Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two things I'm noticing and wondering if other's souls behave the same way...

1. Wind noise is very prevalent around the A-pillar (drivers-side), especially at highway speed. I know it's like flying a brick = not exactly aerodynamic.
2. Opening the doors from the interior - there's no outward "pop" common to most every other vehicle I've driven. The Soul's doors simply unhook while waiting for you to push. Interesting, yet strange, yet...interesting...???

I suspect these are consistent with others, but do tell...

Thanks!
Greg

·
Registered
479 Posts
wind noise is very noticeable on my 2011 too but that's just something you get on an economy vehicle. I've thought about adding some sound deadener to the doors to try to help with it. I haven't noticed anything about the door pop though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
my 2014 is pretty quiet but the noise around the door for me only happens when the wind direction is just right, but i can negate it by opening another window.

·
Registered
227 Posts
2. Opening the doors from the interior - there's no outward "pop" common to most every other vehicle I've driven. The Soul's doors simply unhook while waiting for you to push. Interesting, yet strange, yet...interesting...???
Hah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. I thought the door was broken or something initially because it didn't really make any noise when opening out from the inside. It's a good thing, I guess, but yeah, it is unsettling!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
there is a vent flap in the lower part at the back (at least on previous models) that helps offset the slight vacuum effect. If you go to the back of the car around the rear wheels (make sure its quiet around you) and get someone to shut the door, you will probably hear the flap movement.
I am presuming its for that as I only hear it when you slam the door (not hard).

·
Registered
799 Posts
I havent noticed this yet. Maybe it's only during certain temps or humidity? I took mine to almost 90 on the interstate (I was not leaving anyone I assure you) and all I thought was how quiet the car was. Or maybe the 08 Prius was just so noisy that I cant judge that anymore.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like you went supersonic after breaking the sound barrier. I test drove a Honda Fit and immediately noticed excessive wind noise (holy crap it was noisy) = immediate no sale regardless of anything else it had to offer based on that experience.

I keep thinking my driver's-side window is open; it's not. And when my wife comments on such "problems" independent of me asking if she's noticed, I know then it's not something I'm imagining.

Greg

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Sounds like you went supersonic after breaking the sound barrier. I test drove a Honda Fit and immediately noticed excessive wind noise (holy crap it was noisy) = immediate no sale regardless of anything else it had to offer based on that experience.

I keep thinking my driver's-side window is open; it's not. And when my wife comments on such "problems" independent of me asking if she's noticed, I know then it's not something I'm imagining.

Greg
I was shocked at how loud the Fit was & also how under powered it was. I see tons of them so figured they had to be good and CR rated it pretty good-well above the Hyundai Accent which was much more pleasant to drive but the interior was cheap as was the Fits. Was looking for a short vehicle so pretty much tried anything trying to keep an open mind. Fit I was most disappointed in.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Noted the A pillar noise a bit when I first bought my 013 +.I installed carbon fiber covers
for the A pillars.The noise went away completely.Have no idea why.Possibly the surface
of the CF finished in a gloss clear coat made the difference?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hadn't considered the side-view mirrors, especially since the noise seems to emanate from the upper window area, but worth a try...
Greg

·
Registered
583 Posts
I thought the 2014 was supposed to be such an improvement on noise. lol

And it seems the infamous "door think" of the 2014 came with a price. My 2013's doors "pop" open just fine. I'm guessing the extra door weight in the 2014 impedes the opening action.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
I thought the 2014 was supposed to be such an improvement on noise. lol

And it seems the infamous "door think" of the 2014 came with a price. My 2013's doors "pop" open just fine. I'm guessing the extra door weight in the 2014 impedes the opening action.
The doors aren't impeded when opening, they just don't make any noise. It is a little eerie when one is used to hearing a pop when opening. These open silently but their movement is fine.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Yeah, when I was first checking it out at the dealer, I re-opened the door and closed it again because I didn't think it closed. Now I am used to it and it is obviously working fine.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bumping the wind noise issue...

While 2014 Soul was at the dealer for the steering recall, asked them to check/repair the driver's-side wind noise. Received the classic "no problem found". Bottom line is the passenger-side does not exhibit this, only the driver's-side does. I've since taped off areas including the mirror, the windshield, the side window, all to no avail. Anyone have any success with this relative to their Soul or similar vehicle. It's not as bad as Honda Fit's wind noise, but it's enough to try to isolate.

My next plan is try applying self-stick foam to the front/rear door seal junctions. I only have a couple other areas to rule out, but it sounds like cross-winds coming in through an open window.

Thanks for any help!
Greg

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have noted some wind noise in my 2013+ At the driver's side.
Maybe just my opinion based on other cars I've driven,the noise is not bad.
It seems more aerodynamic in nature rather than air coming through a gasket etc.
Lets face it,the Soul is a box with rounded edges.Air coming off the rather large A pillars
or the mirrors could cause this.My noise appears to be speed specific.Have not measured,
think around 50-60mph.
Maybe test some slick polish on the A pillars?
Its not annoying to me.A friend has a Subaru BRZ.Very bad wind noise from
the top of the doors.
Thats bad.
For what we paid for our Souls,we should consider ourselves lucky and
not expect Mercedes quiet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts