Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why wouldn’t it have a transmission filter? All the parts stores carry one...
When I called a KIA service center though, the tech and even a manager said the Souls do NOT have a filter! Two different people at a KIA dealer!
What!!?
I know it’s an often-overlooked maintenance item, but it’s downright ridiculous that a KIA dealer denies the car even has one. Is that possible?
I called AAMCO and they quoted me $189 - guy said his computer showed him it was a three hour job.

With so much conflicting info, I’m thoroughly confused; can anybody who actually knows for sure answer me this: do our automatic souls have a transmission filter, just like every other car I’ve ever owned?

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl ~56K km (35K miles) Michelin CrossClimate tires
204 Posts
Why? What do you want to do? Drain and replace the transmission fluid? Poor man's flush?

You could grab a factory service manual and have a closer look.

Draining and replacing or poor man's flush or a shop machine flush within a given time frame are important. Replacing the filter, assuming there is one, might not be so important.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,075 Posts
With so much conflicting info, I’m thoroughly confused; can anybody who actually knows for sure answer me this: do our automatic souls have a transmission filter, just like every other car I’ve ever owned?
what has that got to do with anything, do you think there is never advancements made in transmission designs?

The transmission is an in-house design by Hyundai/Kia which is technically a sealed unit (no longer a dipstick for the trans). There is very little in the way of maintenance on the transmission as stated in the manual.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It all depends on your definition of important, but for me it’s important to keep this car going as long as possible. To help do that, changing out the trans filter is absolutely vital.

I’m just over 100k miles now, which is the usual marker to take care of the larger preventive maintenance items; the transmission filter is always one of the primary jobs because it has a finite life; it’s a paper filter that gets jam packed with small metal shavings, and if left unchanged it will rob your system of its vital juices - similar to how a blood clot can ruin a good heart and body.
It.
Is.
Extremely.
Important.
The dealers always recommend a flush, of course, because they’re in the game of making money off repairs - or if all else fails, handing you back over to a salesperson to get you into a new model. But, a flush can free a lot of those tiny metal particles from the filter and redistribute them to new undesirable places.
With my cars in the past, I’ve changed my own filter (usually it’s a simple matter of dropping the transmission pan) or paying a shop for a couple hours of labor. In the Souls case, the pan is plastic and impossible for a mere mortal to take all the bolts out or without removing a bunch of stuff around it, so I was planning on paying a competent shop to do it for me; I would prefer to have an competent KIA dealer do it, but that’s the whole reason for my post... when I the called “competent” KIA service department, I was told by two people that the Soul doesn’t have a filter; flying in the face of not only conventional wisdom, but also what the third party shops are telling me. I’ve called several now, and have quotes ranging from $189 all the way to $300 - they all say it’s a big job, of course, but only KIA told me it’s an impossible job because the filter doesn’t exist.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Let's see. Outside shops say it's a expensive job and Kia says there's no such job to perform. Do you really believe the DEALER would tell you to forget about it and turn away what AAMCO says is a $300 job?!?!
If you believe a dealer turns down a profitable job like that, you've been quarantined too long..
See above comment - unserviceable SEALED tranny.

·
Registered
147 Posts
:rolleyes:Good enough! Definitely used to dropping the Pan!(y) Did the dirty deed on my Focus & E150 van. New filter and cleaned the pan magnet on the E150 van.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts