Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
2016 Soul +
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, as y’all might have guessed from the title, i have a 2016 + w the 2.0 that recently had a little issue. i was driving on the highway going about 70 when the car lost a majority of its power and i pulled to the side. apparently this is the same issue that some people have reported on the 1.6L. anyways, i took my soul into the kia dealership and initially they said they wouldn’t replace the motor bc it was past 50k miles (it had about 81k) and i’d be on my own to figure it out. ended up calling kia corporate myself and now they’re replacing it with a brand new motor free of change. idk if they’ve issued a recall yet but y’all might wanna keep an eye out for that.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,215 Posts
so, as y’all might have guessed from the title, i have a 2016 + w the 2.0 that recently had a little issue. i was driving on the highway going about 70 when the car lost a majority of its power and i pulled to the side. apparently this is the same issue that some people have reported on the 1.6L. anyways, i took my soul into the kia dealership and initially they said they wouldn’t replace the motor bc it was past 50k miles (it had about 81k) and i’d be on my own to figure it out. ended up calling kia corporate myself and now they’re replacing it with a brand new motor free of change. idk if they’ve issued a recall yet but y’all might wanna keep an eye out for that.
That's good news! Weird how they would bring up a 50,000 mile criteria? Did they think you brought a Honda in? ;)

Did they ask for oil change records?

Keep us posted on how this all works out for you. Best of luck!

2016 Soul +
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i bought it used at 60k miles. if i was the original owner i suppose it wouldn’t have been any issue. they didn’t ask for an oil change record. i even offered it n they were like nah. but i’ll keep y’all posted on all this. kia on the phone made it sound like this is the first time that they’ve done this for the 2.0 but that they’re planning to do a larger recall? idk. i’m just glad they’re doing what’s right. i miss my soul.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
i bought it used at 60k miles. if i was the original owner i suppose it wouldn’t have been any issue. they didn’t ask for an oil change record. i even offered it n they were like nah. but i’ll keep y’all posted on all this. kia on the phone made it sound like this is the first time that they’ve done this for the 2.0 but that they’re planning to do a larger recall? idk. i’m just glad they’re doing what’s right. i miss my soul.
I wouldn't hold my breath on a recall. They showed their cards with the "Severe Usage" letter.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath on a recall. They showed their cards with the "Severe Usage" letter.

Yes, GeoSoul, They do hold all the cards at this point!:confused:
You could change the oil every month and rotate the tires for what good it might do.:LOL:
The defect they won't address will still be there!:poop:(y)

·
Registered
7,215 Posts

Yes, GeoSoul, They do hold all the cards at this point!:confused:
You could change the oil every month and rotate the tires for what good it might do.:LOL:
The defect they won't address will still be there!:poop:(y)
I'd love to know the story behind "why the Soul wasn't included in the big recall." All the other similar engines from Hyundai & Kia experiencing these symptoms were, but we didn't make the cut.

Did they prove to a judge that the Soul just needed more oil, more often? Was the Judges last name "Castrol?" These are the questions inquiring minds want to know the answers to :rolleyes:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Was the Judges last name "Castrol?"
Hey, watch it:unsure:I'm using the GDI Castrol in my Soul:rolleyes: Used Castrol in my TR4 back in 60's o_O
They can hold the cards...we hold our breath..for other reasons:cautious: Stay Safe!

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Was the Judges last name "Castrol?"
Hey, watch it:unsure:I'm using the GDI Castrol in my Soul:rolleyes: Used Castrol in my TR4 back in 60's o_O
They can hold the cards...we hold our breath..for other reasons:cautious: Stay Safe!
Haha, I'm actually thinking of moving over to that too :geek:

This could make for a good TV Show: Judge Castrol - Lubrication Court
on mondays at 8pm

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
692 Posts
Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
I've heard that Pennzoil comes with a new engine. 😆
(j/k)
Hahaha! I've heard if you buy a second bottle you get 2 new engines!

Double couponing allowed.

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
818 Posts
Glad corporate took care of you!

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello! I, too have a 2016 Kia Soul + with 1.6L that was bought used at 50k. I was driving and suddenly my car stalled and I had to pull over. I took my car into Kia’s dealership and was told as well that my engine could not be repaired because it was past 50k! Can you Please enlighten me on how you were able to get into touch with Kia Corporate as our issues sound exactly the same!! I’ve been searching all over the internet for anyone experiencing the same problem and I sure am glad that I’ve found this forum.

2016 Soul +
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello! I, too have a 2016 Kia Soul + with 1.6L that was bought used at 50k. I was driving and suddenly my car stalled and I had to pull over. I took my car into Kia’s dealership and was told as well that my engine could not be repaired because it was past 50k! Can you Please enlighten me on how you were able to get into touch with Kia Corporate as our issues sound exactly the same!! I’ve been searching all over the internet for anyone experiencing the same problem and I sure am glad that I’ve found this forum.

well, not exactly the same; i’ve got the 2.0L which doesn’t have a recall in place already. the 1.6L does.

regardless, call the customer care line at 800 333 4542 press 2 then 5 and talk to somebody who will start a case number.

·
Registered
2 Posts
well, not exactly the same; i’ve got the 2.0L which doesn’t have a recall in place already. the 1.6L does.

regardless, call the customer care line at 800 333 4542 press 2 then 5 and talk to somebody who will start a case number.
Overall, it seems to be a Kia issue that they are trying to fix with this new system install but it’s too late for many of us! Thank you! I appreciate it!

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
You can go to safercar.gov and find many other folks like you. Good resource!

2016 KIA SOUL SUV FWD

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've heard of this happening. Last time i was at Chuck Olsen, here in Shoreline WA, the service dept manager had told me that a 2014 had the same thing happen. Had a 2.0 in it. Kia just swapped the engine out. 5 years later, apparently they wanted to know WHY the engine failed under 100k, so this gentleman got a new engine 5 years later, because they wanted to know why the engine quit. It didn't spit a piston out, like your did. I bet kia wants to know why your engine spit that piston through the block, as engines don't just reject parts.

A tangent.. Anyone else notice that when we refer to our cars, it sounds like we are just taking our souls everywhere?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts