Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is long so please bear with me. I got the catalytic converter replaced in December 2021. Afterward I had to press harder on the accelerator to get to freeway speed and got poor gas mileage.

3 weeks ago the engine seemed stuck in low gear accelerating to freeway speed. It wouldn't go faster than 50 MPH and the engine was racing at over 4,000 RPM.

I took it to the dealer who said I put bad gas in and it ruined the catalytic converter. The check engine light never came on and there were no reports from other drivers of engine problems who went to the GetGo I went to. He said Kia would replace the converter at no charge and he gave me a rental car at no charge. Today with the car still in the shop he said they found the converter ruined the engine but Kia will replace the engine at no charge. He said it may take till June for my car to be repaired but I can keep the rental for as long as needed.

This whole thing seems strange like somethings going on they're not telling me, but at this point I guess I shouldn't worry. What do you think?

Registered
Kia is giving you a new engine, another 馃惐 converter and a rental at no charge. What鈥檚 there to worry about? In normal times, it wouldn鈥檛 take so long to get the parts they need, but because we live in a clown world right now, parts are taking longer to get. Hopefully once you get your Soul back, it will be as good as new.

Just curious. How many miles are on your Soul and how often did you change (and check) the oil? GDI (Gasoline Direct Injection) engines like the one in your Soul are pretty hard on oil and you shouldn鈥檛 extend your oil changes past 5,000 miles, and really you should use the severe maintenance schedule for oil changes which is at 3,750 miles (4,000 is fine)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Due to working from home I only have 16,000 miles for 4 years. The oil is changed every 6 months at the dealer. I was just curious why there are no reports on TV or our local community forum about other people having engine problems from going to that station. I imagine several hundred people use that station every day.

Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
Due to working from home I only have 16,000 miles for 4 years. The oil is changed every 6 months at the dealer. I was just curious why there are no reports on TV or our local community forum about other people having engine problems from going to that station. I imagine several hundred people use that station every day.
Probably because the Dealer scapegoated them. Why would they tell you that and in the same breath tell you they'll put a new engine in your car? No charge. It's called a pant-load excuse.

Registered
Kia is giving you a new engine, another 馃惐 converter and a rental at no charge. What鈥檚 there to worry about? In normal times, it wouldn鈥檛 take so long to get the parts they need, but because we live in a clown world right now, parts are taking longer to get. Hopefully once you get your Soul back, it will be as good as new.

Just curious. How many miles are on your Soul and how often did you change (and check) the oil? GDI (Gasoline Direct Injection) engines like the one in your Soul are pretty hard on oil and you shouldn鈥檛 extend your oil changes past 5,000 miles, and really you should use the severe maintenance schedule for oil changes which is at 3,750 miles (4,000 is fine)
o_O Sounds like my VW Beetle back in the '60s ! Believe the dealership wanted a 1500 mile oil change! However, the VW did not have a factory oil filter! They also needed a valve adjustment that often! What the heck!;)

Registered
o_O Sounds like my VW Beetle back in the '60s ! Believe the dealership wanted a 1500 mile oil change! However, the VW did not have a factory oil filter! They also needed a valve adjustment that often! What the heck!;)
The oil comes out of my 1.6L GDI engine coal black after just 3,000 miles (the old Soul and it鈥檚 trusty Beta 2.0L MPI is not nearly as dark after the same amount of miles and not even after 4,000. I don鈥檛 use full synthetic in that engine so I keep the oil changes around 4,000)

These GDI engines create a lot of soot, and I rather have short oil changes than keep that crap circulating around the engine. I highly suspect many of the oil burning issues on these engines and GDI engines from other manufacturers is due to extending oil changes too long. The 鈥渘ormal鈥 schedule says 7500 miles and in my opinion that鈥檚 too long. I鈥檓 hoping that by doing shorter oil changes, I prevent the car from ever burning oil. So far so good, but I only have 23k miles on it so far.

My friend had a Super Beetle back in the late 90s. I don鈥檛 know what makes it 鈥渟uper鈥, it was an interesting car though. And we were changing oil on it once. You鈥檙e right it doesn鈥檛 have a filter. There鈥檚 just some type of strainer to keep part numbers from getting through. It wasn鈥檛 stopping any dirt.

Registered
2014 Kia Soul RedZone
This is long so please bear with me. I got the catalytic converter replaced in December 2021. Afterward I had to press harder on the accelerator to get to freeway speed and got poor gas mileage.

3 weeks ago the engine seemed stuck in low gear accelerating to freeway speed. It wouldn't go faster than 50 MPH and the engine was racing at over 4,000 RPM.

I took it to the dealer who said I put bad gas in and it ruined the catalytic converter. The check engine light never came on and there were no reports from other drivers of engine problems who went to the GetGo I went to. He said Kia would replace the converter at no charge and he gave me a rental car at no charge. Today with the car still in the shop he said they found the converter ruined the engine but Kia will replace the engine at no charge. He said it may take till June for my car to be repaired but I can keep the rental for as long as needed.

This whole thing seems strange like somethings going on they're not telling me, but at this point I guess I shouldn't worry. What do you think?
Won't take much lookin on this forum to find more than a few cars similar situation to yours.
Your dealer is blowing smoke up your...
This is not 'bad gas' and your dealership knows it.
This is multiple recalls for oil consumption and cat failures due to oil consumption.
Thankfully, Kia Corp has stepped up and in most cases handled as straight warranty. As it should be.

You should be wary of and verify anthing this dealer tells you going forward.

Registered

Wow! I'm impressed and astonished KIA didn't leave you high and dry like so many posts I've read here. I'm happy for you. I honestly think you had a lemon from the factory and IMHO Kia did you a solid and recognized it as well and took care of you. Great news馃憤馃檹

1 - 9 of 9 Posts