Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

2017 Kia soul Bluetooth Problems

26K views 70 replies 33 participants last post by  njfoey777 
#1 ·
We just bought a NEW 2017 Kia and the car only recognizes Apple phone.
It will not work with any Android.
When you press the Voice Activated button a message shows up saying that you need to hook Siri to the Bluetooth.
Any one else have this problem and if so is there a solution to the problem?

#5 ·
Hello we have this exact same problem with our 2017 EX. We called Kia Canada and they basically said that they could do nothing for us. They told us how to go through our phone and use Google voice recognition. This is not what we wanted. Our dealership has been a little more helpful but they don't know what to do either. I can't believe we are the only ones dealing with this. We are SO disappointed with with our purchase because we feel like we got scammed. Does anyone have any suggestions or guidance on how to solve this?

#7 ·
Well that is really unfortunate that your dealer let you leave without having our phone set up and paired upon delivery. My sales person did it and explained each step while doing it. None the less, Canada does a lot of things different. If I were yo, I'd completely remove all devices from the car's system and start over with the pairing procedure. Prior to this I would make sure the phone being paired is completely charged and up to date with it's own software. Outside with the vehicle running, good signal on the phone, all other devices other than the one you are pairing for priority are in the house or off, then I would go through the motions of Bluetooth pairing. I'm sure there are a dozen of youtube video tutorials on your specific brand of cell phone and Kia Soul pairing/trouble shooting/Q & A etc.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=2017+kia+soul+bluetooth+pairing

To be SO disappointed w/ something so trivial and easily fixed is a bit dramatic. Take a deep breath, relax and be patient. I'm sure you will figure it out.
If not I'd drive to the dealership and make them help you.

#6 ·
You may need to find a Millennial to help. Do you have one living close by?

;)

#8 · (Edited)
Hey Chef, noticing both the first 2 posts are "onesies" with vague locale & drives info. Seemingly very upset about a rather simple bluetooth hookup.

They called "Kia Canada" & Kia Canada said "we can do nothing for you." Really?

I sure hope they come back to show they aren't from troll-land.

:)

#11 ·
Thanks for the responses and suggestions. We took it to the dealership and they have no idea why it won't work. I know how to set up Bluetooth - in my 2013 Rio, as well as a loaner 2015 Forte, my phone paired perfectly and I had full functionality. I am a first time poster so I was looking for honest suggestions, not so much for posts advising me to calm down or suggestions that I was a troll. I would say that this is not trivial matter since voice command is an advertised feature. I live in Canada and the customer service rep I talked to from Kia Canada gave me a Google voice activation fix that involves toggling my phone to the sound system of the vehicle. However there is no screen interface so I have no idea if my phone is actually following my voice commands unless I look down at my phone. Two dealership service personnel have looked at this and they don't know why I am getting a request to use Siri/iPhone. I was wondering if this was a widespread problem and whether or not other EX owners have come across this. I would appreciate any constructive feedback or advice.

#16 ·
Yes the same problem here with a 2017 I JUST bought yesterday. Again perturbed. This is my second Kia... nee Loyalty. I want this damn thing to work and no I do not have iPhone nor do I want one. My Android is an asus zoom and is up to date but, Kia bluetooth accepts my contacts and shows my phone as paired but, when I push the hard key to voice command... Up flashes on screen something about Siri needed. WHAT??? WTF... come onnnnnnnnnnn man. Looks like last time for loyalty... pita!!

#12 ·
I would not be happy either. Is your phone up to date? Has anyone tried performing a soft reset of the head unit and trying again? Failing that, a hard reset and retry? Anyone try your phone in another similarly equipped 2017 Kia (Soul and any other model) on the lot to determine the scope of the problem?

#13 ·
I know right? You'd think someone in all of this story would have simply tried another unit in another car. The story doesn't make alot of sense.

Since nobody at the dealership and nobody at Kia Canada can solve this problem, it's unlikely anyone on a forum can solve it without seeing "whose on first."

It honestly sounds like a breakdown in what the user thinks Voice Command means in the vehicle he purchased. From the movie Cool Hand Luke "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

#17 ·
Okay its a little long, but read on it is helpful I promise. I bought my 2017 Kia Soul plus in April 2017. I am a teacher so when my Nexus 6P phone (which is up to date and should work with this) wouldn't pair I had to wait to take it to the dealer until yesterday, 6/22/17. I could connect with the bluetooth to receive calls and see my call list and MANUALLY dial from my touch screen, however the little talking face icon on my steering wheel when pushed would give me the Siri messages and tell me to connect to apple etc. So at the dealer in Chantilly Va the service people tried to pair their phones as well. One had an iphone and it did the same "Siri" connection message. Their service person talked to a KIA tech person to try to resolve the problem. They discovered a "Pit Stop" tech operations message posted to dealers September 2016!!! It states that 2017 Soul and Sedona models with a "base" audio system do not support voice commands with phones apple OR android! My 2012 Soul did not have this issue and it was...OLDER so this is unacceptable. Basically what they are saying is that the base model radio is not talking to the electronics on the steering wheel to allow the hands free voice commands whether you are Apple or Android. My dealer told me to call KIA Customer Affairs at 1-800-333-4542. So I did. They will try to tell you it is your phone's fault. I said no, that was not the case. When you go to your dealer with this issue ( and I know there are many of you out there who have this issue) have 2 people try to pair with the car. That way you can dispute this false claim that it is just YOUR phone. Anyway I said that this is a safety issue to have to manually dial while driving, and that all the written advertising at my time of purchase stated that hands free calling WAS a feature in my car, and that I was not hanging up or leaving my dealership until this problem was addressed. I had to really hang tough on the phone because they just want to give you a poor excuse and then get off the phone with you. Do this...
1. Go to the dealer to diagnose the problem properly. I was there over an hour.
2. When you call the 1-800 KIA number you have to ask them to call your dealer and compare the trouble shooting that YOUR service department did with what THEIR tech people think. Yes, you would think those 2 are one in the same, but apparently NOT.
3, After firmly requesting that they agree to talk to your dealer, make sure you have a case number and request that they call you back for follow up which would be in 2-3 business days.
I hope many of you will take the time to do that because I am thinking (just my thoughts not KIA) the only fix is to upgrade all of the radios in our 2017 Plus and Sedona (YP) models. I would love for you all to flood them with case numbers so that all of us can get our hands free features as promised when we paid $20,000 plus for our vehicles. Otherwise I love my Kia. My purpose was just to inform you all and help you, not rant, so I apologize. Good luck to us all! I tried to upload photos of the bulletin, but this site said the jpg was too large?

#18 ·
I have the same issue, and it is not a trivial issue. Kia needs to fix this. I tried my old Android and a brand new Galaxy s8, and neither phone worked. The Goigle patch is not safe because you have to actually look at your phone to see if it is working. My 2013 Soul paired beautifully, and the high-end model has a different system.

I think all 2017 Soul owners with this issue should post some negative reviews and call the dealer . This is unacceptable.

#19 ·
I have the same problem and I do believe the salesman knew this, but failed to let me know until AFTER I bought the car, the dealer can help, they said it is a know KIA problem, and only on the Soul for some reason. Kia just opted to only allow apple iPhones to work in this car, and there is no know fix...yet, that they tell me...that was one of the key features I bought this car, had I know that I would have never traded in my 2013 Soul as everything worked in it, if this is the fact, then KIA needs to supply all Soul buyers a Apple phone!

#21 ·
For your complaints to carry more gravitas (eg: US government action to force class action) you can detail your problems at:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

For future buyers concerned about this issue caveat emptor (buyer beware). Be sure to fully test your devices functionality with ANY vehicle before buying. Do not rely on assurances from salespeople or advertisements.

#22 ·
Dear GeoSoul,
Just so you are aware this is a real issue, not a lack of understanding with how to hook up a bluetooth. I only reply because this seems to warrant a class action suit if there are so many of us that are dealing with this issue. I had a 2012 Soul and had absolutely no issues with hands free voice control. Kia has decided not to support 2017 Soul and Sedonas hands free that have a base radio. Unfortunately, there are good sales people out there who have been left in the dark, or at least I hope that is the case. I am still waiting to get someone to return my calls about my case number and its been 6 weeks!
Take Care!

#23 · (Edited)
Hey Ladybug,

Maybe pump the brakes a little. I did not say it isn't a "real" issue. Clearly there is a breakdown in communication between what Kia either did or did not say regarding voice command & what people expected in this situation.

I'd like my Soul to have Wifi, I expected it to have Wifi. But the fact is it doesnt have Wifi. Is that Kias fault or mine? I should have personally verified that before I bought the car, no matter what a salesperson may have told me.

You've made your anger at Kia & the dealer abundabtly clear. People can only comment & give advice based on what & how you write it. After all this is a Kia Soul owners forum, not a courtroom.

I provided you with a direct link to one of the most efficient ways to document your complaint with the NHTSA. This agency has the power to litigate & force automakers to take corrective action. You can also call them to get guidance.

I guess you're welcome?

I think the bottom line is you are expecting a higher level of customer service. I really hope Kia can provide that. In the end it's the customer that really matters, right?

Truly wishing you the best in solving your problem.

Reactions: LadyBug2
#25 ·
Just to close out, here's what happened to my case. After 6 weeks, no one had taken any actions to investigate or even correct the problem of neither android or apple working with the 2017 Soul+. The lady I talked to was following a script it seemed and did not want to hear or believe me that nothing had worked when I took to the dealer to diagnose the problem. She put me on hold and finally called the dealer to speak to the service manager about what happened when I was there SIX WEEKS AGO!. She said my manager said the opposite of what occurred. I was so disappointed with the whole attitude of KIA. Even thought the sales people misled saying I had hands free capability after I asked repeatedly, the KIA customer rep. Sarah said that the car was working as designed and as advertised...not true. I have a card in my visor still giving tips on how to use hands free with my android phone. Bottom line, they would offer up to $500 for an Iphone. I don't want that. Stick a fork in it I'm done after six weeks and multiple phone calls. Love my car, just hate KIA....funny huh. So if anyone gets a class action suit together I'm in! Good luck to the rest of you. Let me know if you've had any luck getting this resolved. Over and out!

#26 ·
In order to use voice recognition in the Base Audio infotainment system in 2017 MY Soul and Sedona, an iPhone® must be paired and connected. Only an iPhone can work in able to use the voice recognition commands. As for other phones, you can still make phone calls using the touch screen.

#28 ·
I am having the same problem with my phone. I have taken it to the dealership several times and they have not been able to fix the problem. They have advised that my phone needs an update but my phone is fairly new and I have had all the recent updates. All other aspects of the pairing work but not the voice activation. It keeps asking for Siri/apple product. Based on what I am reading in these blogs this is an obvious problem with the Kia Soul. My dealership has offered to install a new radio but no guarantees that will fix the problem. Any ideas?

#32 ·
i have same problem with my 2017 soul plus. base radio not performing voice activation with android. kia motors said they advised dealers 8/16 that android would not work anymore for 2017. bluetooth would but not voice activation. STUPID! kia offered me $700.00 toward iphone which i dont want. It's not as easy as replacing the radio with The Next Step higher. Wiring is different. Not sure what to do at this point

#33 · (Edited)
It's a huge oversight by Kia. They need to put a big red label in every 17-18 base that says "this bluetooth radio does not accept voice commands for outgoing Android calls." Caveat Emptor..Buyer Beware.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.