Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just finished designing and installing a stealth, custom sealed encloser (0.75 gross internal volume) to house a single 10", downfiring sub and Amp and still retain some storage within the cargo area. Still have some finishing touches to do on the box but I'm in no hurry to do that seeing as it's completely inconspicuous. Alpine W10S4 being pushed with a 2006 Punch P200.2 bridged (200w RMS x [email protected]) with PB1 bass remote and it's perfect for what I wanted.

Attachments

Reactions: TMann18!

Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
I for one appreciate seeing your project progress. Just do me a favor once you're done? Don't ride around my neighborhood! 馃槅

Sincerely,
鈥擜n Old Fart

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I for one appreciate seeing your project progress. Just do me a favor once you're done? Don't ride around my neighborhood! 馃槅

Sincerely,
鈥擜n Old Fart
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. No chance of that happening. I live 15 miles from the nearest town and 1/4 mile from my closest neighbor. I have a three hour commute, to and from, every day and finally decided that I wanted to have some Rocking Tunes for that drive.

Sincerely,
Another Old Fart

Reactions: Kerig3

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I have to figure something out and need suggestions. Apparently mounting the amp on the bottom piece of MDF was a bad idea. It has already sheared one of the screw heads off, from vibration, I'm assuming. So I'm thinking that I can put rubber washers between the amp and wood, but don't know if that is going to be enough to dampen the vibrations. Input needed from this great group of people!!!

Also, I still haven't made any final decisions on how I'm going to "finish" this enclosure. Suggestions are much appreciated!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
More install and design process for those in need

Attachments

Registered
Ok so I have to figure something out and need suggestions. Apparently mounting the amp on the bottom piece of MDF was a bad idea. It has already sheared one of the screw heads off, from vibration, I'm assuming. So I'm thinking that I can put rubber washers between the amp and wood, but don't know if that is going to be enough to dampen the vibrations. Input needed from this great group of people!!!

Also, I still haven't made any final decisions on how I'm going to "finish" this enclosure. Suggestions are much appreciated!!!
Hey, sorry for late view/reply. Maybe you haven't finished the box yet. I'll be doing the same thing soon for my wife's 2016, but for a single shallow 12 sealed in about 1.0 cubic foot, with clearance for a wider spare underneath.

Anyway, on your amp pullout issue, you could try to use hurricane nuts. They're basically machine threaded inserts that you put on the backside of a drilled hole, that you then run a machine screw through. I use them a lot on speaker box and baffle builds where I expect to install/remove screws more than once or twice, or where I think I want a more durable screw thread. You can put a lot more torque into those than just a wood screw into MDF.

I'd also recommend not hanging the amp from under the box and finding a way to put it on top- that way your screws aren't holding the entire weight of the amp hanging from the wood.

Registered

Sincerely,
鈥擜n Old Fart
Hahahahahaha! I'm personally quite proud of the fact I have the loudest Kia Soul in Omaha and perhaps in the midwest. If you've seen my post here I have two 10's and 4 kicker's running in the doors with a 900W amp (500 to the subs). My favorite thing to do is stop next to someone on the phone with their windows down and crank up some METAL!!!!!

Nice job rsfkevski

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, sorry for late view/reply. Maybe you haven't finished the box yet. I'll be doing the same thing soon for my wife's 2016, but for a single shallow 12 sealed in about 1.0 cubic foot, with clearance for a wider spare underneath.

Anyway, on your amp pullout issue, you could try to use hurricane nuts. They're basically machine threaded inserts that you put on the backside of a drilled hole, that you then run a machine screw through. I use them a lot on speaker box and baffle builds where I expect to install/remove screws more than once or twice, or where I think I want a more durable screw thread. You can put a lot more torque into those than just a wood screw into MDF.

I'd also recommend not hanging the amp from under the box and finding a way to put it on top- that way your screws aren't holding the entire weight of the amp hanging from the wood.
Hey Buddha, no worries as I don't check here as often as I should. I understand exactly what you're referring to although, the amp isn't mounted underneath. If you look in the pictures, there is ONE piece of MDF that covers the entire bottom portion of the enclosure (with the baffle attached to it) You can also see the Amp mounted in one of the compartments with wires running under the box to hide them.

In order to combat the vibration issue I added some left over sound dampening material to the bottom of the Amp and put it back in place. Seems to be working well, so far. I'll report back, if it shears another or take Buddha's advise and fix it once and for all.

Although the box is quite heavy (70+ lbs w/amp and sub) when driving down my dirt road/driveway, I could hear it rattling around so I took some 3/4 inch self-adhering weather stripping (for home windows/doors/etc) and attached it to the "legs" on the enclosure and voila, no more rattles.

With the down firing sub, I didn't have quite enough room to put the spare back underneath, so I just keep it on top of the lid that covers the box. 95% of the time, the back seats are folded down cause it just sounds SO DAMN good that way....LOL

Hahahahahaha! I'm personally quite proud of the fact I have the loudest Kia Soul in Omaha and perhaps in the midwest. If you've seen my post here I have two 10's and 4 kicker's running in the doors with a 900W amp (500 to the subs). My favorite thing to do is stop next to someone on the phone with their windows down and crank up some METAL!!!!!

Nice job rsfkevski
I do believe I have seen your posts and I did A LOT of research and reading before designing and building my enclosure. I don't call it a "box" because it's MORE than that, as you can clearly see. Anyways, you're build was one that I admired and got some inspiration from :D

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to be upgrading the Sub to a JL Audio 10W0v3-4 in the coming weeks. I'll report back after it's broken in and hopefully, have outstanding news.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts