Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need everyone who owns a 2014 Soul to help me: does your head unit remember your USB track settings when you turn off your car? My dealer claims that "remembering" me is not a feature offered in the head unit of the 2014 Soul, when using a USB flash drive. However, my 2010 Kia Koup always remembered which track I was on, whether it was number 20, or 200, or 2000, and also if I was on "shuffle" or "repeat" or just regular play. Also my 2004 Saturn Ion did too - 10 years ago!

If your 2014 Soul remembers your settings, please post a reply! I am using this to get them to fix the problem instead of ignoring it. I need as many people saying they have this feature as possible. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mine does. So long as I don't remove the drive anyways. Once I remove it, it doesn't remember it. But otherwise it remembers the shuffle and random and what track I was on just fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought my 2014 Soul yesterday with the audio package (i.e. Infinity + nav head unit) and also found that it does not remember. Another quirk is that albums purchased on iTunes play in regular album order but CD's I imported to iTunes play alphabetically. To load the USB I converted MP3 in iTunes and manually copied the MP3 files and directory structure to the USB. I am interested in hearing the experience of those who have had their cars longer.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I bought my 2014 Soul yesterday with the audio package (i.e. Infinity + nav head unit) and also found that it does not remember. Another quirk is that albums purchased on iTunes play in regular album order but CD's I imported to iTunes play alphabetically. To load the USB I converted MP3 in iTunes and manually copied the MP3 files and directory structure to the USB. I am interested in hearing the experience of those who have had their cars longer.
If you take the USB out it will not remember the last played track. Never bought iTunes so can't help you there. You can copy the tracks onto the Soul 'My Music' and it will remember the last one played.

Saving mp3 My music kia soul col.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you take the USB out it will not remember the last played track. Never bought iTunes so can't help you there. You can copy the tracks onto the Soul 'My Music' and it will remember the last one played.
I will experiment some once I have time. I have been leaving the USB in but will try a couple of different ones to see if I get the same result.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine doesn't seem to remember the DAB station that was last playing ...... just goes back to the generic DAB screen. Bit of a PITA, but no biggie ......

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Ok, the only 2014s that are going have the same radio as you are going to be a Plus with the Audio package and the Exclaim with the Sun and Sound package (with or without the Whole Shabang). I have a basic Exclaim, the Plus models without the Audio package, and the Base models are not going to have the same radio as you have. Sorry, I can offer no help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, the only 2014s that are going have the same radio as you are going to be a Plus with the Audio package and the Exclaim with the Sun and Sound package (with or without the Whole Shabang). I have a basic Exclaim, the Plus models without the Audio package, and the Base models are not going to have the same radio as you have. Sorry, I can offer no help.
I am willing to trade in my Soul for another 2014 Soul ... so even if your radio is different, please let me know if it works so I can trade my piece of junk in for an actual working one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nope. Every time I turn the car back on, it reverts to the first band/album/track. I love the car, but this aspect is garbage.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
I am willing to trade in my Soul for another 2014 Soul ... so even if your radio is different, please let me know if it works so I can trade my piece of junk in for an actual working one.
Well, if you take out the Sun & Sound package, you would have an Exclaim like mine with the six speakers and the non infinity radio. The UVO that comes with that package is the MS UVO, not the Android one that you have now (that is crippled and everyone is waiting for the update). That is the same radio that Kitty talks about in post #2. But whatever you do, take an USB with you to test out first. You would lose the Nav also as well as the sun roof, infinity radio, and speaker lights. When I bought mine, I stayed away from all that stuff for this very reason plus I did not want to spend any money on those things (I have had them all before and don't use any of them, to me, a waste of money).

·
Registered
20 Posts
The issue does seem related to the type of USB device. I tried two 16GB devices with about 4GB of MP3 files loaded (same files), one labeled Sandisk Cruzer and the other labeled Sandisk Ultra. No USB version is specified on the devices, just a couple of codes in very fine print that my old eyes have trouble with.

Cruzer - starts within a few seconds but does not remember the track after turning off the car
Ultra - takes about 20 seconds to start up but does remember the track after turning off the car

·
Registered
213 Posts
My USB is a little PNY I picked up at Staples or Office Max that fits on a womans charm bracelet, without the bracelet its so small it almost takes tweezers to remove it from the slot.
I checked again this weekend and every time I started the car it started where it left off, right in the middle of a song. I like the size since you can't even see it.

PNY 8GB Flash Drive Charm Bracelet | Staples®

·
Registered
388 Posts
The issue does seem related to the type of USB device. I tried two 16GB devices with about 4GB of MP3 files loaded (same files), one labeled Sandisk Cruzer and the other labeled Sandisk Ultra. No USB version is specified on the devices, just a couple of codes in very fine print that my old eyes have trouble with.

Cruzer - starts within a few seconds but does not remember the track after turning off the car
Ultra - takes about 20 seconds to start up but does remember the track after turning off the car
All of the USB 3.0 I've seen have had blue plastic in the USB slot

·
Registered
2 Posts
A bit late to the thread, but I have a 2014 Base and it resumes to where I left on when using USB. Even if I change source then back to USB it resumes.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,587 Posts
A bit late to the thread, but I have a 2014 Base and it resumes to where I left on when using USB. Even if I change source then back to USB it resumes.
Just like drumer, mine remembers to where I left off, even to the point in progress of the song. I have some 2hr length mp3 tracks that contain many songs and its nice not going back to the start each time.

I'm curious if you folks having the problems can copy music to the internal drive and if it will remember the specific point in the song. In the base, that's the case.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
for me, using the USB drive or the Jukebox it always starts at where I left off each time, even if its part way through the track.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2014 Base Manual. I use a cheap little 8GB HP branded USB 2.0 drive that I bought from where I work for like $5. Formatted it FAT32 and 2048 sector allocation (or whatever the manual says).

Mine remembers. If I turn the vehicle off during a song, that song will continue playing once I start it back up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts