Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Soul turbo with the double clutch automatic transmission, the car has 74k on the clock. When the car is cold and taking off from a stop the car jerks like someone learning to drive stick. I have seen on this forum a few guys talk about a computer adjustment, my concern is that the clutch needs to be replaced and an adjustment will not help. I took the car to AAMCO and he was no help so I guess next is to pay the dealer to look it. Do y’all have any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
The dealership is your only option. There is a special tool to set the solenoids that push on the clutch forks and then program. I'll post a picture of it in a bit. If you're the original owner and have powertrain warranty the clutch is covered as it is considered part of the "automatic " transmission and not a wear item.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dealership is your only option. There is a special tool to set the solenoids that push on the clutch forks and then program. I'll post a picture of it in a bit. If you're the original owner and have powertrain warranty the clutch is covered as it is considered part of the "automatic " transmission and not a wear item.
Why would the clutch forks need to be re-programmed?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Not the forks, the solenoids that push them since you're not pushing the clutch with your foot the computer does it for you through the solenoids in the picture. It needs to know where they are and adjust for clutch wear. The only way to do that is to put them on that jig and program it into the TCU

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I thought you were supposed to use The Force. :D :rolleyes:

I vote for you for most informative member in respect to technical details.

Which have just rocketed away into space since my first car, a '70 Buick LeSabre / land yacht. :ROFLMAO:
Thanks but you do realize that I have all these tools and Kia factory training, it's not like I just knew this stuff, it's my job to know as this is what I do every day and learn more and more as stuff changes

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Thanks but you do realize that I have all these tools and Kia factory training, it's not like I just knew this stuff, it's my job to know as this is what I do every day and learn more and more as stuff changes
Yeah. I discovered a long time ago this kind of knowledge and skill is not inherited and can't be learned by osmosis aka putting the book under your pillow at night. Also it helps of you have some talent in that type area, and character and motivation to put the work in etc. I appreciate your input as someone who knows their stuff. Seems my attempted joke fell flat. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is the recommended miles that the double clutch be replaced?
I was also reading on that the transmission fluid should be changed at 60k... this true?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Kia states that under normal driving conditions the oil does not need to be replaced, under severe conditions replace at 80k miles. If you are getting some clutch judder there is a test procedure that can be done. If your dealer is unfamiliar with it (we hardly see any) it is under software management in KDS and the procedure is outlined for them. If your car fails the clutch judder test your dual clutch assembly will be replaced under TSB TRA083. Kia offers some of the absolute best warranty you will find so schedule an appointment at your dealer to have it inspected and replaced if necessary.
To date I have never replaced the dual clutch assembly on a customer vehicle. I have replaced the entire transmission on a Niro with the dual clutch but it was not a clutch problem but an internal transmission fault. I don't see many with high miles though, some of the 1.6t Optimas that have that trans have around a 100k that I see and no issues. There is one Niro that comes in that drives Uber and Lyft, she has 185k on it last time she was in and the trans and clutch is just fine but that is a bit different set up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking for some advice/help 2016 Optima Turbo 43K miles just out of 5 year warranty. 84 Yr old Mother in Law car and she lives 800 miles away. She drove to bank and when leaving drive thru car would not move forward only reverse. When in drive engine would rev up and not move at all. Had towed to KIA dealer and they shy it needs and new dual clutch assembly. $2300 and not covered under 10 year drive train warranty. Something does not should right about their diagnoses of the problem. Sounds more like a linkage solenoid problem but that's just a guess. Any ideas???

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,124 Posts
Looking for some advice/help 2016 Optima Turbo 43K miles just out of 5 year warranty. 84 Yr old Mother in Law car and she lives 800 miles away. She drove to bank and when leaving drive thru car would not move forward only reverse. When in drive engine would rev up and not move at all. Had towed to KIA dealer and they shy it needs and new dual clutch assembly. $2300 and not covered under 10 year drive train warranty. Something does not should right about their diagnoses of the problem. Sounds more like a linkage solenoid problem but that's just a guess. Any ideas???
Here's the address for the Optima forum:

Kia Optima Forums

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I replied to your message. 1st 3rd 5th and 7th are on clutch 1. Reverse 2nd 4th and 6th are on clutch 2, if clutch 2 is not engaging 1st gear that is a possible cause of your issue. I have not seen many problems with the clutch actuators save for just one Niro where it began to leak fluid.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts