the case. Any corrosion on the battery terminals? You could try cleaning the terminals and posts before throwing a new battery at it.

Kia’s original battery warranty is 3 years 36k miles so it looks like you just missed it by 4k miles. If it’s anything other than the battery, it should be cover under warranty.

Your Kia dealer must be busy if they can’t get you in there for a month 😮

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I've had batteries test good but not be good. Yes, definitely use a multimeter to see what the voltage across the battery is when someone tries to crank it. There is one common problem area that you should look at also, the wire right on the starter gets corrosion right on the end. When it is clicking you will need an assistant and the car raised up enough for you to reach the starter. Use an alligator clip right on the starter wire, hook one end of your multimeter to the starter wire with an alligator clip and the other to the positive battery post directly and set meter to volts DC, so you are basically on the same wire because that is the main wire from the battery to the starter. When it clicks you should see nearly no voltage, if you see voltage you have too much resistance in that wire. It is called a voltage drop test. I use an oscilloscope as it will graph it and catch the drop much better than a little flash of voltage on a multimeter but you should be able to see it spike if there is excessive resistance in that wire. If you don't want to get too complicated, next time it clicks just remove the wire off the starter (take your negative cable off the battery first so you don't short anything) and clean off the end of the eye terminal, you only need a 12mm wrench or socket and some sand paper and after cleaning and reattaching it try to start the car before you charge the battery and that way you will know if cleaning off the wire fixed it.
Here is some pictures and what the voltage drop looks like before and after cleaning the starter wire end. This car was diagnosed as needing a starter when all it took was a few minutes and a wire brush to fix it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will use a multimeter to check the Voltage when I start the Kia. AutoZone never checked that. I have no corrosion or any loose connection. When AutoZone checked battery they check it already running. It did show my alternator was charging the battery. He had be turn my Kia off and said it shows it fully charged. Then told be its not the battery. But a friend ask me did he check to see what the battery volts drop to when starting up the Kia. He said if it's drops below 10 volts the battery could be the problem . So I am going to find out what the voltage drops to.
Everything I know points to the battery. Both times when it wouldn't start. All it took was applying my battery charger and after 5 minutes I can start right up. That keeps telling me it's got to be the battery. If nothing is loose and I have no corrosion on terminals and nothing is loose. What else could it be? Why does using my charger I can start my Kia after charging 5 minutes?
I need to find out what it can be. Waiting till September 30 to get my Kia into the Kia garage is a long wait having this problem. Yeah they said Kia was booked.
Has anyone else had a battery check good but was the problem? Like I said it was never checked to see what the volts drop to when starting the Kia. I was told of it goes below 10 volts then the battery is probably the problem. What's the lowest volts can drop to before it won't start?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
You can have a brand new battery and a brand new starter and a warm engine and the battery voltage will drop below 10 volts, you won't catch it with a multimeter as they are too slow to respond but if you hook up a graphing oscilloscope you will see a millisecond of like 8volts.
Auto Zone probably used a modern tester which tests the capacitance of the battery by using a miniscule amount of voltage to predict the battery's cold cranking amps capacity and it's state of charge. They should have used one with an amp clamp (like a GR8 tester( and had you crank it and watched how many amps your starter pulls etc.. and it would print out a graph and results.
You said your battery posts are clean, the common corrosion issue on these cars is not the battery posts but the eyelet right on the starter, check that. By topping off your battery or even having a brand new one you can overcome the voltage drop across that wire but you are still not solving the problem if there is one. Do a voltage drop test on that wire and then you will know.
You can also test the battery yourself. Give it a full charge, take the charger off, turn on your ignition (don't start the car) and leave your lights on for 10 minutes. A good battery should have no problem with that and your lights should still be pretty bright and your power windows should go up and down quickly.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's likely a bad cell in the battery. When you put the charger on it gets a float charge and it's enough to start your engine but it dissipates after a few minutes.

You just need a real battery test. Most auto parts stores will test for you if they have enough help. But these days, a 4 year old battery is toast. Bite the bullet and replace it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My vote is...
Buy a new battery.

I suggest buying a much higher cold cranking amps battery, than the one that is sold with the vehicle.

I replaced my 330 CCA battery, with a 890 CCA battery.
(Cold Cranking Amps)
It cost less than a hundred bucks, at Sam's Club, and was well worth it! I got plenty of juice now!

·
Registered
2018 Kia Soul plus
3 Posts
Nope battery post are very tight. AutoZone says battery charges and alternator good. Only thing they did check was cold crank amps. They didn't check to see if my battery is dropping below 10 volts on start up. Connection are all good. Nothing loose. But the 2 times this has happened. The Starter just clicks. But when I use my charger it takes just a little of 5 minutes both times it it starts on first time starting. It has done it again. I have stop and started it several times. But I am sure it will do it again.. A friend said even if my battery check good and charged it still.may be bad if the volts drop below 10 volts when starting. He said it could be going bad. Any idea?
I'm having the same problem with my 2019 Kia. What was the resolution?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts