Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on here know how to add transmission fluid to this vehicle without going to the dealer? Just looking to add, not check level or drain.

I have watched a lot of videos dealing with this vehicle and not one soul video is my transmission. My transmission has no dipstick, no filler plug under the air filter unit or a level check nut. So I'm assuming I have the complete sealed non serviceable transmission. I also do not have transmission fluid cooling lines going to the radiator either.

I hope someone knows a way to do this cause it's an absolute BS thing to do to vehicle owners. Let me know asap thanks.

· Registered
1,938 Posts
Why do you want to add fluid? Is there a leak?

I hope you’re not planning to put automatic transmission fluid (ATF) in it.

The turbo Soul has a DCT (dual clutch transmission) and it’s essentially an automated manual transmission and you use the same fluid as the manual transmission Soul which is GL-4, 70w. (Redline MT-LV is a good fluid to use)

Rectangle Font Line Parallel Pattern

Anyway, there is a fill and drain plug on the transmission. Any Hyundai or Kia with the 7 speed DCT will be a similar process. Here’s one video I found on YouTube

· Registered
2016 Soul !
261 Posts

The turbo Soul has a DCT (dual clutch transmission) and it is essentially an automated manual transmission and you use the same fluid as the manual transmission Soul which is GL-4, 70w. (Redline MT-LV is a good fluid to use)

View attachment 141079

Anyway, there is fill and drain plug on the transmission. Any Hyundai or Kia with the 7 speed DCT will be a similar process. Here’s one video I found on YouTube

Same video I just found. He shows the fill plug at about 1 minute in, that's as far as I watched so far (y)

· Registered
1,938 Posts
Same video I just found. He shows the fill plug at about 1 minute in, that's as far as I watched so far (y)
Me too. I just skimmed through it to make sure he showed that. There’s probably other videos but this one is good enough and shows where to fill and drain it.

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Does anyone on here know how to add transmission fluid to this vehicle without going to the dealer? Just looking to add, not check level or drain.

I have watched a lot of videos dealing with this vehicle and not one soul video is my transmission. My transmission has no dipstick, no filler plug under the air filter unit or a level check nut. So I'm assuming I have the complete sealed non serviceable transmission. I also do not have transmission fluid cooling lines going to the radiator either.

I hope someone knows a way to do this cause it's an absolute BS thing to do to vehicle owners. Let me know asap thanks.
BS??????? Since when do manual transmissions have a dipstick? This is exactly the same as they have been for the last 100 years, you have a drain plug and a check/fill plug. Might want to learn a thing or two about cars first before you make a statement that makes you look incredibly uninformed. From your statements alone I would suggest you take the car to someone who knows something about cars before you screw up your transmission. Why does your sealed transmission need fluid added in the first place and how did you determine that if you can't locate the check plug?

· Registered
2 Posts
BS??????? Since when do manual transmissions have a dipstick? This is exactly the same as they have been for the last 100 years, you have a drain plug and a check/fill plug. Might want to learn a thing or two about cars first before you make a statement that makes you look incredibly uninformed. From your statements alone I would suggest you take the car to someone who knows something about cars before you screw up your transmission. Why does your sealed transmission need fluid added in the first place and how did you determine that if you can't locate the check plug?
I have owned numerous manual transmission cars that have a dipstick which doubles as a fill plug.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The turbo Soul has a DCT (dual clutch transmission) and it’s essentially an automated manual transmission and you use the same fluid as the manual transmission Soul which is GL-4, 70w. (Redline MT-LV is a good fluid to use)

View attachment 141079

Anyway, there is a fill and drain plug on the transmission. Any Hyundai or Kia with the 7 speed DCT will be a similar process. Here’s one video I found on YouTube

Thanks for the info and video. I had a mechanic I've known for over 25 years take a ride with me to tell me what he thinks it might be. By the sound and the shifting of gears. He instantly said it's low on transmission fluid just by the sound.

At the time he couldn't do it for me but looked for a dipstick to check it and said himself' Oh one of these without a dipstick. Then I ran my vin number on auto part stores to see what fluid it takes and it was a newer fluid for 2nd Gen transmissions. Not once has a part store mentioned they consider the car a manual transmission so I figured that's what it must take.

Well I never put any in cause Kia told me on the phone only the dealership can check and change fluid cause it's sealed and not serviceable and it would cost me $485 and that was just to change 4qts. After doing research on that. I found it's because they supposedly chang the fluid with a machine going through the cooling lines. Even the dealership never mentioned it took DCT oil when I mentioned the fluid I purchased.

With all that said... I have someone doing it for me this weekend. I'll let you know if it was low like I was told or it's just another defect transmission.

bwdz75 - No need for your reply like that. I never said I was a mechanic and never had a vehicle without a dipstick. The Kia dealer even said it's because it's sealed to only be serviced by a Kia dealer and that's why it has no dipstick. If Kia is telling you this, obviously you are gonna have a problem with how they made the transmission.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An actual dipstick? Or a check level fill plug on the side like his Kia. I've never seen a dipstick on a manual trans, I would be delighted if you showed me at least one.
Subaru have dipsticks. My mother in-law had one on hers. When ever she was planning a long trip, she would ask me to check all the fluids in her car and top them off if needed.

· Registered
2,480 Posts
My harsh response was because you cried some kind of BS on something that is normal and standard in the industry.

OP, you have a double clutch manual transmission that uses computer controlled servos to do the shifting and clutches. It operates like an automatic from your perspective as a driver but from a mechanical perspective it is a manual transmission and not a hydraulic automatic like what you are probably used to. It does not take 2nd gen fluid, it is a gear oil just like most manuals. Your mechanic is not familiar with this model if he is suggesting adding fluid due to a shifting issue, you can drain all the fluid out of it and it will shift the same till it actually seizes internally. This is not a hydraulic automatic that responds to different fluid levels so he is dead wrong and has no idea what is in your car.
Just like most transmissions today it is very serviceable with the right knowledge but it does not provide a dipstick for the quick check that you used to do in your driveway on regular automatics (once again yours is an automated manual not an automatic). Something as simple as a fluid level check is something any real mechanic can carry out very easily and in minutes on a hoist.
It would probably be best that you ignore your mechanics advice regarding low fluid causing a shifting issue as it will not. You need to have this checked out at a dealership or a shop that is familiar with this type of transmission (they have been out a long time, had a 2006 VW with a DCT)
Your DCT (double clutch transmission) has 2 clutches (they are one unit when replaced but it is twin clutches) and if one of them is worn or out of adjustment you will have issues. One clutch works the even set of gears and the other the odd set of gears. There are 2 clutch actuators on the side of the transmission, there is a special jig that you use to set the rod length on them and then program the TCM, this is pretty much going to be just Kia dealers that have it as it is unlikely that an everyday shop would buy a jig that is specific to the Kia DCT transmissions. You may have an issue with a clutch actuator or the clutches themselves. The clutches are covered by Kia's 10/100k warranty if you are the original owner of the car.

· Registered
1,583 Posts
An actual dipstick? Or a check level fill plug on the side like his Kia. I've never seen a dipstick on a manual trans, I would be delighted if you showed me at least one.
I have worked on subarus but they had automatic transmission.
I too have never seen a straight drive transmission with a dip stick. Post a picture of one, then I'll eat crow. On any manual transmission upper plug is for adding and checking, bottom plug is for draining it.

· Registered
2014 1.6l manual
878 Posts
I have worked on subarus but they had automatic transmission.
I too have never seen a straight drive transmission with a dip stick. Post a picture of one, then I'll eat crow. On any manual transmission upper plug is for adding and checking, bottom plug is for draining it.
Was curious about manual with dipstick, found these on YouTube -

· Registered
1,938 Posts
I can’t add anything that Bwdz hasn’t mentioned (he is an experienced Kia tech) other than DCT transmissions sometimes have issues where they will “judder” at slow speeds like creeping along in traffic or in a drive-thru (there’s a TSB about it).

That would require a dealer visit since it seems like your regular mechanic isn’t familiar with dual clutch transmissions.

What type of issue, exactly, are you having with it?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can’t add anything that Bwdz hasn’t mentioned (he is an experienced Kia tech) other than DCT transmissions sometimes have issues where they will “judder” at slow speeds like creeping along in traffic or in a drive-thru (there’s a TSB about it).

That would require a dealer visit since it seems like your regular mechanic isn’t familiar with dual clutch transmissions.

What type of issue, exactly, are you having with it?
Has some jumping feeling in gears going very slow and recently started sounding like a remote control car through all gears and now has started slipping here and there but not always. Keeping it in auto sometimes takes longer than it should to shift unless I move it to manual and switch myself, even then sometimes slips and takes longer.

Another issue once in a while during take off from a dead stop, it will jump forward really hard and quickly even when I'm barely touching the gas.

· Registered
1,938 Posts
That sounds like the judder at low speeds I mentioned and what’s described in the TSB.

No amount of transmission fluid is going to fix that unfortunately, and the way the fill plug is designed you can only add so much before it starts to trickle back out.

Are you the original owner? How many miles are on the car? Bwdz would be able to let you know if there is any software updates to fix the issue, but I do not know. Read over the TSB linked above and ask your dealer about it. Maybe they can help you out.

· Registered
2016 Soul !
261 Posts
Has some jumping feeling in gears going very slow and recently started sounding like a remote control car through all gears and now has started slipping here and there but not always. Keeping it in auto sometimes takes longer than it should to shift unless I move it to manual and switch myself, even then sometimes slips and takes longer.

Another issue once in a while during take off from a dead stop, it will jump forward really hard and quickly even when I'm barely touching the gas.
It sounds like a clutch issue to me. I hope you don't go through with "someone is going to add fluid for me this weekend", especially if what you bought wasn't GL4 gear oil.

· Registered
1,938 Posts
You could try what’s posted in this thread. The poster figured out a way to trick the transmission to adjust the clutches to help with the judder.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That sounds like the judder at low speeds I mentioned and what’s described in the TSB.

No amount of transmission fluid is going to fix that unfortunately, and the way the fill plug is designed you can only add so much before it starts to trickle back out.

Are you the original owner? How many miles are on the car? Bwdz would be able to let you know if there is any software updates to fix the issue, but I do not know. Read over the TSB linked above and ask your dealer about it. Maybe they can help you out.
It's at 113,000 and nope, one owner before me that traded it in at 17,000. Thanks for the info, basically I'm better off swapping it out it out for another one with around 20k on it with a 6 month warranty for $900.
It sounds like a clutch issue to me. I hope you don't go through with "someone is going to add fluid for me this weekend", especially if what you bought wasn't GL4 gear oil.
Nah, at most just draining and adding new oil for now. I guess I'll be buying a used transmission for $900 with anywhere between 20 to 40k on it with a 6 month warranty. I do have a relative that will swap it out for two cases of beer but really didn't want to go that way. I was hoping for it to be just really burnt oil or just low. Thanks

· Registered
1,938 Posts
It's at 113,000 and nope, one owner before me that traded it in at 17,000. Thanks for the info, basically I'm better off swapping it out it out for another one with around 20k on it with a 6 month warranty for $900.

Nah, at most just draining and adding new oil for now. I guess I'll be buying a used transmission for $900 with anywhere between 20 to 40k on it with a 6 month warranty. I do have a relative that will swap it out for two cases of beer but really didn't want to go that way. I was hoping for it to be just really burnt oil or just low. Thanks
Before you do that, try the DIY clutch adjustment thread.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts