Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seventeen year old daughter driving home from school in 2015 Kia Soul, Wednesday, 29 January 2020. Midway going up a steep hill on a major busy highway, the car stared shaking and the engine stopped which left her in the right hand lane of a four lane highway. Highway 64, Fayetteville, TN, Lincoln county. This highway is a major route for large tractor trailers. Daughter turned on emergency flasher and exited the car for safety. Several people came by and helped push the car to the side of the road. This part of the highway has a small shoulder with guardrails due to the step drop off. Internet research describes other Kia vehicles with the exact engine failure symptoms that resulted in numerous recalls. This vehicle's VIN did not indicate a recall.

Had car towed to a nearby auto shop and was told there was severe damage to the engine. Talked with Kia customer service who directed me to have car towed to a Kia dealership. After a couple of weeks, Kia denied my claim for assistance.

I filed a complaint with the NHTSB. There are numerous complaints on this site describing engine failures with almost the exact same failure mode.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,759 Posts
Hey Ron, first off, SO GLAD your daughter is safe and wasn't hurt. Sounds like a terrifying experience for her.

I doubt anyone here can help you because your story leaves out any factual information about WHY the engine failed, beyond you read an internet search. It's very important to know why it failed, and WHAT failed.

Did it throw a rod? Did it run out of oil? When was the last time you checked the oil before engine failure? What type of oil is used in the car? Is it related to the high pressure fuel pump? Fire involved? Who worked on the car last?

I know that you are new here, but try browsing through the forum, use the ADVANCED SEARCH function, to educate yourself on what has happened here. With modern GDI engines, there is a certain level of responsibility and care required by the owners, and if that didn't occur, it makes it harder to file any type of claim, especially if you are not in possession of the original buyers warranty.

To me it sounds like your daughter may have been driving a car that had an engine run out of oil. You have to ask yourself WHY that happened. It sucks all the way around. Sorry man.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to ask myself why that happened? Really! Oil level was checked and it was full.

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
557 Posts
I have to ask myself why that happened? Really! Oil level was checked and it was full.
Hi Ron A,
You can do a search on this sight about using an OEM oil filter only.
That might relate to the K&N that was in service and how it could be subject to the failure.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
No need for attitude Ron. People won't want to help you. You use the word "failure" over and over but never say what failed or why. Did it throw a rod? Puncture the engine?

Things don't fail for no reason. Until you can calm down and ascertain why the engine failed, you're probably out of luck. If it was full of oil as you said, and it seized, have you found out why?

It's hard to believe your Soul didn't have the recall, because that entire year did. Best of luck with your issue.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I bet Ron's engine is in the middle of a recall. Some folks already received a recall letter, so if you get denied, lawyer up. They have all the ammo they need to start the class action.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Attitude? Should not make assumptions and then make statements based on that assumption.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Ron A,
That might relate to the K&N that was in service and how it could be subject to the failure.
The Federal Trade Commission has noticed Kia/H
Hi Ron A,
Thanks. On 9 April, 2018 the FTC issued a compliance warning to Kia/Hyundai that they will be in violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act if they try to require that only OEM parts be used. This can be googled on the internet. This warning was tied to Kia’s previous Technical Service Bulletin for using OEM oil filters only. The K&N oil filter is a very high quality filter that is stated to meet or exceed all Kia Soul spec requirement. I pay twice the costs than a Fram. I also live approximately 40 miles away from the closest Kia dealership and I prefer to do all my maintenance in my farm shop.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bet Ron's engine is in the middle of a recall. Some folks already received a recall letter, so if you get denied, lawyer up. They have all the ammo they need to start the class action.
There is a recall for specific 2015 Kia Soul VINs (not mine) issues on 22 Feb 2019. These are tied to engine failures that caused fires. There are currently 156 engine complaints on the NHTSA web site, the most recent 13 May 2020. The failure symptoms are very similar, some identical, to my car. I read an article this week where another recall is pending approval, but the Kia Soul is not included. I maintain all my vehicles properly, with premium materials, and the engine failure was a total surprise. Based on this failure mode continuing to happen to others, I expect a recall will eventually be available for my car. I have already bought my daughter another can and I will put the Kia in one of my buildings, and wait. I have already talked to two of my buddies who are judges and I contacted the law firm that handled the current recall.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Has anyone be able to ascertain exactly what it is that failed and what the damage is the OP is talking about?

I get that he says he maintains his cars and uses only premium products.

Did it throw a rod, pistons seized, catch fire, locusts?

He doesn't seem to answer the question.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl ~56K km (35K miles) Michelin CrossClimate tires
202 Posts
Ron, you will have to excuse some posters. They tend to get a little defensive about the Soul. Without tearing the engine apart, it is hard to know exactly what happened.

We own a 2015 Soul so I am curious to say the least. 2.0 litre engine? How many miles?

You said the engine oil level was full. How many days or weeks prior to this incident did you last check the oil?

If I understand correctly, you were running premium synthetic oil in the vehicle? Scratch that, I see in the New Member thread that you wrote: 5-30 Mobile One synthetic oil and K&N filter. Yeah... I would describe 5W-30 Mobil 1 as premium synthetic. There should be absolutely nothing wrong with a K&N oil filter (though I would personally steer clear of the K&N air filters).

Sorry this happened. Glad your daughter is safe. Thanks for sharing this unfortunate incident. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Westslope.
I appreciate your reply. It had 72004 miles on it when it failed, 2.0 engine. My daughter loves this car. It was a total surprise to me that it failed. I checked the oil level when I went to get the car after it failed and the oil level was full. I did not checked the oil in between oil changes as the oil level was full the last time I changed the oil. No doubt, it sounds like there was no oil in the engine. I started reviewing the internet for possible reasons for the engine freezing and that is when I read that this has happened to others. The engine has not been been disassembled, only compression tests have been performed. I can pay to have the exact failure mode identified, but not now.
As for other posters, ask me any questions you want and I will gladly respond, don’t insult me. I have rebuilt many engines over the years and I thoroughly understand how engines work (exception for the electronic chips) Currently rebuilding a 1976 Chevy short bed 4x4 with a 350 engine, 400 crank (383 torquer).

Thanks again,

Ron

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Thanks westslope for asking the same question I initially asked, in good faith, if the car had run out of oil. At least we got an answer which helps explain why it "failed."

This bring us full circle to the ongoing effort to educate Soul owners to frequently check their oil level & be cognizant of oil depletion rates, if they have developed one. Especially in engines over the 60,000+/- mileage range.

Having an an engine seize from a situation that is preventable is a bitter pill to swallow. It's not fair, but unfortunately reality.

I wish the OP all the best in getting some type of mitigation through Kia.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks westslope for asking the same question I initially asked, in good faith, if the car had run out of oil. At least we got an answer which helps explain why it "failed."

This bring us full circle to the ongoing effort to educate Soul owners to frequently check their oil level & be cognizant of oil depletion rates, if they have developed one. Especially in engines over the 60,000+/- mileage range.

Having an an engine seize from a situation that is preventable is a bitter pill to swallow. It's not fair, but unfortunately reality.

I wish the OP all the best in getting some type of mitigation through Kia.7’

GeoSoul - Thank you, but the oil level was full. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

For clarity: The engine oil level was full at the time of the engine failure. No prior indications of oil level issues. If the oil level was not at an acceptable level, I would not ask Kia for remediation. I do not know what is the exact failure mode.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seventeen year old daughter driving home from school in 2015 Kia Soul, Wednesday, 29 January 2020. Midway going up a steep hill on a major busy highway, the car stared shaking and the engine stopped which left her in the right hand lane of a four lane highway. Highway 64, Fayetteville, TN, Lincoln county. This highway is a major route for large tractor trailers. Daughter turned on emergency flasher and exited the car for safety. Several people came by and helped push the car to the side of the road. This part of the highway has a small shoulder with guardrails due to the step drop off. Internet research describes other Kia vehicles with the exact engine failure symptoms that resulted in numerous recalls. This vehicle's VIN did not indicate a recall.

Had car towed to a nearby auto shop and was told there was severe damage to the engine. Talked with Kia customer service who directed me to have car towed to a Kia dealership. After a couple of weeks, Kia denied my claim for assistance.

I filed a complaint with the NHTSB. There are numerous complaints on this site describing engine failures with almost the exact same failure mode.
Thanks to all who replied. I don’t think I can add anything more than I have already added. If you have an issue with your Kia engine, are in compliance with maintenance protocols, and do not understand why this happened, I recommend you go to the NHTSA for more information. You may consider filling a complaint with the NHTSA as this is how recalls are determined. There have been recalls for some models
/ VINs for particular failures. Best of luck to all. Ron

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For clarity: The engine oil level was full at the time of the engine failure. No prior indications of oil level issues. If the oil level was not at an acceptable level, I would not ask Kia for remediation. I do not know what is the exact failure mode.
Thanks Westslope.
I appreciate your reply. It had 72004 miles on it when it failed, 2.0 engine. My daughter loves this car. It was a total surprise to me that it failed. I checked the oil level when I went to get the car after it failed and the oil level was full. I did not checked the oil in between oil changes as the oil level was full the last time I changed the oil. No doubt, it sounds like there was no oil in the engine. I started reviewing the internet for possible reasons for the engine freezing and that is when I read that this has happened to others. The engine has not been been disassembled, only compression tests have been performed. I can pay to have the exact failure mode identified, but not now.
As for other posters, ask me any questions you want and I will gladly respond, don’t insult me. I have rebuilt many engines over the years and I thoroughly understand how engines work (exception for the electronic chips) Currently rebuilding a 1976 Chevy short bed 4x4 with a 350 engine, 400 crank (383 torquer).

Thanks again,

Ron
S
The Federal Trade Commission has noticed Kia/H

Thanks. On 9 April, 2018 the FTC issued a compliance warning to Kia/Hyundai that they will be in violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act if they try to require that only OEM parts be used. This can be googled on the internet. This warning was tied to Kia’s previous Technical Service Bulletin for using OEM oil filters only. The K&N oil filter is a very high quality filter that is stated to meet or exceed all Kia Soul spec requirement. I pay twice the costs than a Fram. I also live approximately 40 miles away from the closest Kia dealership and I prefer to do all my maintenance in my farm shop.
Ron, you will have to excuse some posters. They tend to get a little defensive about the Soul. Without tearing the engine apart, it is hard to know exactly what happened.

We own a 2015 Soul so I am curious to say the least. 2.0 litre engine? How many miles?

You said the engine oil level was full. How many days or weeks prior to this incident did you last check the oil?

If I understand correctly, you were running premium synthetic oil in the vehicle? Scratch that, I see in the New Member thread that you wrote: 5-30 Mobile One synthetic oil and K&N filter. Yeah... I would describe 5W-30 Mobil 1 as premium synthetic. There should be absolutely nothing wrong with a K&N oil filter (though I would personally steer clear of the K&N air filters).

Sorry this happened. Glad your daughter is safe. Thanks for sharing this unfortunate incident. Please keep us posted.
Westslope

Westslopw - I love Canada! I hope to get back there again one day!
Ron

1 - 20 of 33 Posts