Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enjoying the ride so far, no complaints. The seats are comfortable, the controls work great, hey I'm NOT fussy!
The power is a lot of fun as well.

My one question is, does it harm things if it's driven around town lightly too much?
With the DI valve carbon issue, should it be taken to redline on a regular basis to keep
it cleaned out? Or is there no getting around the carbon build up no matter how it's driven?
I don't want to abuse it, but I don't want to abuse it.........by babying it too
much either.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,404 Posts
There's a lot of old fears from the early DI engines, mostly German brands, that clogged up badly, still circulating and scaring people.

I'm in no way saying DI engines aren't more prone to carbon build up (simmer down), but we have more advanced engines and there certainly hasn't been a plethora of owners on this forum coming forward with problems.

I would suggest following oil change and regular maintenance guidelines, plus the occasional bottle of Techron and top tier gas.

When out on the highway don't be afraid to use that gas pedal. I wouldn't however lose any sleep worrying about carbon buildup in your new Soul. Having a 10 year warranty helps too.

Congrats on your new Soul.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Slow driving a Soul will carbon up the injectors faster than anything else you could do.

So besides using a bottle of Techron in the gas tank on a regular basis, as suggested my KIA, running her up to the rev-limiter (just short of the red-line) as often as you feel comfortable doing it, won't hurt and can only help.

I basically do that every time I pull out onto the highway and have to merge with 60 mph + traffic.

And after six years and 70k miles, she still runs like a scalded cat!!!

Go Git Em!!!

:cool:

·
Registered
831 Posts
I question if running towards the red line has any affect on carbon build up on the values. With a DI engine, no fuel ever flows across the values and that is true regardless of the rpm. When I was a kid, we would do this to clear carbon out of the cylinders, but I don't know if it really worked and I doubt it affected the valves.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,616 Posts
I question if running towards the red line has any affect on carbon build up on the values. With a DI engine, no fuel ever flows across the values and that is true regardless of the rpm. When I was a kid, we would do this to clear carbon out of the cylinders, but I don't know if it really worked and I doubt it affected the valves.

It's more complicated than that. And we know no fuel passes across the intake valves, hence the need for an Italian tuneup. To wit:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/182673-italian-tune-up-does-really-work.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/1vuesq/italian_tuneup_does_it_work/

·
Registered
831 Posts
It's more complicated than that. And we know no fuel passes across the intake valves, hence the need for an Italian tuneup. To wit:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/182673-italian-tune-up-does-really-work.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/1vuesq/italian_tuneup_does_it_work/
Yes, I'm very mechanical and realize it is more complicated, but I have read threads like the ones you linked to ad nauseam and let's just say I'm skeptical! I'm not saying you're wrong, I can't prove anything one way or the other. I just have my doubts.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Well, kids, I've done it with good results probably several thousand times over the past 60 years and it's worked every time.
My dad did it for years before i was old enough to drive. He called it blowing the cobs out. I've been in the family car many times when dad did that and it always worked.
So y'all do what you dang well please, as I know you will anyway, but I'll continue to use Techron every 3k miles and I'll continue to put the Hammer Down every time I pull out into traffic, and I'm sure my little 1.6 will continue to run like a scalded cat.

Happy Motoring!

PS: This is a place for the exchange of ideas, not a driving school, so I'm never telling anyone how to drive their car, only relating how I drive mine.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,616 Posts
Well, kids, I've done it with good results probably several thousand times over the past 60 years and it's worked every time.
My dad did it for years before i was old enough to drive. He called it blowing the cobs out. I've been in the family car many times when dad did that and it always worked.
So y'all do what you dang well please, as I know you will anyway, but I'll continue to use Techron every 3k miles and I'll continue to put the Hammer Down every time I pull out into traffic, and I'm sure my little 1.6 will continue to run like a scalded cat.

Happy Motoring!

PS: This is a place for the exchange of ideas, not a driving school, so I'm never telling anyone how to drive their car, only relating how I drive mine.
I used to do the ITU for my parents' '79 Caddy, 386 IIRC. It spent its boring life puttering around a small college town at 30 MPH max. When I came by I'd take the Cad out and get on the e-way, get it warmed up, and do a couple of on-ramp blasts. The crud that blew out was not WWII destroyer smokescreen-class, but it was impressive nonetheless.

Yes. Different time. Different car. Different design. Different everything. Except mechanical devices DO need exercise, whether they're living and breathing or made of metal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the opinions folks. I drove Rabbit-Golf diesels for many years and they ran best when driven like they were stolen. Not any performance to speak of, but things got really sluggish if they were babied. On to the Exclaim.....no more patience required due to being stuck behind slow pokes or other trying situations.......like hills for example.
Anyway, Techron and Tach redlining it is!
In moderation of course, maybe just once a day.....lol.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I'm afraid that I might have seemed like I was putting the hammer down by choice and nothing could be further from the truth.
When I'm getting out on a busy highway, from my subdivision, I'm usually jumping in to a spot in a line of traffic already moving at 60 mph +. So it's either GO or get creamed!

Likewise getting on I-75, which I do at least several times a week. I'll be joining traffic, three lanes wide, that are already moving at anywhere from 70 mph to 80+ mph. Fortunately, my little 1.6 has no problems with that. In fact, by the time I get over into the FAST lane, I usually have to tap the brakes to keep from running over someone.
The only one that gives me any sh** on I-75, is that danged Orange Lamborghini. I can be doing 90 mph and he blows by me like I was parked.

I read the posts from those folks that bemoan the performance of the Kia Soul, both the 1.6 and the 2.0, and I can only wish I had those cars for one week each. Low performance? I can fix that! :eek:nthego:

Sure, the Soul cannot perform like a Corvette, but she doesn't have a big throbbing V8 under the hood either. Instead of Kia putting a V8 under the hood, they put in a very High Performance little Four-banger. Speaking of my own little 1.6L, she's the most High Performance 4 cylinder engine that I've ever owned....and I've owned several. It only requires a little LOVE, to get the best performance possible.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

·
Registered
324 Posts
...they put in a very High Performance little Four-banger. Speaking of my own little 1.6L, she's the most High Performance 4 cylinder engine that I've ever owned....and I've owned several. It only requires a little LOVE, to get the best performance possible...
What you said. The only motor I have enjoyed more (so far) was the flat 4 in my Subaru. Smoothest motor I've had pleasure driving in a sub-20k vehicle. Looking forward to enjoying my Soul more!

·
Registered
831 Posts
What you said. The only motor I have enjoyed more (so far) was the flat 4 in my Subaru. Smoothest motor I've had pleasure driving in a sub-20k vehicle. Looking forward to enjoying my Soul more!
I love my soul, but there are far superior four bangers out there. The two liter turbo in the A4 I sold when I bought the hamster, is a stellar engine and an example. I just drove from west Michigan to palm springs California and the hamster struggled, a lot, in the mountains while the A4 took them without effort.

I haven't driven the the turbo soul yet, and when they add ventilated seats I will.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
^^^^^Very nice!! Glad you're enjoying your new Soul! :drool

Reactions: dkmc
1 - 15 of 15 Posts