Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I've been driving my new KIA Soul for nearly one month now and totally lovin' it!

I've had my eyes on the Soul for the past two years and very, VERY eager to get rid of my '08 PT Cruiser! I finally got the outstanding balance down enough to add some $$$ to the deal and was able to make the deal and pick it up on the same day!

I make deliveries and really am pleased that my AVG MPG has gone from just north of 17 MPG to between 24-25 MPG during this first month. I've had to make a decent trip across town using the Interstate system and was able to see the AVG MPG reach 30. So, I'm quite pleased....so far.

I do have one concern, though: I notice that the OB AVG MPG differs from the actual MPG when I do the math after a fill-up. The math I've done is showing a bit LESS MPG than what the dash shows. Is this something that should be checked out?

Also, I read recently about the Recall regarding the Accelerator Pedal. Has anyone gotten an official recall notice from KIA, yet?

Here I am on Day One with my Soul...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I was alerted about the discrepancy between the dash figures and the real world figures when I got my Soul. No worries. Mine actually gets pretty close at times. When I'm bored, I play with the reset button, while driving, to watch the figures fluctuate between 99 and 5 depending on the situation, which can be amusing. Enjoy your car!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
welcome and congrats on the new set of wheels :applause:

No there is nothing wrong with your gauge reading vs your math, this is very common, but if you tracked it over many fills ups you will probably find the overall difference is very little. We have a massive thread on mileage where you will see that this comes up time and time again. The gauge is simply a guide with an estimate as to what you are roughly getting. http://www.kiasoulforums.com/2-soul-general-discussion/213-questions-complaints-about-mpg.html

You will get a notice with regards the accelerator pedal if it applies to your vehicle. If your vehicle happened to be built after Jan 8th then it wouldn't apply, you can check with your dealer also. http://www.kiasoulforums.com/10-soul-problems/17337-recall-list-sticky-8.html

TIP: if you could add Base AT to your DRIVES details that would be helpful for us in responding to future comments and questions - thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,118 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums! :applause:

Reactions: Lewis.T

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow, kinda funny. I bought my black base at on feb 3rd and traded an 05 pt convertable. I am very happy with the improved mileage. Hope your loving your new ride and welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
welcome and congrats on the new set of wheels :applause:

No there is nothing wrong with your gauge reading vs your math, this is very common, but if you tracked it over many fills ups you will probably find the overall difference is very little. We have a massive thread on mileage where you will see that this comes up time and time again. The gauge is simply a guide with an estimate as to what you are roughly getting. http://www.kiasoulforums.com/2-soul-general-discussion/213-questions-complaints-about-mpg.html

You will get a notice with regards the accelerator pedal if it applies to your vehicle. If your vehicle happened to be built after Jan 8th then it wouldn't apply, you can check with your dealer also. http://www.kiasoulforums.com/10-soul-problems/17337-recall-list-sticky-8.html

TIP: if you could add Base AT to your DRIVES details that would be helpful for us in responding to future comments and questions - thanks.
I'm happy to oblige re: Adding Base AT to my profile. But, isn't it more accurate to add AT+? Or, do all AT's include the feature?

Also, my Soul came off the assembly 11/14. So, I am assuming mine will be affected by the accelerator pedal recall. What about the ACU I'm reading about?

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
I'm happy to oblige re: Adding Base AT to my profile. But, isn't it more accurate to add AT+? Or, do all AT's include the feature?

Also, my Soul came off the assembly 11/14. So, I am assuming mine will be affected by the accelerator pedal recall. What about the ACU I'm reading about?
thanks, but leave off the + as that can get confused with the + (Plus) model. Not sure what you mean when you say "do all AT's include the feature" - what feature? Base AT's have more standard equipment than MT models, hence the reason for specifying which one in your Drive info. Also if you start talking about transmission situations we need to know this. From 2014> all Plus and Exclaim models only come in auto so its no longer relevant on those models.

The TSB for the ACU is for the vehicles manufactured up to and including November 26, 2014, so without knowing your specific date of production you will not know for sure. With the full VIN number your dealer can tell you exactly what date it was manufactured.

We have sticky threads for both TSB's and Recalls here for reference where you can get all the details:
http://www.kiasoulforums.com/10-soul-problems/21193-tsb-technical-service-bulletin-4.html
http://www.kiasoulforums.com/10-soul-problems/17337-recall-list-sticky-8.html

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
......... Not sure what you mean when you say "do all AT's include the feature" - what feature? ........
Well, my 6-speed automatic transmission also has the ability to drive like a manual transmission. This is the first car I've ever owned with this "feature" so, I'm not sure if all KIA models with the 6-speed automatic transmission have this or not.

While I'm referencing this, just how many drivers actually prefer this over the "normal" automatic D option?

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
Well, my 6-speed automatic transmission also has the ability to drive like a manual transmission. This is the first car I've ever owned with this "feature" so, I'm not sure if all KIA models with the 6-speed automatic transmission have this or not.

While I'm referencing this, just how many drivers actually prefer this over the "normal" automatic D option?
Thanks for removing the +, if I recall correctly on the Soul this "sports mode" became a standard feature with the 2011 version (but it was a 4-speed at that time, 6-spd became the standard in 2012). I think all KIA's that have the 6-speed autos have this feature as standard but not 100% sure on this without doing some research.

I very rarely use the Sports mode, just let it do its thing as it works so well. I have been driving manual transmission cars for 30-35 years so not new in that regard, but I wouldn't go back to manual, so if I feel the urge I can do it, just no clutch. I tend to use the SM in bad winter conditions and use the gearing to slow-down the engine (like on a manual) instead of applying the brakes and is very effective (skills I learned from driving manual) and provides better control under those type of conditions.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got many, many years of driving experience and on just about every kind of surface and conditions you can imagine. With that in mind, I can see where the sports mode would be useful under certain conditions.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,658 Posts
Welcome Lewis T. You'll love your '15. I had a '13 black just like that, except it rode a little harder.

My wife has a PT and loves it. She's had it 12 years. MPG is considerably lower than a Soul's, and Souls don't exactly get outstanding MPG for this day and age.

My car computers in both Souls typically show/ed one to two MPG higher than real math shows.

One minus of the "sport" mode: My wife had a Soul as a rental once, and she once inadvertently put it in sport mode. Then it wouldn't shift out of gear. Not a happy camper, all she needed was a car that started & stopped and went where pointed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also have a '15 AT and use the electronic shifting (not sure of the correct term) pretty much exclusively. I had been driving a M/T for about 25 years and that's the one thing I really miss with my new Soul. And the car does feel a lot peppier to me using the shifter.

It was also great for the ice/snow we had here in Philly after I bought it. Still being able to downshift in bad conditions was very helpful.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome Lewis T. ....

One minus of the "sport" mode: My wife had a Soul as a rental once, and she once inadvertently put it in sport mode. Then it wouldn't shift out of gear. Not a happy camper, all she needed was a car that started & stopped and went where pointed.
I've actually accidentally hit the shifter while stopped and started moving in sport mode. At first I was stunned that it was stuck in gear and then realized what I'd done and started shifting it myself. If I'm not mistaken, you cannot change mode while the vehicle is moving. At least, for me, I wouldn't want to try! Can someone correct me if I'm wrong on this?

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
I've actually accidentally hit the shifter while stopped and started moving in sport mode. At first I was stunned that it was stuck in gear and then realized what I'd done and started shifting it myself. If I'm not mistaken, you cannot change mode while the vehicle is moving. At least, for me, I wouldn't want to try! Can someone correct me if I'm wrong on this?
you can shift it into Sports Mode at any time you want too. (its tells you this on page 5/19 in your owners manual "Whether the vehicle is stationary or in motion, sports mode is selected by pushing the shift lever from the D (Drive) position into the manual gate").

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you can shift it into Sports Mode at any time you want too. (its tells you this on page 5/19 in your owners manual "Whether the vehicle is stationary or in motion, sports mode is selected by pushing the shift lever from the D (Drive) position into the manual gate").
Thanks! Does it automatically adjust itself to the speed you're going at the time then?

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
Thanks! Does it automatically adjust itself to the speed you're going at the time then?
When you move it over into Sports Mode at any speed it will be in the gear that is currently being used on the auto part and then from there you can start shifting it manually (+ to go up a gear, - to drop a gear) - try it. It does have certain restrictions and won't let you do anything silly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When you move it over into Sports Mode at any speed it will be in the gear that is currently being used on the auto part and then from there you can start shifting it manually (+ to go up a gear, - to drop a gear) - try it. It does have certain restrictions and won't let you do anything silly.
It can be kind of interesting to switch it on the fly. I was trying to stay in D to test it out, felt like I was getting no power so switched modes. The car was in 5th gear already at about 25 mph! No wonder it was only sputtering along. I know ECO makes it shift early, but that's a bit ridiculous. I've been mostly sticking with sport mode ever since.

While in sport mode it will also sometimes downshift on its own when you brake or slow down for a turn. It also automatically (most of the time) will reset to 1st gear anytime you come to a complete stop. That threw me off for a bit, as I was used to taking some turns/quick stops in 2nd gear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts