Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

2015 kia soul base 1.6 cel code P050A

8K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  bwdz75 
#1 ·
my kia with 55K started idling on cold startup at higher rpm a couple days ago ...has always idled @ 5 to 6 hundred rpm... then started idling @ 1k to 1200 rpm a couple of days ago and yesterday the cel came on , so i went to auto zone. after the engine comes to temp. idle returns to normal (500 to 600) rpm... has thrown a code of P050A.

any thoughts on my kia's issue?
and the repair...
thanks in advance

#2 ·
my kia with 55K started idling on cold startup at higher rpm a couple days ago ...has always idled @ 5 to 6 hundred rpm... then started idling @ 1k to 1200 rpm a couple of days ago and yesterday the cel came on , so i went to auto zone. after the engine comes to temp. idle returns to normal (500 to 600) rpm... has thrown a code of P050A.

any thoughts on my kia's issue?
and the repair...
thanks in advance
Hi Turbo King and welcome to the forum!

When I type in your CEL code to the handy-dandy-advanced SEARCH function, located by clicking the 3 vertical dots to the upper right corner of the screen (next to your avatar), I get these results. Some good reading for you:

Search results for query: P050a

#3 ·
The P050a is a nagging code that happens on cold starts. It just means your RPM at startup is higher than expected. There is a software update for Gen1 Souls to fix that. For Gen2 owners the only thing you can do is clean your throttle body, reset the adaptive values and it may still occasionally set the code.

#8 ·
The P050a is a nagging code that happens on cold starts. It just means your RPM at startup is higher than expected. There is a software update for Gen1 Souls to fix that. For Gen2 owners the only thing you can do is clean your throttle body, reset the adaptive values and it may still occasionally set the code.
How to reset the adaptive value? Is it in ECU software or dealership can reset? Does the knock sensor ECU software "Campaign" have a fix on the P050A?

#4 ·
start up this morning and rev's went to around 3000 rpm's then settled down to 1k after a couple seconds.....mid 60's outside temp out today,. drove a couple of miles and the cel went out on it's own.
i am going to clean the throttle body within a week or so.
thanks for the help.. i will keep you all posted

#6 ·
Thank you Google, very cool!

Here’s the rest of that description 🙃

It seems to be talking about the idle air control valve, something the second generation Soul (and some 1st gen) does not have because our throttle is electronically controlled.

So I guess it’s just a little software glitch that can only be fixed with an update and according to Bwdz, there isn’t one for the gen 2 Souls yet.

For more information, follow the link by GeoSoul in the second post and look for posts from Bwdz, he gives very good explanation of the issue. (He’s a Kia tech at a dealer so he knows what he’s talking about)

😀

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.