Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
On a routine inspection, I found that mice had been at work under the hood:

I applied some corrosion inhibitor and taped it up, and it works fine for now.

It probably will work fine forever, actually; but if I can get the harness inexpensively enough, I'll change it. But hours of searching have come up with nothing, and I'd rather not call the dealership if I can avoid it. Does anyone have a part number for the harness?

Another option is to purchase part 27350-2B000, which was used in 2012 - 2014 models, but appears to have the same connectors; and just snip one off and splice it in.

Thanks,

Richard

Registered
On a routine inspection, I found that mice had been at work under the hood:

View attachment 132498

I applied some corrosion inhibitor and taped it up, and it works fine for now.

It probably will work fine forever, actually; but if I can get the harness inexpensively enough, I'll change it. But hours of searching have come up with nothing, and I'd rather not call the dealership if I can avoid it. Does anyone have a part number for the harness?

Another option is to purchase part 27350-2B000, which was used in 2012 - 2014 models, but appears to have the same connectors; and just snip one off and splice it in.

Thanks,

Richard

Are you sure it wasn't the hamsters? 馃槀
How the heck could that possibly taste good.

Could you possibly find one at a junkyard from a scrapped Gen2?
(I personally have not visited a junkyard in over 30 years, so I'm no expert on the subject)

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure it wasn't the hamsters? 馃槀
How the heck could that possibly taste good.

Could you possibly find one at a junkyard from a scrapped Gen2?
(I personally have not visited a junkyard in over 30 years, so I'm no expert on the subject)
Could have been a chipmunk, too. Rodents in general are gnawers. I'm thinking about rounding up some stray cats and feeding them just enough that they hang around.

I've thought about a junkyard, but I'd also like to know if the harness is just for the ignition coils like it is in Gen1, or is integrated into the engine harness. If it's the latter, I'd rather repair it than replace it, especially with winter coming. If I had an actual part number, I could look it up and find out.

Richard

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I called the dealership, and apparently the ignition wires are now integrated into the engine harness from 2015 on.

The connectors on the coil side are still the same, however, and the old harness is available for < $25.00 from a bazillion online sellers (new OEM). So I'll just buy the older harness and transplant a connector. There's a limit to how much time and money I'll spend just to soothe my OCD.

Richard

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered the older harness from RockAuto for $12.04 plus shipping. I'll splice a new connector in and seal it up with adhesive-backed heat shrink tubing when it arrives, and call the job done.

I'm also going to buy some cat food and try to persuade the local feral cats to hang around more.

Richard

Registered
That's not fun, you are lucky they didn't do a lot more damage, damn vermin. This is happening a lot now, a friend was out almost $1500 to repair all the damage they did to his one year old Sienna Van.They chewed on just about every bit of underhood wiring.

Pat.

Registered
That's not fun, you are lucky they didn't do a lot more damage, damn vermin. This is happening a lot now, a friend was out almost $1500 to repair all the damage they did to his one year old Sienna Van.They chewed on just about every bit of underhood wiring.

Pat.

I wonder what attracts them to wiring over plastic or rubber components? They can't use it for nesting, can they?

Registered
egak is correct. Many insulators are now made from soy and even when they're not, rodents will often gnaw on wires to use for nesting materials as they resemble small twigs, although they'll use practically any debris for nesting. Rodents = Order Rodentia = from Latin derivation for rodere = means to gnaw.

Greg

Registered
You got off somewhat lightly this time-it doesn't take them long. I had my 2013 + invaded by rodents-they destroyed the entire wiring harness under the hood. Had it replaced under comp coverage with insurance(OEM new wiring harness). Insurance wanted to have the old harness remanned.which involved removing said harness and sending it to the wiring harness reman factory. As a retired insurance adjuster, I said NO as it would have taken 1 or 2 months. Insurance relented and paid for new harness. AR law allows used or reman parts on vehicles that are still under warranty, but no aftermarket parts.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I'm actively trying to recruit stray cats. This is my latest attempt:

If that fails, I'm building a cat house. They have plans on the Interwebs. Apparently feral cat shelters are an actual thing.

I also hung some spearmint bags under the hood as repellents. Hopefully they work. In the meantime, the car smells like a Chiclets factory.

Richard

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
You got off somewhat lightly this time-it doesn't take them long. I had my 2013 + invaded by rodents-they destroyed the entire wiring harness under the hood. Had it replaced under comp coverage with insurance(OEM new wiring harness). Insurance wanted to have the old harness remanned.which involved removing said harness and sending it to the wiring harness reman factory. As a retired insurance adjuster, I said NO as it would have taken 1 or 2 months. Insurance relented and paid for new harness. AR law allows used or reman parts on vehicles that are still under warranty, but no aftermarket parts.
Yes, it could have been much worse. Fortunately, I daily check under the hood for things like this. It's a bit of OCD combined with an aviation background. It'll be an easy fix this time.

I don't think USAA would give me much of a hassle. I've never had a claim, and the local body shop guy says their adjuster is a prince. But I'd rather not find out.

Richard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts