Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have 2018 soul and the suspension is really really soft especially the rear suspension is extremely soft with two kids in it it bottoms out hard very easy i just recently but 18-inch wheels on it and when it bottoms so hard that the tires rub now it's been soft since I drove it off the dealership brand new any suggestions on new shocks or i was leaning towards a coil over set up. Has anyone else had this problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Put the correct offset wheels on!?
The right offset wheels have nothing to do with shocks & coils being way to soft it did the same thing with the stock wheels & tires with just my two little kid's in the back seat it bottoms out. I'm looking to see if or what other people put on there car's to stiffen it up

·
Registered
387 Posts
This is the first time I hear that the rear suspension is soft. I find it quite harsh on my 2019.

But, you can try to install something like this
spring_1_db816a4a5e0bbb896bfdeb1d6eb551b00b8dc8e1.png
To help you from bottoming out.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul ! 2.0gdi
173 Posts
So, I was really not trying to be a jerk in my first response, but it was short. I speak from experience, both good and bad. Those wheels pictured, although they do look great, and I am personally a fan, are only hurting your situation. My car, also a second Gen, has the stock 18" wheels on it, with stock tire size, and I have loaded up the back with shingles, far heavier than a few people in the back, and had no rubbing in the rear, even over two different sets of railroad tracks. Not saying I didn't slow down over them, but was still going fast enough that they would have bottomed out if they were going to. Yes, the soul does have a reasonably soft suspension, but it is not anything extreme, and should hold up just fine with normal use. I can't tell you how many people I see driving around with a full carload, **** loaded up to the roof in the trunk, and they aren't throwing out tire smoke clouds from the rear tires going over bumps. The extreme offset shown in your wheels does in fact make your issue worse. Before, with the correct offset, your tires would tuck into the wheel wells, and likely get another few inches of travel before they actually bottomed out. With the current wheels and tires the first point of contact is the outer fender, which is much closer. I am a Euro guy by default, and have worked on them in the OEM and aftermarket/tuning industries, and have a lot of experience with "stanced" cars and low offsets on FWD vehicles. Now, I currently have lower offset wheels on my Suzuki SX4, and I do still have some rubbing in the rear when fully loaded, but again that is my own doing because of an aggressive offset and slightly oversize tires. I knew this would likely happen, and I drive accordingly. Although I do not condemn the spacers listed about, they are in fact just a band-aid, and should be treated as such, and checked frequently for cracking and overloading pretty regularly. There are really only two suggestions I would have for your issue. First would be adding helper airbags. Airlift makes universal kits that would work in the Soul, and they really only help maintain height when loaded, and should be used accordingly. Also, I would maybe see about sourcing some springs from an EV as they were about 500lbs heavier because of the battery pack, so hopefully they compensated for that with heavier springs and such. Or you could just do this, and they should tuck nicely with the kids in the back:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Now THAT I LIKE! Gotta get me some of them for my gen 3!

A link, Mister Nobutter, please...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really think my shocks were bad from the get go and when i put my bike rack on & the bikes i
So, I was really not trying to be a jerk in my first response, but it was short. I speak from experience, both good and bad. Those wheels pictured, although they do look great, and I am personally a fan, are only hurting your situation. My car, also a second Gen, has the stock 18" wheels on it, with stock tire size, and I have loaded up the back with shingles, far heavier than a few people in the back, and had no rubbing in the rear, even over two different sets of railroad tracks. Not saying I didn't slow down over them, but was still going fast enough that they would have bottomed out if they were going to. Yes, the soul does have a reasonably soft suspension, but it is not anything extreme, and should hold up just fine with normal use. I can't tell you how many people I see driving around with a full carload, **** loaded up to the roof in the trunk, and they aren't throwing out tire smoke clouds from the rear tires going over bumps. The extreme offset shown in your wheels does in fact make your issue worse. Before, with the correct offset, your tires would tuck into the wheel wells, and likely get another few inches of travel before they actually bottomed out. With the current wheels and tires the first point of contact is the outer fender, which is much closer. I am a Euro guy by default, and have worked on them in the OEM and aftermarket/tuning industries, and have a lot of experience with "stanced" cars and low offsets on FWD vehicles. Now, I currently have lower offset wheels on my Suzuki SX4, and I do still have some rubbing in the rear when fully loaded, but again that is my own doing because of an aggressive offset and slightly oversize tires. I knew this would likely happen, and I drive accordingly. Although I do not condemn the spacers listed about, they are in fact just a band-aid, and should be treated as such, and checked frequently for cracking and overloading pretty regularly. There are really only two suggestions I would have for your issue. First would be adding helper airbags. Airlift makes universal kits that would work in the Soul, and they really only help maintain height when loaded, and should be used accordingly. Also, I would maybe see about sourcing some springs from an EV as they were about 500lbs heavier because of the battery pack, so hopefully they compensated for that with heavier springs and such. Or you could just do this, and they should tuck nicely with the kids in the back:

View attachment 137087

View attachment 137087
Yeah i think my shocks were bad from the get go and when i put my bike rack on & my bike's it has about 1" of suspension left evev my stock tires rubbed when it bottomed out. But it doesn't bounce up & down like blown out shocks do so I'm thinking they are just week

1 - 12 of 12 Posts