Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've searched through the forums and found a couple threads regarding this topic but none of them offered a fix, they're all about a year old so I'm hoping that someone might have more modern insight.

I have a brand new, 2016 Kia Soul + with the 8" navigation stereo option. I paired my iPhone (6S Plus running latest iOS) with the stereo, via Bluetooth, at the dealership. My phone is the only one that has been paired with the stereo and it was set as the priority phone. It works fine for answering calls and playing music except that every 3-4 times I started my car, I would have to go through the options of "iPhone discovered, would you like to set as priority phone?" and then hear the vocal prompts that my contacts were downloading. It was a pain so I decided to remove my iPhone from the stereo, I told my iPhone to forget the Kia, I restarted both, and re-paired both. Now, every single time I start my car I have to go through this process. Even if I disable "sync contacts" under my iPhone settings for the car, I still have to deal with the stupid prompt of setting it as the priority phone.

I have tried everything except resetting the stereo back to factory conditions, something I don't want to do as I don't want to have to deal with Serious/XM to get my 3 month trial up and running again (it was a pain when buying the car, the salesperson was on the phone for almost an hour with them just to get it going). Is there something else I can try? I'm taking my car back to the dealership on next week for other repairs (the salesperson discovered a nick in the windshield as well as three scratches on the front bumper before I left the lot) and additions (remote start, window tinting). I really don't want to add "stereo replacement" to the growing list of things that they need to add/fix with my car.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
I do not have your system but I did have a similar issue with my UVO. What I wound up doing was what you did, clear the phone of the connection to the car, eliminated everything from my UVO system and started over again. However, I did turn off my phone completely to empty out its memory and that did the trick. It has not asked me since then. The only other thing I can suggest is to reset the radio and that you have said you do not want to do. Oh, and my phone was a Samsung, not an Apple.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I tried clearing everything again. I removed the unit from my phone, removed my phone from the head unit's devices list, restarted my phone, and fully restarted the car. Same thing happens. So I did all of that and reset the head unit to factory conditions. I thought it was fine but, just this morning, it asked if I wanted to set my iPhone as the priority phone. I guess they'll just have to swap it out this Thursday when the dealership is installing my remote start as well as tinting my windows, sanding out a couple of scratches on the bumper, and replacing the windshield.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It definitely sounds like a head unit issue. Sadly, Hyundai/Kia don't have the most reliable head units, which is the reason they're only covered for 3 years or 36,000 miles, unlike the rest of the car. Mine goes in for replacement next Friday due to a line of pixels acting screwy.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
It definitely sounds like a head unit issue. Sadly, Hyundai/Kia don't have the most reliable head units, which is the reason they're only covered for 3 years or 36,000 miles, unlike the rest of the car. Mine goes in for replacement next Friday due to a line of pixels acting screwy.
actually you could say that for most of the other manufacturer too as their total coverage (except the power-train) is only covered for 3 yrs/36k as that's all the total warranty they provide for the whole vehicle. So if you purchased a Honda or Toyota (or most any other make) then you would still only get the same coverage on the head unit.

It would be nice if they did cover it like the most of the rest of the vehicle for the 5 yr/60k.

·
Registered
150 Posts
actually you could say that for most of the other manufacturer too as their total coverage (except the power-train) is only covered for 3 yrs/36k as that's all the total warranty they provide for the whole vehicle. So if you purchased a Honda or Toyota (or most any other make) then you would still only get the same coverage on the head unit.

It would be nice if they did cover it like the most of the rest of the vehicle for the 5 yr/60k.
Any other vehicles I've ever encountered with more than 3/36 standard warranty covered audio for the duration - the Olds Aurora had 4/50, as did Cadillac at the time. I'm sure there are others, but those come to mind. Other companies call the warranty "bumper to bumper," but H/K call it "new car warranty" due to the exclusion of audio equipment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts