Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I bought a used Kia soul Ev 2015 in Jordan Amman, and its the best electric car in the money range I set, the car was great in the past year but in a couple of months I faced some serious battery degradation, the milage range on the screen is 32mile on the full, and I am not able to find any batteries in the country and the delear here is not helping to get new batteries for the cars that have the same issue he even said that he won't help us, so i tried to get one from another country but couldn't find any sellers out there.
After everything closed in my face I tried to contact Kia main company but there was no way to get to them other than contact the dealer in my country, I am here because I think this is my only hope to get more information on how I can find a Batteries that can be shipped to my country or at least contact Kia corporate to find a solution with the dealer to support us with batteries, or suggest any batteries sellers that can ship to my country,

Thanks a lot and sorry for my bad English.

·
Super Moderator
9,508 Posts
Welcome on board, you English is fine. I don't know how much help we can be because in North America the EV is not sold very much and then in only restricted areas. Perhaps some of our European members can be of some help or some of the few EV owners here.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
There are some US dealers that sell them. Price is in the neighborhood of USD $13,000.00 with a $2,500.00 core charge.

I don't imagine that shipping would be cheap, either, nor that they would be willing to ship it to Jordan. Neither do I know that it would work with your country's electric standards. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to contact them.

Richard

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Have you been able to identify the cause of the battery condition? It does not seem like you should need a new battery so soon. They can last many years.

Is it possible there is another problem going on? Maybe the readout is even wrong. I would hate to see you buy a new battery & find out that it was not the core problem.

Also, a new battery is too expensive. I would search for a salvage battery. I would suggest looking for a company or person who may have expertise in EV battery problems/solutions. Get a consultation from them before spending too much money.

Check out the EV forum for like minded conversation & good information. Have you been able to determine the SOH (state of health) for your battery?

For what it's worth, conventional wisdom on EVs seems to lean towards leasing, not buying, due to their rapid depreciation & costly repairs as well as a rapid change in technology, leaving relatively new ones obsolete.

Kia Soul EV Forum

All the best.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If there is no support for EV's in your country, I would unload it. Besides the horrible cost of the Battery, they are quite complex, without Tech's trained with the required equipment you are at a dead end. With ranges approaching 300 miles, older EV's depreciate very fast.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome on board, you English is fine. I don't know how much help we can be because in North America the EV is not sold very much and then in only restricted areas. Perhaps some of our European members can be of some help or some of the few EV owners here.
Thanks alot Shaggy, i will check with them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are some US dealers that sell them. Price is in the neighborhood of USD $13,000.00 with a $2,500.00 core charge.

I don't imagine that shipping would be cheap, either, nor that they would be willing to ship it to Jordan. Neither do I know that it would work with your country's electric standards. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to contact them.

Richard
Ohh this is more than i am willing to pay for a battery, Anyway i will check with them maybe i could get good deals, Thanks a lot for the help, i really appreciate it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If there is no support for EV's in your country, I would unload it. Besides the horrible cost of the Battery, they are quite complex, without Tech's trained with the required equipment you are at a dead end. With ranges approaching 300 miles, older EV's depreciate very fast.
Yea, I guess so the problem is that the car has been used for 36 thousand miles so i guess there was a problem with the battery from the beginning, I am stuck with the car for at least a year I already lost 6 thousand dollars of its price. i will use the car for going to work only lol, anyway Thanks a lot sir i appreciate your help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you been able to identify the cause of the battery condition? It does not seem like you should need a new battery so soon. They can last many years.

Is it possible there is another problem going on? Maybe the readout is even wrong. I would hate to see you buy a new battery & find out that it was not the core problem.

Also, a new battery is too expensive. I would search for a salvage battery. I would suggest looking for a company or person who may have expertise in EV battery problems/solutions. Get a consultation from them before spending too much money.

Check out the EV forum for like minded conversation & good information. Have you been able to determine the SOH (state of health) for your battery?

For what it's worth, conventional wisdom on EVs seems to lean towards leasing, not buying, due to their rapid depreciation & costly repairs as well as a rapid change in technology, leaving relatively new ones obsolete.

Kia Soul EV Forum

All the best.
Not sure what caused the issue, i went for an electric cars engineer who checked the SOH and it was 48 or something as i remember, and there was issues with the some of the lithium batteries inside, so we tried to change 2 that was having a problem and it went good so after that i drove the car almost 110miles with a 80% only and it was awesome but that only lasted for a week then it went bad again because other lithium batteries went bad , so not sure what could solve this issue other than changing the EV battery itself.

I will search for salvage battery as it seems its my only hope for now,

Thanks a lot for the details and help, i really appreciate it sir :D.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
If I had to guess, it's the heat and the lack of proper cooling system that kills the battery. Contact the EV Guru, Rich Rebuilds on YouTube, he may help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I had to guess, it's the heat and the lack of proper cooling system that kills the battery. Contact the EV Guru, Rich Rebuilds on YouTube, he may help.
Hi Haim,

Yeah it seems so, summer here is really hot, i tried to park out of the sun but driving in the heat may caused this.

yeah i will check with him about it Thanks alot man much appreciated and sorry for the late reply.

·
Registered
238 Posts
You can buy almost any type of lithium cells from China, I'd probably just buy enough to replace all of them.

Found this video from a google search
they show the specific batteries with part number, you might be able to source them from the manufacturer. Some other good info in this thread where they compare the cells to other cars, there might be something that you can retrofit from another car. http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can buy almost any type of lithium cells from China, I'd probably just buy enough to replace all of them.

Found this video from a google search
they show the specific batteries with part number, you might be able to source them from the manufacturer. Some other good info in this thread where they compare the cells to other cars, there might be something that you can retrofit from another car. http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662
Thanks alot dude you are awesome, I will check it out

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Hi Tarifi, hope things are going well. Have you been getting anything better than 32 miles on a full charge, or is it still the same?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Tarifi, hope things are going well. Have you been getting anything better than 32 miles on a full charge, or is it still the same?
Hi sir,
The car can go up to 50 mile but on the millage screen it's 32 on full, and I don't think it will be better I have been charging to 80% instead of full as they recommended, also I changed my driving habits by driving in eco mode as much as possible but that didn't change the range any better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts