Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! just got a 2014 Soul from my grandfather but as of late it will not start consistently. We don't even hear it try to crank over but all of my lights, accessories, and windows work. We are not 100% sure if it is the starter, so I figured I would ask this lovely group of people. Sometimes it will start and stay running, but other times it just won't. The check engine light and the battery light both come on when it will not start, but goes away once it starts. I am worried something very serious is happening as the car does have 178,000 miles on it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,536 Posts
Hey Hawkeye, welcome to the forum!

On the times it does not start, does the starter still turn over, and just not start? Or does the started do nothing?

Cool that it has 178,000 miles. There's alot of folks who worry these cars can't go that distance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Hawkeye, welcome to the forum!

On the times it does not start, does the starter still turn over, and just not start? Or does the started do nothing?
Thanks! On the times it does not start, I do not hear anything. No crank or click or anything that would sound as though it is trying to start.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,536 Posts
It could be the starter is getting ready to fail. The next time it won't start, try this: open the hood and give the starter a few smacks with a hammer and then see if it starts. That's what Triple A would try to get you back on the road too.

The contacts in the starter may be well worn and tapping the starter may jog them enough to contact & start. If that's the case, probably time for a new starter after 178,000 miles.

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be the starter is getting ready to fail. The next time it won't start, try this: open the hood and give the starter a few smacks with a hammer and then see if it starts. That's what Triple A would try to get you back on the road too.

The contacts in the starter may be well worn and tapping the starter may jog them enough to contact & start. If that's the case, probably time for a new starter after 178,000 miles.
Will do! Want to do it now but (as I am new to the whole auto scene) I have one question? Can I access the starter from the top or do I need to go under the car?

·
Registered
✴️BING✴️ Toast's ready, pass the butter!
1,100 Posts
Hello all! just got a 2014 Soul from my grandfather but as of late it will not start consistently. We don't even hear it try to crank over but all of my lights, accessories, and windows work. We are not 100% sure if it is the starter, so I figured I would ask this lovely group of people. Sometimes it will start and stay running, but other times it just won't. The check engine light and the battery light both come on when it will not start, but goes away once it starts. I am worried something very serious is happening as the car does have 178,000 miles on it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Is this similar to what you're experiencing?

Obviously this is only a workaround and not a fix, but at least it'll help us figure out real culprit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this similar to what you're experiencing?

Obviously this is only a workaround and not a fix, but at least it'll help us figure out real culprit.
Hello all! Sorry for not posting for a while. The video that was linked ended up not working. Obviously an engine gets hot but it feels very hot. I have noticed a pattern where when the engine is hot, it will not start. My temp gauge isn't saying I am overheating, however. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
✴️BING✴️ Toast's ready, pass the butter!
1,100 Posts
Hello all! Sorry for not posting for a while. The video that was linked ended up not working. Obviously an engine gets hot but it feels very hot. I have noticed a pattern where when the engine is hot, it will not start. My temp gauge isn't saying I am overheating, however. Any suggestions?
We could go back-and-forth here asking questions and waiting for responses, but without knowing the whole mechanical history of your car that has over 178k miles on it we would just be guessing at best. My suggestion is to get it to a mechanic before you keep driving it especially if you feel the engine getting "very hot". They'll be able to hook it up to a scanner and see if it's throwing any problem codes. This may simply be a problem that's more complex than can be solved through a message board.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
900 Posts
Actual temperature reading of the engine, with a heat gun would be helpful. I am suspicious of the catalytic converter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts