Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Kia since late 2017 and since then I have switched out headlights about 6 times, twice in the last month alone. Anyone else have this issue? If so, what did you do to fix it? I'm getting tired of having to change my headlight constantly, not sure if it's a voltage problem or improper connection, but my right headlight has been changed out the most, the left has only gone out 2 or 3 times maybe. Husband says to take it to the dealership, but if it's something I can handle at home I would prefer to do that. Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
527 Posts
First of all make sure you are using the correct and quality bulbs. Those Sylvania brighter bulbs are only good for a few months from my experience. Next check your connector for any signs of burning, little melted plastic on the connector or a brown or black spot on it. The connector can be replaced and is often the problem.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Ya. The premium brighter halogen bulbs burn hotter and don't last as long are only slightly brighter than standard new halogens too according to Consumer Reports testing.

Try to minimize your handling of bulbs. Don't handle the glass with bare fingers. The minerals and oils on your fingers can reduce the life of halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Ya. The premium brighter halogen bulbs burn hotter and don't last as long are only slightly brighter than standard new halogens too according to Consumer Reports testing.

Try to minimize your handling of bulbs. Don't handle the glass with bare fingers. The minerals and oils on your fingers can reduce the life of halogen bulbs.
Great point, I just assumed everyone knows not to touch the bulbs with bare hands, use a Kleenex or latex gloves to take them out of the packaging and install them.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
198 Posts
...Try to minimize your handling of bulbs. Don't handle the glass with bare fingers. The minerals and oils on your fingers can reduce the life of halogen bulbs.
I always use rubber gloves when replacing bulbs for this reason.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Both of mine went out at about the same time last year (2010 KIA +); I run with them on all the time; got Sylvania replacements at Walmart; cheapest ones I could get - their brightness matches the stock ones; also picked up a box of latex gloves for the installation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts