Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having this problem recently where the Soul refuses to start and I have to remove the key and try again about 3-4x before it starts. It doesn't happen all the time. I got the battery replaced about 15 months ago, so I know its not the battery. I suspect its the starter. This car may be a lemon; I bought it dealer used with 3k miles on it and at 12k miles the brakes were shot and needed to be replaced. I only have 27k miles on it now and the starter seems to be defective.

Since I'm not the original owner, will Kia's basic 5 year 60k miles warranty cover a new starter?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,440 Posts
Well the car color might suggest it's a lemon (sorry I couldn't resist).

I would check with your local dealer specifically on the starter. You should still be under the 5yr warranty even as a secondary owner. I believe you don't get the extended 10 yr powertrain wrty.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
665 Posts
Yes, it should still be under factory warranty.

To me, the bit about having to remove and replace the key (as opposed to just turning the key again) makes it sound like something other than the starter. Like maybe a problem with the ignition switch, or something with the logic that won't let you start it if it's not in Park.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took it to the dealer. Said it was the starter, and it is under warranty. Thankful that it is under warranty, but wondering how it went out after only 27k miles. Starters are supposed to last at least 75k-100k+ miles.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,440 Posts
Took it to the dealer. Said it was the starter, and it is under warranty. Thankful that it is under warranty, but wondering how it went out after only 27k miles. Starters are supposed to last at least 75k-100k+ miles.
You never know how the previous owner treated the Soul. They may have prematurely worn out the starter and the brakes.

I've known people who grind on both those parts.......cringe worthy.

Glad you got things taken care of!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been having this problem recently where the Soul refuses to start and I have to remove the key and try again about 3-4x before it starts. It doesn't happen all the time. I got the battery replaced about 15 months ago, so I know its not the battery. I suspect its the starter. This car may be a lemon; I bought it dealer used with 3k miles on it and at 12k miles the brakes were shot and needed to be replaced. I only have 27k miles on it now and the starter seems to be defective.

Since I'm not the original owner, will Kia's basic 5 year 60k miles warranty cover a new starter?
Do you have a warning light with steering wheel and ! Behind it?
The same thing is happening to me..1 click when I turn key in.
The light is for Electronic Steering Control...dealer said bring it to them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts