Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find the speaker sizes for the 2014 Kia Soul. I got the base model & it definitely needs an upgrade. I'm looking for the specs on the following:

1. Tweeters
2. Front & rear doors
3. Rear subwoofer

I believe my base model only comes with the four door speakers, so I'll probably have to run lines to the tweeters & subwoofer. The subwoofer cutout has a small circular tray in place, so I may or may not need an official Kia coverplate to fit in that space. I'm having trouble finding the dimensions on KGIS & anywhere else, does anyone know what the dimensions are or where to find them? They're not listed on Crutchfield yet, either.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
have you asked the parts department at the dealership?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have you asked the parts department at the dealership?
I'm actually headed in next week for a transmission checkup, so I'll see what I can find out about both the speakers & the steering wheel swap (to add cruise control).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to the advertisements, you should have six speakers including two tweeters in the towers. This is curious.
That may be the case, I don't know. I had done a search on the forums and someone mentioned that the previous year's models did not come with tweeters in the base model, so you need to run wire & add tweeters if you were upgrading and wanted component speakers. I think it would make sense that the base model comes with tweeters since the circular reflector domes are a design feature in the 2014 redesign, but the speakers aren't fantastic so I'd want to upgrade anyway - just need to know what sizes to order!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
one of the changes for 2014 was six speakers standard (4 for the doors and two dash tweeters), this was not the case on prior years.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
...someone mentioned that the previous year's models did not come with tweeters in the base model, so you need to run wire & add tweeters if you were upgrading and wanted component speakers.,,
Yes, I believe that in 2013 models they did that. My 2012 base has six speakers in it (it is an auto). Not sure why they did that on the 2013s. I wish I could help you out but I have no idea as to the size. Good luck, and if you get replacement speakers, I for one, would appreciate knowing how they do and what they are.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I believe that in 2013 models they did that. My 2012 base has six speakers in it (it is an auto). Not sure why they did that on the 2013s. I wish I could help you out but I have no idea as to the size. Good luck, and if you get replacement speakers, I for one, would appreciate knowing how they do and what they are.
Yup, I'll definitely post back! I'm having a Viper system put in this month and my local shop does car stereo stuff as well, so I'd like to get all of the electronics done at the same time. I've done it myself on previous cars, but I really don't want to pull it apart in the middle of winter (I don't have a garage) haha. I'm not sure if I'm going to go with a stock subwoofer replacement or build one. I've been meaning to build an Autotuba for awhile now:

AutoTuba and TruckTuba

I'm also not sure if I want to do components or not. I actually prefer standard coaxials for sound; most component systems I've heard (even higher-end ones) are too harsh for me. My hearing tops out at about 22kHz, so things can sound pretty sharp (in a not-good way). I'm curious if Kia's little deflection system would help with that at all. Back to the sub though, if I do go with an external box, I would like to make it removable in case I need to use the trunk, so that's one thing in favor of using the built-in subwoofer cutout.

I'm also thinking about putting in bass shakers in the front seats (since I own the car this go-around instead of leasing), but I'm also looking into aftermarket heated seats (Wet Okele waterproof seat covers), so I need to figure out how to wire everything together. The Wet Okele covers have cutouts or something for the heating element inserts, but they use the 12V cigarette jack and I'd rather have some kind of integrated switch. Rostra has some nice options:

Car, Truck and SUV Automotive Carbon Fiber Seat Heaters by Rostra

·
Registered
22 Posts
Chiming in for a few reasons... one because I wanna know what's up with the stock stuff, two, because I'm considering making a mold to build custom boxes that replace the storage tray under the rear deck thing. It likely wouldn't support, air volume wise, much more than a single 12", a pair of 10"s, or a small fleet of 8" subs, but it would be totally discreet.

How many people might be interested in something like that, and what would be a reasonable price point?

Aditionally, if anyone knows where to get the full specs for the stock system, head unit and speaker info separately, including frequency response graphs and such, that would be really cool.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AZDesertRat found some good info on this thread:

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/27-ice...nfinity-stereo-system-wattage.html#post389113

Here's a link to the Infinity page for the 2014 Kia Soul:

Kia - Soul - Infinity

Infinity Premium Audio System with 10-Speakers Includes:

[1] 7-channel, 350-Watt* DSP amplifier
[1] 100mm midrange, located in the center IP
[2] 19mm tweeters, located in the left and right IP
[2] 160mm mid/woofers, located in the front doors
[2 + 2] 160mm woofers and 19mm tweeters, mounted coaxially in the rear doors
[1] 190mm DVC subwoofer, located in the rear quarter panel
In American: (direct conversion to inches)

350w 7-channel DSP Amp
3.93701" mid-range (front center)
0.748031" tweeters (front left & right)
6.29921" mid-woofers (front left & right doors)
6.29921" woofers & 0.748031" tweeters (coaxially left & right rear doors)
7.48031" Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer

Not quite sure what that translates to in real products, but let's try:

350w 7-channel amp
4" front-center mid-range
.75" tweeters (front)
6.5" mid-woofers (front)
Coaxial 6.5" woofers + .75" tweeters (rear doors)
7.5" subwoofer

If you hover over the speakers on the car image, the associated speaker will appear on the right side. I'm not sure if these come with special Kia brackets or what. But just for kicks, let's check out Crutchfield. 3/4" Infinity tweeter pair for $110:

Infinity Reference X REF-075tx 3/4" textile dome tweeters at Crutchfield.com

6.5" Infinity Reference pair for $120:

Infinity Reference X REF-6502ix 6-3/4" 2-way car speakers — also fit 6-1/2" openings at Crutchfield.com

I think on previous Soul models, it was a smaller 5-point-something-inch speaker that required a baffle adapter or something (non-standard). I'd imagine the subwoofer is more of an 8" subwoofer. Kind of hard to tell from those specs, but it's a start!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chiming in for a few reasons... one because I wanna know what's up with the stock stuff, two, because I'm considering making a mold to build custom boxes that replace the storage tray under the rear deck thing. It likely wouldn't support, air volume wise, much more than a single 12", a pair of 10"s, or a small fleet of 8" subs, but it would be totally discreet.

How many people might be interested in something like that, and what would be a reasonable price point?

Aditionally, if anyone knows where to get the full specs for the stock system, head unit and speaker info separately, including frequency response graphs and such, that would be really cool.
Have you seen the JL Audio StealthMod system?

JL Audio StealthMod® Audio Upgrade For 2010-up Kia Soul at Crutchfield.com

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'm actually headed in next week for a transmission checkup, so I'll see what I can find out about both the speakers & the steering wheel swap (to add cruise control).
This puzzles me - why not just but the next trim level to get these features?

Not an attack on you, just wondering the rationale for this. It seems a number of members buy one trim then add features to it they could have gotten with the next trim level. My thought is that adding them afterwards never looks stock & costs more in time and money than simply buying the one with the features you want in the first place. Just enjoy the tinkering?
Thanks, John

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This puzzles me - why not just but the next trim level to get these features?

Not an attack on you, just wondering the rationale for this. It seems a number of members buy one trim then add features to it they could have gotten with the next trim level. My thought is that adding them afterwards never looks stock & costs more in time and money than simply buying the one with the features you want in the first place. Just enjoy the tinkering?
Thanks, John
In America, the manual transmission is ONLY offered in Base trim - you literally cannot get ANY options on the U.S. stick-shift Soul for 2014, haha. I really wanted stick, so I'm stuck with not even having keyless entry :p

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
In America, the manual transmission is ONLY offered in Base trim - you literally cannot get ANY options on the U.S. stick-shift Soul for 2014, haha. I really wanted stick, so I'm stuck with not even having keyless entry :p
Besides it is more fun this way, isn't it? Just ask Busby. :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Crutchfield is the best resource for finding out what fits your car and what doesn't.

That's where I would start

Nick C.
The 2014 Soul is currently not listed on their website. I've already requested that they add it (using their web form), but who knows how long that will take!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Besides it is more fun this way, isn't it? Just ask Busby. :)
You know, it kind of is - I really wanted a remote start system that would work from my cell phone (I work in a building made of concrete & metal, so a normal remote starter wouldn't work without walking up to the front & aiming out the window). Lazy I know, but it's been like 0F around here lately, so I want my pre-heated car! Haha.

·
Registered
68 Posts
For something removable and also sounds great, try Bazooka Sub-woofer tubes! You can easily remove them and put them on the rear seat floor. This is what I did in my WRX

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hmm. I've got an 8" bass amp driver I'm replacing in my bass combo amp. 8 ohm. Just wondering if its compatible and what it might take to plug the old driver into the sub location.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts