Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
I guess it proves that the decision to not expand and concentrate on quality has really paid off. We know that decision has been lifted and they are expanding again (eg: the new plant under construction in Mexico.). The big problem with Kia was the lack of capacity to meet demand.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,530 Posts
A total home run for Kia & Hyundai. Look at the company they are in for initial car quality. Amazing!

1. Porsche
2. Kia
3. Jaquar
4. Hyundai
5. Infiniti
6. BMW

9. Toyota

14. Honda

Kia Motors Corporation's Kwangju Plant 1, Korea, which produces the Kia Soul, receives the Gold Plant Quality Award in the Asia Pacific region.

Top 5.jpg

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
^^^^ Haha! I'm sure they were just providing backup for you :)

Reactions: cheferman65

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Soul specific Awards from yesterdays JD Powers IQS 2015 announcement:

Jd1.jpg Jd2.jpg

Reactions: Tape

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
A total home run for Kia & Hyundai. Look at the company they are in for initial car quality. Amazing!

1. Porsche
2. Kia
3. Jaquar
4. Hyundai
5. Infiniti
6. BMW

9. Toyota

14. Honda

Kia Motors Corporation's Kwangju Plant 1, Korea, which produces the Kia Soul, receives the Gold Plant Quality Award in the Asia Pacific region.

View attachment 67202
And this is why I expressed concern about building a plant in Mexico - I fear the build quality will drop.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ask anyone (like me) thats owned a Honda lately how badly their quality has slipped. Would never own another one.

The Koreans have come a long way in a short time.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
And this is why I expressed concern about building a plant in Mexico - I fear the build quality will drop.
That is a worry I have too. But in all fairness I noticed the Ramos Arizpe plant in Mexico, which produces the Cadillac SRX garnered the Bronze award for quality for North/South America, behind 2 Canadian plants. I think that is encouraging news.

Sadly, no U.S. plants received an award.

(These awards were for plants who produce for the U.S. market.)

Reactions: tampa8

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Only surprise is how high, but no surprise Kia and Hyundai have surpassed Honda and Toyota. As much as I like the CRV as an example, a very popular vehicle it does not have the fit and finish Honda has had in the past, and you can tell immediately the quality of the Soul. My wife was very skeptical when we first looked at ours, but sitting inside and the overall feel and look won her over. We felt the Honda alternatives were something short of that. (I never liked Toyota much so not considered)

To be fair, I don't consider JD powers ratings as the ultimate authority/info but it does have some credit and is a sought after award and rating.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Only surprise is how high, but no surprise Kia and Hyundai have surpassed Honda and Toyota. As much as I like the CRV as an example, a very popular vehicle it does not have the fit and finish Honda has had in the past, and you can tell immediately the quality of the Soul. My wife was very skeptical when we first looked at ours, but sitting inside and the overall feel and look won her over. We felt the Honda alternatives were something short of that. (I never liked Toyota much so not considered)

To be fair, I don't consider JD powers ratings as the ultimate authority/info but it does have some credit and is a sought after award and rating.
I was just like you Tampa, VERY skeptical when I went to look at the Soul. I'd done all my "homework" comparing brands, features and prices (the CX-5 & Soul were on my short list as I wanted a stick shift). I was almost sure I'd go with the Mazda, but needed to sit in the Soul & test drive it. It had me at hello.

And of course over a year ago I had no idea of the great IQS ratings coming from JD Powers last week, and how badly Mazda did in that same survey.

But I can't agree more with you, JD Powers isn't the shizzle of car ratings. But I feel none of the multitude of groups rating cars are completely accurate and/or trustworthy. As a consumer, I look at the preponderance of evidence offered up and formulate my opinion from that.

It was hard to find ANY bad reviews of the Gen 2 Souls, beyond the usual "doesn't have 277 hp" or "looks funny" worthless remarks.

One year plus later, I still couldn't be more pleased with this car.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Ok, I just can't enough of the 2015 JD Powers Ratings. They have redesigned their website (somewhat) and just in case you haven't seen this, they list the top 2015 Wagon/hatchbacks (even though I disagree with the wagon denotation, the Soul is as much an SUV as the HRV FWD or CX3 FWD models).

Check out numbers 4-5-6-7 and then look at the company they keep. Simply superb!

Top-Rated Hatchbacks and Wagons in the 2015 Initial Quality Study | J.D. Power

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
WOW superb is right. I just posted about yet another premium feature I realized my Soul has. (Hi fan goes to low when using the phone then goes back to high to reduce background noise) The interior won my Wife over when we bought ours and just feels like quality. I'm definitely not knocking Honda in fact that was what we thought we would be buying. I like many of their cars but when we compared it seemed to both of us the Kia line was just better and the Soul was a standout.

·
Registered
799 Posts
WOW superb is right. I just posted about yet another premium feature I realized my Soul has. (Hi fan goes to low when using the phone then goes back to high to reduce background noise) The interior won my Wife over when we bought ours and just feels like quality. I'm definitely not knocking Honda in fact that was what we thought we would be buying. I like many of their cars but when we compared it seemed to both of us the Kia line was just better and the Soul was a standout.
another feature! Too bad I cant bluetooth the car occupants into that system. phone rings, radio goes quiet and the people in the car keep yakking it up! Maybe a pre recorded Kia lady yelling "Shut Up!" with a Korean flair?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
another feature! Too bad I cant bluetooth the car occupants into that system. phone rings, radio goes quiet and the people in the car keep yakking it up! Maybe a pre recorded Kia lady yelling "Shut Up!" with a Korean flair?
Hey Sheep, I was thinking the bluetooth lady could crank up the voltage in the heated seats to "stun." That will shut them up!

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I think it would be funny to have a smart mouth Siri onboard. When you ask for FM1, she says "get it yourself, I'm busy."

Or on those days you're feeling low, she can be overly complimentary. So when you ask for FM1, she says "that's a brilliant choice in music" & "is that a new Axe Body Spray you're wearing?" :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
My wife told me her iphone voice (siri) was flip with her yesterday. She was exasperated at work and asked siri "whats the effin use? Let's get a drink"

She said siri told her " who me?" Then said "I figured as much". My android never sassed me. So far!

Reactions: GeoSoul
1 - 20 of 23 Posts