Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 2013 Kia Soul 1.6l and after 100,000 miles is started to burn oil rapidly. I ended up trading it in and getting a new 2017 Kia Soul 1.6l.

This 2017 Soul has been running great but started to burn oil around 90,000 miles. I had regular oil changes and than I started to use Castrol Edge 5W-30 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil-the car still burns oil. I changed the pcv value and it still burns oil.

I than took it in to the dealership and explained the oil burning problems to them. I had a tune up done, oil change and than I needed to come back for an oil consumption test. The dealership also mentioned that I did not have the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty coverage. I had to call the 1-800 Kia Consumer Affairs department and ask why not. It seems that the first and last names were reversed in the computer system. I believe this is straightened out now and I do have the warranty coverage.

When I came back for the 1000 mile oil consumption test, I was 2 quarts low. About 10 days later and another 1.5 quart low of oil, I took my car back and left it overnight with the dealership. They added cleaning agents in the cylinders and changed the oil again. I need to bring my car back after another 1000 miles for another oil consumption test.

The service manager mentioned that the last 4 cars that went through this cleaning process, it fixed the problem. How realistic is that? What will happen if it still burns oil? Anyone else experienced a similar situation.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I work at a dealership. Prior to working at Kia I fixed many cars with oil burning by using injector cleaner and pouring it in the cylinders through the spark plug holes and leaving it in there overnight and then blowing it out. Kia does basically this but they gave us tools to inject exact amounts, tubes that connect the cylinders and have us crank the engine over and the cleaner runs between them etc... Basically they took a rudimentary approach and made it professional. To date we have had 100% success rate with the cleaner and system they have provided us so I would assume that you have an excellent chance of it working.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,682 Posts
I'm surprised they are having you go 1,000 miles before checking the oil kevel. Being down 2 qts on a 3.8 qt capacity is not a good situation, not to mention being down 1.5 qts 10 days later.

Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I am surprised that after having oil loss with your first 1.6, you go out and buy another 1.6.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I work at a dealership. Prior to working at Kia I fixed many cars with oil burning by using injector cleaner and pouring it in the cylinders through the spark plug holes and leaving it in there overnight and then blowing it out. Kia does basically this but they gave us tools to inject exact amounts, tubes that connect the cylinders and have us crank the engine over and the cleaner runs between them etc... Basically they took a rudimentary approach and made it professional. To date we have had 100% success rate with the cleaner and system they have provided us so I would assume that you have an excellent chance of it working.
Is this the "induction service" that they recommend for these GDI engines? My 2012 1.6 still burns oil after having the procedure. I'm not sure if any more or less (and not a large amount, but I do have to put in a quart or two between changes).
I've only had the car for about a year, and driven 20,000 miles, bringing it up to about 130,000, so I don't know what it was like previously. A carfax report indicated that the previous owners were good about keeping up with maintenance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is this the "induction service" that they recommend for these GDI engines? My 2012 1.6 still burns oil after having the procedure. I'm not sure if any more or less (and not a large amount, but I do have to put in a quart or two between changes).
I've only had the car for about a year, and driven 20,000 miles, bringing it up to about 130,000, so I don't know what it was like previously. A carfax report indicated that the previous owners were good about keeping up with maintenance.
No. The induction service is when they spray chemicals through the intake, usually through a vacuum line, to help clean the back side of the intake valves. It’s like the CRC stuff you buy in a can, but more powerful.

The service he was referring to is when you pour chemicals down the spark plug holes and let it soak overnight to help clean carbon off the stuck piston rings.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Induction service cleans the valves and burns out any buildup from the combustion chamber, probably has some effect on the oil control rings but I can't say for sure as I haven't taken one apart that has had induction services done on it. The rings get gummed up. There are methods for cleaning them without disassembling the engine. You can youtube methods, the BMW Doctor on youtube uses this and his video was pretty good. Kia has a similar remedy available to those still under warranty that experience excessive oil use and it works very well, just have a few fancier tools and attachments to perform the service but you can certainly do it yourself if you're a wrenching kind of person and know enough to not hurt your engine by hydro locking it or thinning out the oil by not flushing it out enough after the service.

·
Registered
232 Posts
What bwdz75 and rhysoul said. Reminds me of when I winterize my boat engines, I remove the spark plugs and spray oil into each cylinder, crank a little to get the oil dispersed, then put the spark plugs back in for the winter. In the spring, I don't turn over the engine till I've first removed the spark plugs and then crank the engine to force out excess oil with the spark plugs removed; this way you avoid a hydraulic lock and engine damage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts