Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 soul + and when driving it will lose power, usually when coming to a stop at a traffic light. The engine doesn't stall, but gets very low power, very sluggish. the oil and battery light both come on. The tach drops to zero and the oil and battery light both come on. When I pull over and turn it off and turn it back on it goes back to "normal". It only happens about once or twice a week. It also sometimes has a problem restarting afterwards. I've taken it to a shop to read the codes, and no problem codes at all showed up on the scanner.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If your RPMs drop low enough it would definitely cause those lights to come on. I think you should start with the basics; fuel, air, and spark. Does your fuel pressure drop when this happens? Another thing to check is if the air filter is clogged.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I wonder if you have a real Kia battery or one of the auto parts store ones that doesn't fit the post properly. Pop you hood and see if you can wiggle your positive or negative cable on the post. If you can move it with your hand that's your problem, seen it a 100 times.
If the battery is good then all your symptoms point to a crank position sensor. It does set a code but if you turn your ignition off and then back on for whatever reason the computer doesn't store it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wonder if you have a real Kia battery or one of the auto parts store ones that doesn't fit the post properly. Pop you hood and see if you can wiggle your positive or negative cable on the post. If you can move it with your hand that's your problem, seen it a 100 times.
If the battery is good then all your symptoms point to a crank position sensor. It does set a code but if you turn your ignition off and then back on for whatever reason the computer doesn't store it.
I have very similar symptoms with a a 2015 1.6L 97K miles - my daughters car.
New Battery installed by Kia dealership. New Starter too. No check engine light and no stored codes. Traction light occasionally comes on after restarting but once again no CEL.
Dealer monitored live data with traction light on - they "forgot" the code they captured but it was related to Cranshaft Position sensor "A" .
Should also mention that this dealer installed an undersized battery in Feb/2022 and had to install a new one by April ( no charge). So you can understand my hesitance to trust this shop now
Added some techron the other day and waiting to use full tank of gas . Also changed air filter but it wasn't too bad .
Considering changing Crankshaft position sensor .
Is changing it worthwhile?
How much does a new CranShaft Position sensor cost - parts and labor.

Thanks in Advance
Dennis

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I can’t answer your other questions because I’m not sure what the traction control light has to do with the crankshaft position sensor, but that is a common failure on the Soul it seems.

All I can say is if you do change it, don’t buy the cheapest one you can find. With electronic parts, it’s sometimes better to go OEM from the dealer because the cheapo parts can cause more issues.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I have very similar symptoms with a a 2015 1.6L 97K miles - my daughters car.
New Battery installed by Kia dealership. New Starter too. No check engine light and no stored codes. Traction light occasionally comes on after restarting but once again no CEL.
Dealer monitored live data with traction light on - they "forgot" the code they captured but it was related to Cranshaft Position sensor "A" .
Should also mention that this dealer installed an undersized battery in Feb/2022 and had to install a new one by April ( no charge). So you can understand my hesitance to trust this shop now
Added some techron the other day and waiting to use full tank of gas . Also changed air filter but it wasn't too bad .
Considering changing Crankshaft position sensor .
Is changing it worthwhile?

Thanks in Advance
Dennis
It's your crank position sensor. Get one from the dealer but you can install it yourself if you have a 10mm socket, takes only a few minutes. Several write ups on here how to do it, it is one bolt and pretty easy to get at and make sure the old o-ring comes out with the old one or you will have issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's your crank position sensor. Get one from the dealer but you can install it yourself if you have a 10mm socket, takes only a few minutes. Several write ups on here how to do it, it is one bolt and pretty easy to get at and make sure the old o-ring comes out with the old one or you will have issues.
Finally captured DTC code ( P0335) - CEL was never lit but when i viewed live data it showed. got a new Crankshaft Position Sensor and replaced. Running like a charm now
Thanks so much !

Than

1 - 16 of 16 Posts