1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
73 Posts
I read the referenced thread. My 2017 Kia Turbo does not exhibit any problem. The ONLY thing I try to remember is that when in stop and go traffic, I am driving a vehicle that APPEARS to be an automatic, but is really a computer-assisted manual, so obviously it is important to "not slip the clutch(es)", just as you would not slip the clutch on an oldstyle (UNcomputerized) manual transmission vehicle.

If you are getting the adverse symptoms noted in the other thread, there is something not right about your Kia's programming software, and it needs to be "reflashed" (software overwritten with latest version of the software).

Jim G

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I read the referenced thread. My 2017 Kia Turbo does not exhibit any problem. The ONLY thing I try to remember is that when in stop and go traffic, I am driving a vehicle that APPEARS to be an automatic, but is really a computer-assisted manual, so obviously it is important to "not slip the clutch(es)", just as you would not slip the clutch on an oldstyle (UNcomputerized) manual transmission vehicle.

If you are getting the adverse symptoms noted in the other thread, there is something not right about your Kia's programming software, and it needs to be "reflashed" (software overwritten with latest version of the software).

Jim G
I agree with Jim on this - my 2018 isn't anywhere near what some people are experiencing. Super smooth. Stop and go traffic of course is a bit interesting, but changing it to ECO for me does the trick. (I have a heavy foot and just want to GO)

·
Registered
620 Posts
I swear, the more time I spend with the Soul, the more frustrating this throttle tip-in issue gets. It's almost to the point where it's dangerous. You pull out into traffic, and the hesitation makes you feel like you're about to be rear-ended, then there's a sudden jerk of acceleration and the accompanying torque-steer. I guess I'll just brace my back for a rear-end.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I agree with Jim on this - my 2018 isn't anywhere near what some people are experiencing. Super smooth. Stop and go traffic of course is a bit interesting, but changing it to ECO for me does the trick. (I have a heavy foot and just want to GO)
There's no "ECO" mode on the U.S. Turbo model.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I have a 2014 with a 2,0 and a "REAL" Automatic... Lucky ME...<:)) (all the power I'll ever need)(Florida flat lander)

Note: If I have a "Need For Speed" I take "BIG RED" out for a walk...<:))
~ Click Me ~
Corvette6.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
You pull out into traffic, and the hesitation makes you feel like you're about to be rear-ended, then there's a sudden jerk of acceleration and the accompanying torque-steer. I guess I'll just brace my back for a rear-end.
I experience this same kind of behavior with my 2018 (!). I was thinking that maybe I had forgotten how to drive a non-CVT vehicle after having a Prius for 10 years. I have to try really, really hard to have smooth acceleration. Sounds like it might be time for a trip to the dealer, ugh.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have a 2014 with a 2,0 and a "REAL" Automatic... Lucky ME...<:)) (all the power I'll ever need)(Florida flat lander)

Note: If I have a "Need For Speed" I take "BIG RED" out for a walk...<:))
~ Click Me ~
View attachment 117237
I've had two 1969 Camaros, a Hugger orange SS/RS & a Green RS,
But That's has got to be my favorite classic muscle car ever ! ! Why do you tease me .......:drool

Oh, yes , my 2017 Turbo has got a touchy gas pedal,
but I've learn how to use it in my favor.:eagerness:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I tried switching off the traction control for part of my commute home tonight. I *think* it might have made a difference?? I'll try it again tomorrow morning, since I have a few usual "spots" where the acceleration is really difficult to do smoothly, and see if it seems to make a difference. *shrug* Could be placebo effect, too.

Update:
Drove my morning commute with traction control disabled. There was definitely a difference, acceleration was much easier during stop and go traffic, and for the usual spots where acceleration acted weird (accelerating and turning on bumpy roads turning into my work parking lot), it was much smoother.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I tried switching off the traction control for part of my commute home tonight. I *think* it might have made a difference?? I'll try it again tomorrow morning, since I have a few usual "spots" where the acceleration is really difficult to do smoothly, and see if it seems to make a difference. *shrug* Could be placebo effect, too.

Update:
Drove my morning commute with traction control disabled. There was definitely a difference, acceleration was much easier during stop and go traffic, and for the usual spots where acceleration acted weird (accelerating and turning on bumpy roads turning into my work parking lot), it was much smoother.
Kind of weird that traction control would do that. My experience is that light acceleration isn't possible. You have to stab the throttle to get any response, and at that point, the power comes on too strong causing you to chirp the tires, and fight the torque steer. I'll take mine in to the dealership sometime, but I don't know if it'll make any difference as I voiced concerns when I bought the vehicle new. I think even Car & Driver had some issues with their long term tester.

·
Registered
81 Posts
We have about 1700 miles on our '18 now. Throttle tip-in definitely... sucks. It's very difficult to get a smooth launch.

Coming out of our subdivision, turning right it's uphill at a pretty good angle, while turning left heads downhill. Trying to go right is REALLY difficult - I tip into the throttle gradually, and the car doesn't move much - as if I'm not adding more gas. Then it "catches" and lurches forward. Sometimes I get lucky and it's slightly smoother, but not often. Heading down the hill is a completely different story. Super-easy to launch smoothly and get the car in motion quickly without any of the disconnected throttle feeling of going the other way. On flat ground, it's a mixed bag, but mostly a pretty disconnected feeling.

I suspect this is all in the programming of the transmission & perhaps the throttle as well. Hopefully there will be an update available at some point that improves the situation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is weird, I agree. But now, after driving with it disabled, mostly, for 4 days, it is totally like driving a "normal" car again. I left the traction control on this morning for part of my usual drive, and yup, there was that stop sign step-on-the-gas-wait-wait-wait as I turn-OH-MY-GAWD there's the acceleration trying to pull me out of my turn feeling.
I pretty much never need traction control where I live. So, for me, it stays off until there's a solution (hopefully someday).

·
Registered
73 Posts
It is weird, I agree. But now, after driving with it disabled, mostly, for 4 days, it is totally like driving a "normal" car again. I left the traction control on this morning for part of my usual drive, and yup, there was that stop sign step-on-the-gas-wait-wait-wait as I turn-OH-MY-GAWD there's the acceleration trying to pull me out of my turn feeling.
I pretty much never need traction control where I live. So, for me, it stays off until there's a solution (hopefully someday).
Feliciasnh: I'm glad you posted this descriptino thta more accurately describes your situation. If THIS is the problem you have, the cause is simple: You are using way too much throttle from a stop - enough to cause the ECU to activate the traction control to prevent wheelspin. The Turbo version of The Soul makes incredibly high torque at low rpm - in fact, by 1500 rpm, it is already producing PEAK torque - enough to spin the tires if traction control were not activated.

I see you liver in Tucson, AZ, which of course does not get icy and snowy winters. Therefore, you probably never had to learn to drive on ice or snow. If you had, you would never be using as much throttle as you apparently routinely use from a stop. Doing that just ONCE in a wintry climate would scare the heck out of you, and would form habits that include more progressive use of the throttle instead of a heavy jab.

Again, I have had a Turbo Soul for 8 months now, and have no issues with its drivability. But then I learned to drive in Winnipeg Manitoba, where winters feature temperatures of minus 30F and the ice and snow on residential streets does NOT get cleared (because it's a losing battle for the plows and deicing does not work at minus 30F), so my throttle habits were developed THERE!

Just ease up on that throttle. The Turbo Soul is a hotrod that needs a well controlled throttle foot.

Jim G

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welp.
I spent 20 yeas in Massachusetts, and 20 years in New Hampshire. I pretty much know how to drive a car/truck/SUV in adverse conditions. This car behaves like no others I have owned.
So, I don't need to "ease up", and I've driven far more "hot rod" type cars than this little Soul.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Then why are you guys having the problem and I am not?? My Turbo Soul is a completely stock 2018 Turbo Soul. I have no issues driving it.

Jim G

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's good to see continued discussion on this matter. I think I will try disabling traction control - hell, I bump the button with my knee half the time, and drive quite a while before I notice the light anyway.

One thing I've discovered about the throttle drop when finishing turns is to brake a bit harder, dropping more speed earlier when entering a turn; and, then get back on the throttle sooner than normal and drive out of the turn. Carrying throttle earlier and then throughout the rest of the turn puts the car in the torque curve yielding a positive response with not throttle drop or hesitation.

Next, several months ago I decided to give Throttle Commander a shot. This plug and play device fits between the throttle pedal and Throttle Position Sensor (TPS); with its purpose being to eliminate throttle lag. After a month of trying to figure out why it wasn't working on the turbo version of the Soul, they finally conceded that it wouldn't work on that model.

Now, just within the last two days I have been contacted by Chiptuning (Europe) and DT-Power (U.S.) distributors of the same piggyback chip touting big improvement in both hp and tq for a variety of mostly European cars.

But, both companies also distribute Pedalbox, a throttle response device similar to Pedal Commander. I have followed up with both companies, and both have guaranteed they have a model of the device that will work on the Turbo soul. I am on the fence, but if I try it out, I'll report back here.

https://www.chiptuning.com/us/products.html Jurgen

Audi Performance Tuning Experts on all B9 Series Audis Aaron Alonso contact

Also, both companies guarantee (?) their devices leave no footprint that would void warrantees or fail smog testing, even in California.

I kind of backed into these devices with respect to the kia because I am considering the piggyback chip and Pedalbox for my 2018 SQ5.

If anyone else has any input regarding these companies or their devices, I would welcome your thoughts.

Steve

1 - 20 of 59 Posts