Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My soul has 58,800 miles on it! Started oil consumption test! First one was 1.2 quarts in 1000 mile, then 1.5 in a 1000, this last one was 2.5 in 1495 miles! Just had compression test done today and it passed at Kia dealership! Don’t get it! It doesn’t smoke at all, no leaks! Gets shitty mileage now, lower bearing noise now! Dealer said next test would be to open valve cover ECT before they will put in a remanufactured motor in! These gdi motors suck!

·
Registered
333 Posts
What'll happen first?
Blown engine
or
Clogged catalytic convertor

Had you changed the GDI-oil with 5w30 synthetic every 3.5k (severe schedule), I'm guessing the engine would be using much less oil and still be running fine for another 45-50k.

Hope things work out for you ASAP, without hardly any out-of-pocket.

Reactions: celronart

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
GDI motors do not suck. They solved a problem by using GDI (much more complete combustion so more power and much better emissions) but most people cannot accept the additional maintenance that is required to keep the engine from getting carboned up and using oil (much of that is due to low tension oil rings not GDI anyway and that is in all engines last decade not just GDI)
A large part of the problem is that people do not follow their owner's manual and change their oil every 3750 miles like it recommends for severe duty which most of us fall under unless you live in a rural flat land with no dirt roads and only drive flat highways.
Your dealer will likely just clean the carbon off your piston rings and you will be just fine and enjoy your car for many more miles. I don't see them needing to remove the valve cover for any reason as Kia has a carbon cleaning kit out for engines using excessive oil and your dealer has this. They will need to keep your car over night to perform this procedure. So far we maybe got lucky but it has worked 100% of the time.
Check out this video on how important it is to follow your owner's manual for oil changes and fuel induction service on modern engines.
1.5L Ecoboost 5,000 mile oil change intervals internal look, piston and oil pan - Sludge build-up - YouTube

·
Registered
187 Posts
While GDI engines don't necessarily suck (by other manufacturers), (my two blown Kia motors tell me Kia motors suck). I think a lot of it has to do with manufacturers pushing the tech too fast to try to eek out the best gas mileage (thanks government). This includes GDI engines without proper engine reinforcement (Fords). Many manufacturers have gone to looser piston rings. Many GDI engines build up carbon big time. They are pushing the tech and it's biting them (us) in the ass! There are probably many who in fact want this to happen!

·
Registered
375 Posts
"A large part of the problem is that people do not follow their owner's manual and change their oil every 3750 miles like it recommends for severe duty which most of us fall under unless you live in a rural flat land with no dirt roads and only drive flat highways."
Don't you think if buyers were made aware of this strict oil change schedule before they signed a purchase contract, many would run for the hills? ;) I would have for sure!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My soul has 58,800 miles on it! Started oil consumption test! First one was 1.2 quarts in 1000 mile, then 1.5 in a 1000, this last one was 2.5 in 1495 miles! Just had compression test done today and it passed at Kia dealership! Don’t get it! It doesn’t smoke at all, no leaks! Gets shitty mileage now, lower bearing noise now! Dealer said next test would be to open valve cover ECT before they will put in a remanufactured motor in! These gdi motors suck!
I am in the same boat 2015 soul+ 65000 miles. kia does not consider under a quart per 1000 abnormal, mine is suddenly as of feb this year using 2.5 quarts per 3000 miles.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I am in the same boat 2015 soul+ 65000 miles. kia does not consider under a quart per 1000 abnormal, mine is suddenly as of feb this year using 2.5 quarts per 3000 miles.
What brand/type/weight of oil are you running?

·
Registered
5 Posts
"A large part of the problem is that people do not follow their owner's manual and change their oil every 3750 miles like it recommends for severe duty which most of us fall under unless you live in a rural flat land with no dirt roads and only drive flat highways."
Don't you think if buyers were made aware of this strict oil change schedule before they signed a purchase contract, many would run for the hills? ;) I would have for sure!
Well a recommendation is very different than a strict regiment. If the GDI demands that precision Kia needs to make it clear. But they don’t. Do they expect the consumer to understand the engineering design intent of the motor? My the literature needs to say; you MUST change the oil at these intervals or your car will die. Something dramatic like that.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,935 Posts
Change out that PCV valve. Takes 5 mins and under $10. It may help & should be done especially with an oil consumption issue.

Reactions: tmport

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try 5w-30 it should cut down on your consumption! Maybe even high mileage oil as well!
It’s not a high mileage car I don’t think it should use any oil @ 65000 miles. KIA’s shoddy engine design is the culprit. Won’t ever buy another but I’m stuck with this POS!

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you think only Kia and Hyundai’s burn oil,
you’re in for a surprise.

I agree that engines should not burn any noticeable amount of oil over a reasonable oil change interval, but this has been a problem for Honda, Toyota, Subaru, VW, GM, Ford and others over the past decade or so as well.

For the most part it’s due to the never ending quest for better fuel economy. Modern engines with lower tension piston rings, GDI, or turbos need a little bit more maintenance.

Shorter oil change intervals would probably have helped.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you think only Kia and Hyundai’s burn oil,
you’re in for a surprise.

I agree that engines should not burn any noticeable amount of oil over a reasonable oil change interval, but this has been a problem for Honda, Toyota, Subaru, VW, GM, Ford and others over the past decade or so as well.

For the most part it’s due to the never ending quest for better fuel economy. Modern engines with lower tension piston rings, GDI, or turbos need a little bit more maintenance.

Shorter oil change intervals would probably have helped.

I didn’t think that but thanks for the lecture.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Every time you go into the dealership for warranty work. That dealership is reimbursed by the manufacture, So the more visits the more money they get from the manufacture!

·
Registered
130 Posts
At about 94k it seemed like I was using a lot more oil than usual - like 1 quart every thousand miles or so. That's not... extreme, in my experience, but my first car was a '72 Datsun that burned oil like it owned a refinery, and I was used to a quart every couple thousand miles or so from then on. My 2014 ! was the first I'd own that DIDN'T chug a quart or so between changes... until it hit about 60k and then it started using a bit - maybe a quart every 3k. Didn't really notice it creeping up - until it seemed like I was having to add a quart every 600 miles or so this year. Took it to the dealer for a recall, 60k service package and transmission flush, mentioned the problem, and they did an oil consumption test - did oil change and sealed the dipstick and oil fill cap. So I drove it a thousand and took it back.

Turned out at 98-99k after a thousand miles the oil didn't touch the bottom of the dipstick. Work order said it was 2.5 quarts low.

They did a engine soak, refilled the crankcase, resealed the engine, and now I've got about 250 miles to go before we see if I get a new engine or not...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts