Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Thanks! So they said it was just residual oil on the plastic cover they forgot to clean off. I was skeptical. Didn’t argue, but checked my oil in lot before leaving. Entire dipstick tube came out with dipstick. Was sitting in there loose with no o-ring at base. Marched back in, showed service rep, they reinstalled tube with o-ring and it’s now secure. Topped off oil as well. Now question is, was that where oil was leaking? They weren’t clear but I can’t see how it wouldn’t have at least splashed enough for me to see the oil I saw. Glad if so because it’s then not the main seal. And goes to show, HAVE to be an educated consumer. I’m damn sure 90% of drivers would have not known until 5,000 mile oil change, or low oil pressure light came on because it all leaked out.
You’re probably right. That sounds like it’s very possible the oil came from the loose dip stick tube. That dealer needs to start paying better attention to the details. Overlooking things like that make me question the quality of work that was performed. Hopefully everything will be fine now. I’d check the oil regularly for a while to make sure it’s staying in the engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
For sure on paying attention to details. They’re a very busy dealer, and I’m sure techs are pushed hard, but that means they didn’t even check dipstick after filling it up. Will do on checking it. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Thanks! So they said it was just residual oil on the plastic cover they forgot to clean off. I was skeptical. Didn’t argue, but checked my oil in lot before leaving. Entire dipstick tube came out with dipstick. Was sitting in there loose with no o-ring at base. Marched back in, showed service rep, they reinstalled tube with o-ring and it’s now secure. Topped off oil as well. Now question is, was that where oil was leaking? They weren’t clear but I can’t see how it wouldn’t have at least splashed enough for me to see the oil I saw. Glad if so because it’s then not the main seal. And goes to show, HAVE to be an educated consumer. I’m damn sure 90% of drivers would have not known until 5,000 mile oil change, or low oil pressure light came on because it all leaked out.
Sounds like you found the problem for them. :unsure:

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
627 Posts
...And lastly, going to look for a magnetic drain plug....Magnetic plug might just help with that. Would expect filter to catch that as well but a plug is cheap.
I thought about going with a magnetic oil drain plug but some of the horror reviews on Amazon turned me off on the idea.

So instead I stuck a couple of high temp neodymium magnets to the outside of the OEM drain plug. Will see if they catch anything.

Prior to installing while I had the OEM plug out of the pan - with magnets attached to the bolt head, the threaded end would magnetically stick to a metal table.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 2014 spun the rod bearing at 70K miles. They replaced the engine under warranty. Went for my 1st oil change and it had a slow leak somewhere. Come to find out the transmission seals started leaking. I think this was because they jammed the engine in wrong the 1st try. Kia replaced the transmission under warranty. I had them replace the clutch. So I got a new driveline at 77K miles now LOL

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,583 Posts
For sure on paying attention to details. They’re a very busy dealer, and I’m sure techs are pushed hard, but that means they didn’t even check dipstick after filling it up. Will do on checking it. Thanks for your input!
You might even consider using an oil analysis kit at your next oil change just to make sure the engine is in fact, running the way it should (there's several brands to choose from). Man, you've been through alot on this, thanks for sharing the steps with us!

Amazon.com : oil analysis kit
Liquid Fluid Plastic bottle Font Gas

21 - 29 of 29 Posts