Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called my local Dealer. About 4 persons into the comm array, I repeated my request for the torque value on the plugs. Said they'd call me once they looked it up on the computer. That's consistent with my experience here. An hour later, I gave up waiting for a call-back. Seems to me that this is a common enough task that someone should know it by heart. Eventually found someone's suggestion and applied to three plug units.

Remaining task: To remove the last plug; the one at the driver's end of the engine. It has a pipe connection above it. May be a fuel distributor unit. Seems to be a plastic fitting on it that can be removed. I tried rotating the coil pack, but something above needs to be moved. I'm not sure if this is a pressurized fuel line or not.

Anyone able to tell me how to get this plug (closest to the driver side) out so I can replace it?

BTW: The 4 plugs are about $90 at Canadian Tire.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I believe you have the GDI engine. Someone on here has a thread about that plug being blocked with photos. If it is the GDI high pressure fuel line don't touch it or be extra very super careful. It's blamed as the cause of most engine fires.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I called my local Dealer...I repeated my request for the torque value on the plugs.
Seems to me that this is a common enough task that someone should know it by heart.
They are probably giving you the run-around on purpose. "If he were paying us to do it, but he's not. . . . ."

·
Registered
256 Posts
Seems to be a plastic fitting on it that can be removed. I tried rotating the coil pack, but something above needs to be moved. I'm not sure if this is a pressurized fuel line or not
The problem is someone got the bright idea to bolt a pressure washer to the camshaft and mechanical jet blast a few molecules of gasoline into the chamber during compression.
Now you have to take some of it apart to change a plug.
There is a special tool to disconnect the fancy ring and free up the line.
Not that I've done one or even seen it in person, just pictures and pdf instructions.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
What torque did you end up using? Is this the 2.0 engine?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called my local Dealer. About 4 persons into the comm array, I repeated my request for the torque value on the plugs. Said they'd call me once they looked it up on the computer. That's consistent with my experience here. An hour later, I gave up waiting for a call-back. Seems to me that this is a common enough task that someone should know it by heart. Eventually found someone's suggestion and applied to three plug units.

Remaining task: To remove the last plug; the one at the driver's end of the engine. It has a pipe connection above it. May be a fuel distributor unit. Seems to be a plastic fitting on it that can be removed. I tried rotating the coil pack, but something above needs to be moved. I'm not sure if this is a pressurized fuel line or not.

Anyone able to tell me how to get this plug (closest to the driver side) out so I can replace it?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Can't reply via normal route, so ...

GEO 2: Gen 2 engine. 7# torque

·
Registered
456 Posts
Here's the thread that I started a little while back.

I still haven't gotten around to removing it yet due to it being high pressure the fuel line. Some have said removing the line wasn't a big deal and others have basically said to use extreme caution. I'm still a little ways yet from needing to service my plugs (currently @22K miles). Will try to remember to ask my buddy when I see him next...he is a Kia Master Tech so maybe he remembers the proper procedure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts