Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Fellow soul mates!! Newbie here... Hope everyone is having a good day!

Last week my motor went out on my 2015 Soul Exclaim. Dealer did say this was under warranty, but they are not seeing this issue in the 2nd generation souls. Looking here, I do see some of you are having this same issue with the 2.0 NuGDI motors. How many miles did your motors have before it crapped out? My husband is a mechanic and we actually drove the car the night before the motor died for our date night, that being said, there were NO Dash lights, no smell of burning oil, no smoke from the exhaust, no motor knocking, not a single indication of any problems until the dang thing was BONE DRY and ticking on my way to work the next day.

local Kia dealership has ALWAYS changed the oil and done that type of maintenance on the car. I was 500 miles away from the next recommended oil change. I do LOVE my SOUL; but am completely freaked out by this situation and am wondering what this new motor replacement means for the car value, warranty, etc. for me and remaining life of the SOUL.

Obviously knowing this motor is problematic for burning up to 1 quart per 1000 miles, the hubs and I will keep better monitoring on the fluid levels, but do brand new cars just burn oil????? :grey:

Thanks for your help and comments. Looking forward to getting to know you all and our cars much better!!

Christina in Atlanta

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,235 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums!!

Reactions: fridayfire

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,126 Posts
Hi Christina and welcome!

I think getting a brand new engine at 50,000 miles is a good thing. No cost to you and you basically get to start at zero. I've heard the new engine will be warranted for 10 additional years. Maybe you can verify that.

Yes, new engines can burn oil. Here's a little science behind it:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also have a 2015 Soul + with the 2.0 engine with 51,000 miles on it and the motor blew. I came off the interstate and engaged the cruise control after coming out of a long sharp curve. The engine revved beyond what I deemed safe and canceled the cruise. I turned the stereo and A/C fan off to make the engine wasn't making any noise. The engine sounded fine. I drove another 7 miles when I let off the gas because I was coming down a steep hill into town. When I let off the gas then front tires chirped. I thought the brakes were going to lock up but they didn't. The engine still sounded fine. I stopped at a light at the bottom of the hill. The car took off just fine. I stopped at another light a block later. This time the car had no power. I turned into a parking lot ASAP and that's when the engine sounded like a sewing machine. I shut it off immediately. The starter would not turn the motor over. I had the car towed to the dealership I bought it from. They said the engine threw a rod and they are covering it under warranty. This bothers me because this is the same problem that the Theta II engines suffer from.
Now for the bad news if you do not know by now. There is a huge backorder on these engines. Mine has been in the shop since 6/1 and there isn't an engine in sight. I've called the Kia customer service line but they'll just tell you the engines are on back order and that's just it. I finally got a VP from Kia call me. He apologized for the delay and said Kia might do something for the owners after this is over. He did say that there are around 2,000 of these engines are back ordered. So I would imagine this is going to be a long wait. You can call the dealership your car is at and you can find out where you are at on the waiting list. There are 10 cars at my dealership alone waiting on an engine and I'm number 4. They are putting in short blocks in these cars, not long blocks. This means they will reuse all of the external parts from the old engine plus the heads. They have already sent my heads out to be done. Don't expect a new engine with all new parts.
I'm going to wait until the first of September and I'll approach my dealership to see if we can work out a deal on a different car.

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
Thanks bobbatt, this is some good "real world" information that most of us probably aren't aware of.

I'm curious if they told you why it threw a rod?

Did it run out of oil or is this the "metal shavings" problem that prompted the big recall on some other HyunKia models?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hello, Well, this dead motor issue seems to almost trumps (can i say that) the motor fire issue!:blue: My 2015 Soul+ has only 6K in 3 years,so maybe I have time if it does not catch fire:blue: The dealer oil overfill maybe is OK now?:cold: Guess, I should have bought another Ford:fatigue: Wish you all good luck dealing with this nasty stuff. BTW, still paying for my Soul:victorious: Guess, I still LOVE my Soul:tongue:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ugh, I have the 2.0 engine. Can I un-see this thread please?
*runs far away from this forum, buries head in sand, and weeps forever*

If it’s something you can anticipate or watch for warning signs that’s one thing, but a catastrophic engine failure without warning? That’s scary stuff. ?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi nikschaf, You know, the real pisser is the Dealer & KIA just brush you off:blue: At my recent last service, I mentioned the TV news regarding motor fires:disturbed:Well, just got the brush off. Never got a response from KIA either! So, getting a bigger and better fire extinguisher :grey: Peace of mind for $20 you bet:joyous: What to do?:victorious:
BTW>Parking in the garage is not as secure these days!

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Scotty Kilmer...Dark glasses, flailing arms and crooked teeth...Kinda describes my ex-girlfriend actually.
While I find him increasibly hard to take this is probably the 1st video of his that made some sense.
The simple truth is that some things are simply better at doing what they do than others and cars are case in point.
Oil burning to some degree Is normal the question is what is normal and what is excessive/abnormal.

Q: when does normal oil consumption become abnormal?

A; the moment that car is out of warranty.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi Sradiator, Devolution got it right:victorious:

Q: when does normal oil consumption become abnormal?

A: when your salad really looks like soup.
A: and it's still under warranty.

Glad you could shed some light weight oil on the subject:rapture:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Asking why my cars burns oil is like asking why my waffles stuck in a stick free waffle maker?
Ok..ok...maybe not EXACTLY the same thing.
Every car is different, though perhaps manufactured the same.
Break in, day-day running, oil brand, filter brand (Nooooo not another oil filter thread) fuel brand, air quality, weather and tempature all factor in to some degree.
While you may think your car is impervious to these things it is no more impervious than the drivers themselves.
Too many factors to make a blanket statement that "cars should not burn oil"
In a perfect world, in a galaxy far far away, perhaps.
In this world...perhaps not.

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
Reactions: Soul.Master.007

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi GeoSoul, Thanks this Seattle Times article.Hopefully, Nelson in Florida keeps up the pressure.:joyous: Guess, we'll all have to wait for a letter from KIA. What about an engine flush(maybe not), and a big magnet drain plug in the oil pan? :eek:nthego: In Kia we trust:eek:nthego:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Ford re-engineered all their Direct Injection turbo engines to add Port Injection too. They Run PI at idle and low rpm's/loads, adding DI on higher rpm's and loads (but the PI stays to minimum 5%). Will this solve the issues of the DI engine? Time will tell...

Burning oil? Well, do you enjoy that great gas mileage? It comes with a cost... Lowering the internal friction in an engine by reducing the pressure of the rings on cylinder walls seems a great idea, until you see the blow-by and oil burning that comes with that.

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
Hi GeoSoul, Thanks this Seattle Times article.Hopefully, Nelson in Florida keeps up the pressure.:joyous: Guess, we'll all have to wait for a letter from KIA. What about an engine flush(maybe not), and a big magnet drain plug in the oil pan? :eek:nthego: In Kia we trust:eek:nthego:
Hey celronart, dang, you might be on to something. Some type of magnetic oil flush to capture the metal shavings and blow them out!

I think if you could bottle something like that, HyunKia would give you free cars for life :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hey GeoSoul, I'm not on anything,today:joyous: My Big Magnet thought comes from the tranny pan magnet in my Econoline van.
I've cleaned that baby's behind :eek:nthego:
Also, the magnetic oil pan plugs have been around for years. For KIA, this is probably not feasible or foolproof :disturbed:
It's all so complex :abnormal: However, if Kia could provide a magnetic oil pan plug, possibly we or they could at least confirm the potential destructive debris floating in the engine?? :joyous:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
1-If you run the oil for like 50k miles it's acidity level should be high enough to dissolve any metal shaving left inside from manufacturing.
2-Another SOULoution (see what I did there) is to purchase high mileage used oil and swap it out in your low mileage vehicle, hence dissolving said shavings.
3-A third soultion is to disregard my 2 previous misc ramblings and just move forward with Kia to correct the issue.

I'll take what's behind door #3 Bob...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi Stradiator, Yes, I'll go with Door #3...but it's locked.. or ain't there :eek:nthego:
The magnetic oil pan drain actually does capture some metal shavings. A metallic oil sludge that sticks (at least partially) to the magnet. Maybe,as an indicator that more serious problems do lurk down below :rapture:

The dipstick is plastic down there. So, a magnet, oh just forget it :indecisiveness:
What were you saying about Door #3 ? :excitement:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Hi Stradiator, Yes, I'll go with Door #3...but it's locked.. or ain't there :eek:nthego:
The magnetic oil pan drain actually does capture some metal shavings. A metallic oil sludge that sticks (at least partially) to the magnet. Maybe,as an indicator that more serious problems do lurk down below :rapture:

The dipstick is plastic down there. So, a magnet, oh just forget it :indecisiveness:
What were you saying about Door #3 ? :excitement:

Here's what's behind door #4: https://www.ebay.com/p/FilterMag-SS...Fiilter-Q/27017014391?iid=111704254675&chn=ps

1 - 20 of 85 Posts