Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have a 2015 Kia Soul with 90,000 miles. I am the original owner. I have taken the car to Kia for all maintenance and oil changes. My car always idled rough when it was cold for the first few minutes. About 3 months ago my ECV went of course Kia repaired the car at no cost. 2 weeks ago my car started making the same noise again and the check engine light came on. I took it to the dealer immediately they said it needed a timing chain, tensioner, Constant Variable Valve Timing Control System. While tearing apart my engine for repair they found metal shavings in my engine. They are saying the rods are deteriorating and are replacing the engine, under warranty. I have read some other people who have had this problem on complaint forums and had several engine replacements. Obviously, I am not a car mechanic or car person. I am concerned with my warranty being so close to its end that this might happen again. Has anyone else had problems with their engine? Is it time to part with my car? Any advice?

Thank you,
Claire

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,606 Posts
Hi Claire and welcome to the forum!

You are not alone with this problem. I'm not sure how much you know about the Hyundai/Kia problem, across multiple vehicles, with this "metal shavings" problem AND engine fires. Check the link below for a discussion and links to other threads.

There is a class action lawsuit, that includes your 2015, in the works. While the Soul isn't recalled for this problem, the suit wants it, and other years added.

Other models that have been recalled receive an extended powertrain warranty to 120,000 miles (whatever??).

Is it time to part ways with your Soul? I would look at it this way: beyond this obvious inconvenience, you are about to receive an almost new engine, free of charge. Plus they will probably extend your Powertrain Warranty (which basically fixes anything related to the engine keeping your car moving) beyond 10 years. Often with a new engine like you're getting, they give you a new 10 year from the rebuild.

The Soul otherwise is incredibly reliable. I'd stay with this car, at least through the warranty period, unless you have another reason to dump this ride :)

Did you buy the car new? To have 90,000 miles on a 2015 is above average, but in a way you're very lucky it happened now and not in another 10,000 miles. Do you drive alot of highway or more city miles?

Keep us posted on your story and it's great to have you join us!

https://www.kiasoulforums.com/145-soul-problems-gen-2/112311-jalopnik-hyundai-kia-called-recall-3-million-cars.html

You can also scroll to the box entitled "Similar Threads" at the bottom of this page for more chatter on this topic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your responses at Kia they didn’t mention the extended warranty or anything. I feel so much more comfortable and confident that my car will be fine. I really like my car it is such a fun little car. I was just so worried this was going to happen again. I am a high mileage driver unfortunately.

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
666 Posts
That's the first 2015 Soul that I've heard of with that problem. You don't say which model you have (the 1.6L and 2.0L engines are different, and I think with other Kia/Hyundai it's always been the larger engines with metal shavings). It does concern me, since I also have a 2015 (albeit with the 1.6L engine) and no warranty (voided due to a few little dimples in the sheet metal, whether by hail or a motorcycle gang of hamster hating squirrels). Oh well, at my present rate of use, it'll be another 7 years before I hit 90K.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Why would your warranty be voided due to hail dimpling sheet metal? Maybe the paint warranty would be no good but hail doesn't "void" warranties. Also, your insurance should have fixed it. Hail isn't a warranty issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You may have noticed my thread which is a very similar problem to yours. I won't repeat myself here. Unfortunately, I am out of warranty by 4000 miles and they said Kia will still eat the cost of a new motor but not the labor which was quoted at 3000.00. I am hoping for a recall or extended warranty as well so that I will get that money back. Anyway, I am going on over 2 weeks with no update from the dealer but they did give me a brand new 2019 to drive in the meantime so I'm in no hurry to go back to pick up and pay for my 2014. They told me 10 days but I have a feeling it will be much longer. Good luck with your situation.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Why would your warranty be voided due to hail dimpling sheet metal? Maybe the paint warranty would be no good but hail doesn't "void" warranties. Also, your insurance should have fixed it. Hail isn't a warranty issue.
Because the insurance company totaled it and it was bought/bought back as a salvage vehicle?
At that point warranty is voided.

·
Registered
2012+ 2.0L W/Manual trans.
665 Posts
Anyone know how to determine which engine I have in my 2012 2.0L w/manual trans. and if it's one of the models with the manufacturing defects.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Anyone know how to determine which engine I have in my 2012 2.0L w/manual trans. and if it's one of the models with the manufacturing defects.
Hi neil,

All 2010-2015 Soul's are included in the Class Action lawsuit (for fires). To my understanding, no Soul's have been recalled for metal shavings. Kia's position is they will handle it on a case by case basis.

Other Hyundai & Kia models have been recalled en masse.

My guess is they will be forced to deal with the Soul fire & frozen engines by a court order.

Reactions: neiljrosen

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
If it is a plus, then it is, as you state, the 2.0L. Not the current GDI, but the previous MPI version. If you have the VIN, from your windshield, you can look up any recalls on that model. I had a 2012 ! with the same engine and I do not recall any engine problems but you need to look it up to be sure.

·
Registered
2012+ 2.0L W/Manual trans.
665 Posts
didn't you just answer your question?
Spare me the condescending attitude.

the engine problems have nothing to do with the engines in the Soul.
If you knew the difference between a design flaw and a manufacturing (process) flaw you would have understood my question.

"Anyone know how to determine which engine I have in my 2012 2.0L w/manual trans. and if it's one of the models with the MANUFACTURING defects."

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife's 2014 Optima had a recall notice about 1 year ago on it cause it has the 2.4 L and kia has a big recall going on for that motor and if I rember there are about 500,000 motors that fall in the time frame that could have metal shavings in it, when inspected it passed but it does not sound ok to me so hearing about your problem does not shock me and I would press the issue before the warante expires

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Hey neil,

You can get your engine specs (mines a DOHC GDI Gamma 1.6ltr) by entering your VIN here (it's free):

https://driving-tests.org/vin-decoder/

There's multiple places to check if your specific engine has been recalled (eg: safercar.gov) or I use the Kia Owners Website. It's pretty cool with alot of information about your car. If your Soul hasn't been recalled, there's no way to know for sure if your engine has any problem (your guess is as good as anybodys). I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it. It really is an infinitesimal amount of vehicles (not much solace however if it happens to you). Here's that link:

https://owners.kia.com/us/en/kia-owner-portal.html/

All the best!

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
666 Posts
Why would your warranty be voided due to hail dimpling sheet metal? Maybe the paint warranty would be no good but hail doesn't "void" warranties.
Because the insurance company totaled the car because of it (have a look at my garage pics, glass and trim pieces were replaced by the dealer I bought it from). Have you actually read your warranty? "What is not covered: Any Kia Vehicle that has ever been or should have been issued a "salvage" title or similar "branded" title under any state's law, or has been declared a "total loss" by a financial institution or insurance company."

Also, your insurance should have fixed it. Hail isn't a warranty issue.
Didn't say it was. Said Kia voided the warranty. In any case, it wasn't my car at the time. Apparently GEICO decided it was cheaper just to give the original owner a new car.

Mind you, I did get a Soul with less than 9K miles on it, for half of book value.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Because the insurance company totaled the car because of it (have a look at my garage pics, glass and trim pieces were replaced by the dealer I bought it from). Have you actually read your warranty? "What is not covered: Any Kia Vehicle that has ever been or should have been issued a "salvage" title or similar "branded" title under any state's law, or has been declared a "total loss" by a financial institution or insurance company."

Didn't say it was. Said Kia voided the warranty. In any case, it wasn't my car at the time. Apparently GEICO decided it was cheaper just to give the original owner a new car.

Mind you, I did get a Soul with less than 9K miles on it, for half of book value.

Is there an echo in here...in here...in here...

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 2012 Kia Soul+ is not in any recall list. I have proactively changed PCV valve (suggested in one of the post). There was a misfire from one of the cylinders so I have replaced all spark plugs and coils. No major issues to report other than a squeak sound (looks like body panel joints) coming from driver side door or under chassis.

Are we expecting any recall (due to engine fire) for this model?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello everyone! I just wanted to post an update. I heard back from the dealer today and the said the recieved my head back today and I will get my car back next week. I inquired as to why my head went to the machine shop she said they do that with all of the cars with engine problems. I inquired about extending my warranty as a result of this and she said that is not happening my car is not included in those vehicles. My warranty on the engine will expire with the rest at 100,000 miles. 10,000 miles from now. She doesn’t anticipate the soul being added to the engines with the recall. Just letting y’all know what my dealership is saying.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts