Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 soul suddenly stopped running [engine shut off] at a stop. All dash lights stayed on. There was no electrical failure. Car started right back up easily and ran fine. Saw on another Kia site there may be a software issue with the engine computer related to the hybrid Kia. There were no funny smells or noises. Has anyone else experienced this. Dealer couldn’t find any problems. Car set no codes. Hasn’t done it again in 3 days. Does anyone know if there is a software update available? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,769 Posts
So it only died once and then hasn't happened again?

There is no Kia Soul Hybrid.

Duplicate Thread

·
Registered
562 Posts
If it only happened once, I would not worry about it.
Just have a yabba dabba do time, have a gay old time! (y)

Hmm. I am hearing a certain word may have changed meaning since the Flintstones were on TV.
Barney? :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
7,943 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2017 soul suddenly stopped running [engine shut off] at a stop. All dash lights stayed on. There was no electrical failure. Car started right back up easily and ran fine. Saw on another Kia site there may be a software issue with the engine computer related to the hybrid Kia. There were no funny smells or noises. Has anyone else experienced this. Dealer couldn’t find any problems. Car set no codes. Hasn’t done it again in 3 days. Does anyone know if there is a software update available? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
My car has acting the same for about a year. Intermittent stall at times, usually preceded by a rough idle when sitting at a stop. No codes, Dlr can't find problem. 2017 base, automatic 17K miles.. Has done it probably 8 or 9 times in the last year. Very scary. It starts back up and runs fine. Please let me know if you find the problem.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Hardly doubt this is software related with your "Hybrid Soul" ? Could be a lot of issues, but I would try some fuel cleaning products, check the air filter, etc. Basic car maintenance.

·
Registered
747 Posts
1. Mileage?
2. Did RPMs drop preceeding stall? Normal idle speed idling in gear?
3. What fuel do you use? If from low volume station, some water may be present.
4. Condition of spark plugs? Are coil packs solidly connected?
5. Condition of battery ground to body? See photo in second link, post 1
6. Charging voltage at idle?
7. Has it ever stalled idling in neutral?
8. Driven in corrosive environment?
9. Vacuum hoses intact?
10. PCV checked?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,769 Posts
My car has acting the same for about a year. Intermittent stall at times, usually preceded by a rough idle when sitting at a stop. No codes, Dlr can't find problem. 2017 base, automatic 17K miles.. Has done it probably 8 or 9 times in the last year. Very scary. It starts back up and runs fine. Please let me know if you find the problem.
Just for kicks try turning off the blower fan & anything else drawing electrical power. See if the idle stabilizes from rough. If so it may be weak battery or alternator.

It would help to know the mileage on your car & what steps you have taken (eg: Techron usage, type of gas, spark plugs & PCV, air filter status) towards maintenance. Thanks :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Re post 10, question 3:
Circa 1994, my youngest daughter filled up at a Circle K in west Flagstaff and barely made in home to east Flagstaff. I pulled a fuel line, bypassed the fuel pump relay and pumped 2-3 gallons of water (92 Nissan Sentra). Fortunately, I was pumping into a 5 gallon bucket. Let it pump until it looked and smelled like gasoline.

A smaller amount may have only been intermittantly sucked into fuel pump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
All things in post 10 have been checked - I've run several cans of techtron through it - -no help - Battery went bad last week - replaced it - no help - charges 12.6 at idle and 14.2 at 2500 rpm - 60 amps - never happens at idle in neutral, only in gear at idle when coming to a stop. - Dlr no help at all - sort of acts like a lock up converter not releasing at times - I'm really unhappy with this car - I guess i'll have to trade it if it can't be fixed. I even checked the electrical system in the dark to see if I could see anything arcing , when torquing the engine - saw nothing. The grounds are excellent, with no resistance. ( 0 to .1 ohms) I guess it could be an intermittent coil pack, but how to catch it - - - It's such a great car other than this constant problem. Left it with the dealer who drove it for a week, but of course no problem found - - - Sets no codes - - - Really depressed - I hope it doesn't kill me - -

·
Registered
148 Posts
On my old '03 Focus, I gave up looking for the smallish parasite draining the battery. After pulling fuses and relays, I opted to connect a solar trickle charger to the dash input. It keeps things humming along. It bugs me to this day!:confused:
Far too many wires and hoses in new cars!:oops:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Only a couple questions answered.

1. Mileage?
2. Did RPMs drop preceeding stall? Rough idle proceeded stall, per post 8
4. Condition of spark plugs?
4a. Are coil packs solidly connected?
5. Condition of battery ground to body? See photo in second link, post 1
6. Charging voltage at idle? 12.6 and 14.2 @ 2500 RPMs
7. Has it ever stalled idling in neutral? No
8. Driven in corrosive environment?
9. Vacuum hoses intact?
10. PCV checked?

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
562 Posts
Great drill down list! However, For a 2017 model some things seem improbable..don't ya think? :unsure:
Most of the things on SportsterDoc's list are visual inspection & info.
Wrenching for the plugs & PCV. I have read problems removing the 4th spark plug.
PVC can be quick & simple if you just replace it with one already tested.
If you have the time and want to save money, learn for yourself & not be told.
You may want to look for these things first.
If you get the plugs out, might as well check compression also, after all that work.
Look inside that combustion chamber.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Trying to get answers to questions related to issues on this forum is frustrating.
The purpose of these questions is to help with elimination.
Is the issue spark or fuel?

Only a couple questions answered.

1. Mileage? Is it past due for PCV service?
2. Did RPMs drop preceeding stall? Rough idle proceeded stall, per post 8. Is the in-tank fuel pump occassionally sipping water, which has more effect at slow RPM?
4. Condition of spark plugs? ? I check one, every 20K miles or so and vary which one. Burning clean or no?
4a. Are coil packs solidly connected? Not a likely issue, but have come across it.
5. Condition of battery ground to body? See photo in second link, post 1. A corroded ground may have an effect. If in salty areas, I would remove, clean and reinstall yearly
6. Charging voltage at idle? 12.6 and 14.2 @ 2500 RPMs. Not an issue.
7. Has it ever stalled idling in neutral? No so, maybe the slower idle in gear may be of consideration.
8. Driven in corrosive environment? Pertains to 5
9. Vacuum hoses intact? A slight vacuum leak affects idle.
10. PCV checked? Pertains to 1.

Maybe these should have been organized better, but they were off the top of my head.

If electrical, most likely a poor connection. A coil pack or CPK failing would not likely be so occasional and a TPS issue should trigger a code/limp mode.

If fuel, water should be first consideration, before checking pressure or injector issues. Unfortunate that modern fuel tanks lack a drain, as found on aircraft

Not even knowing the mileage is definitely a hindrance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts