Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm new to the forums as well as new to being a Soul owner. I'm a senior Kia Tech at a dealership in Central Florida and I figured I'd share a bit of information on what I have and what I plan on doing.

I have a '17, almost completely optioned out "!" with the 18in wheels, pano roof, and the beloved 1.6T-GDI with the Mitsubishi-built 7spd DCT (kinda upset Kia didn't build a manual for this PT but that's just my opinion). I plan on building a dragstrip-ready daily driver, and so far I've had both good and bad luck.

Starting out, I bought a SXTH Engineering short ram intake for a Forte SX and it fit perfectly! It blends in with the engine bay and makes a great noise on top of that. I bought the option with the BPV delete, and I bought a filter from autozone just to cap the hose off, so it's essentially a $15 BOV. Next, I purchased a 3in Catless DP from Pierce Motorsports, and the fitment for that was also damn near perfect, other than pointing about a half inch lower than stock. Just a heads up, open downpipe without a cat makes our little hamsters shoot flames from time to time, but no rolling shots. The stock exhaust still bolts right up to it and the OEM exhaust sound is almost unchanged, but pulls feel a lot harder with the help from the DP and intake. Finally, along with HKS Spark Plugs, I purchased the Pierburg Wastegate Actuator Solenoid Upgrade from SXTH also, thought these are not necessarily a boosting upgrade but rather preventative maintenance. As far as tuning goes, I've heard great things about the JB4 Piggyback from BurgerMotorsports and I plan on reaching out to see what its all about, once I feel my little toaster is ready.

The only issues I seem to be having are finding a good set of coilovers and/or springs, as well as catbacks. It seems only the 2.0 gets love from exhaust manufacturers, or our cousins from Hyundai, that being the Veloster. While center exits look fantastic on the SK3 Souls, I doubt it would be worth the fabrication on the PS's. I managed to find springs on eBay from H&R and should have them by the 23rd of this month, and I can/will share my results once I've had time to break them in and put them to the test.

Other than that, I've found that many struggle to find accurate readings for boost as far as peak pressure goes. Being that I only use 93oct (premium here in FL), I'm closer to sea level, and I have some supporting mods, I've seen my gauge reach 120kPa, which is roughly ~17.5psi, which is quite a lot for the little snail shell Kia provided for these cars, although it's not abnormal to see these numbers. Aside from this, the best way to achieve peak performance out of any car, bust especially boosted vehicles is to use higher quality fuels, thought I'm sure many of you knew this already.

I hope this information is useful to someone out there, and feel free to ask questions and leave comments!

P.S., I plan on posting sound clips for the Intake once I get a chance. Cheers!

·
Registered
460 Posts
LOL! I love the handle.

Welcome! Thanks for sharing and please do stick around.

P.S. Lots of folks are lamenting the lack of standard shift options these days for all kinds of companies and models.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE: I've installed the H&R Springs and they ride great! I will add the link for the page below. The ride is a little bouncy over bumps and bridges, but it's a quick solid bounce as opposed to a floaty one, which gives it somewhat of a coilover feel. This little toaster loves to take corners down backroads though! I've also installed a SXTH Engineering resonator delete pipe for the intercooler hot side, took all of about 10-15 minutes, and it looks and sounds great! You definitely hear more of the turbo from the intake.

I also forgot to add links for all the parts I've installed so far, so here they are!

Resonator Delete Pipe: 1.6T Intercooler Resonator Delete Pipe (Includes Clamps)

Wastegate Solenoid Upgrade: Pierburg Wastegate Solenoid Upgrade

Intake: Short Ram Intake System (1st Gen 1.6T)

Downpipe: KDM Tuners

HKS MX45L Spark Plugs: KDM Tuners

H&R Springs:https://www.ebay.com/itm/H-R-loweri...rentrq:cad579751770a9cb216b8906ffc8d09c|iid:1

Once again I will try to upload photos as soon as I get a chance, but I hope this helps! Brakes and a catback (hopefully) coming soon!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Soul SX Turbo Tech
1 Posts
@BoostedToaster , what are the negative effects of not reconnecting the BPV? I've been debating between this particular intake from SXTH, but I also heard the Injen Short ram intake for the veloster turbo would fit as well and it appears to have the connection for the BPV.

Also, what do you reckon the overall drop was with those springs?

Really looking forward to seeing some pictures!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts