Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - we became new members of the Kia Soul family earlier this week when we purchased a 2014 Kia Soul +. It was a great deal but unfortunately, it did not come with the one option that we really wanted - a backup camera. (The car will mainly be driven by our teenage daughter who does not have the best track record when it comes to backing up!) It has the basic stock radio with the red LED display.

We were hoping that we could pick up the original OEM components on Ebay and basically make it so that it looks like a factory installed backup camera. I've been lurking on this forum for a few days and googling like mad, but can't seem to get a straight answer about whether this is possible and if so, what exactly would be needed. It seems like to do so, we'd need to swap out the stock radio for the smaller-screened one that supports the backup camera (I'm not interested in the larger Nav screen one). It also seems like you can buy the trim piece for the hatch that has the backup camera integrated into it.

The backup camera trim piece seems like it would be a relatively straightforward swap (though if anyone knows if the wiring is already there or would need to be added, I'd love to know!) I'd prefer to go this route vs. an aftermarket one that clips onto the license plate because I want it to look as seamless and "factory" as possible. That said, I am no expert in this, so if you know of a reason why this won't work or isn't a good idea, please let me know!

My confusion comes in with regards to the radio unit -- from looking on ebay, it seems like there are several different versions of that smaller-screened second level radio and from reading posts here, it seems like some may require a separate amplifier instead of just allowing you to swap out the head unit. Basically, I have found part number 96160-B2020 which has a button called "eServices" or part number 96180-B2200 which has a button called "Disp". When I google, it seems like the eServices version is the UVO head unit and may be the one that requires a separate amplifier, but I can't tell for sure. Also, some sites say that the Disp one only works in 2015 and 2016 Souls, but other sites say the 2014-2016 all take the same exact radio.

Does anyone know what the difference is between those two head units? I don't need UVO or nav or anything except the ability to show the backup camera image on the screen, and obviously I want to preserve all the existing functionality (bluetooth, voice recognition, steering controls, etc.) And I don't want to deal with adding an extra amp or anything complicated - I am hoping it is a simple matter of swapping one head unit for the other and hooking up the wires appropriately. Will either of those part numbers work? And also, if we go this route, would we have any issues with needing a theft code or reprogramming for our VIN?

We are unfortunately not the handiest people so we'd be asking our mechanic to do this -- he is game for it, but not a Kia expert, and I don't want to spend the money on the parts then find out we are all in over our heads. We have even called a few Kia dealers but they either don't seem to know or aren't willing to share. Thanks for any advice you can offer!!!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,595 Posts
Hi and welcome platlow! As far as your last few comments about the dealer help, I notice the same thing. Kia dealers seem completely unwilling or "dumb" when it comes to changing out radio levels in new Souls.

It seems like it would be better customer service to give folks at least a couple of options. You should be able to buy a Base & upgrade the sound system without having to buy a different, more expensive model.

But hey, for us lowly stick shift drivers, we don't even get factory cruise control. It's easily self installed for $72. The p*sser is that almost every one of us who asked the dealer about it got the standard line "that can't be done" or "I don't know 'nuthin about that." Wow, really? You're a Kia dealer & don't know this stuff.

Best of luck with your project! Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
When you are trying to do things like this, someone has to be the guinea pig. In this case, it sounds like it is going to be you. On virtually every project, someone has to make the leap of faith that it can be done, and then report back on the steps/pitfalls involved. For example, I know that you can add cruise control on virtually any of these cars that don't have it by simply swapping out the steering wheel. Why? Because a member here, some years ago, decided to give it a shot.

I haven't heard of anyone doing the swap you want to do so I think you're going to be it. On the other hand, you might just consider restricting your daughter's driving until she learns how to back up a car without a reverse screen. It's not supposed to be a substitute for backing up, and while there's no doubt it can help, a lot of the people I know that have them think "Oh, I just look at the TV screen and start driving backwards". WRONG. It is not a substitute for turning your head and seeing what is behind you in real time. Maybe take her to a big mall or Walmart lot with a bunch of cones, set them up and have her start learning to avoid the cones. If you can avoid a cone, you can avoid just about anything else.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Here's a kit for the rear hatch. You'd need to run a wire (maybe under the rear carpet up through the center console) to the new head unit. I think there is another switch that will activate the camera when you put it in reverse.

Camera & fascia:
https://www.quirkparts.com/oem-parts/kia-rear-camera-95760b2000/?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJpY2FsJnM9cGFya2luZy1haWQmaT0yNDU3NTk1NSZyPWxheWVyXzkmYT1raWEmbz1zb3VsJnk9MjAxNCZ0PWJhc2UmZT0xLTZsLWw0LWdhcw%3D%3D

Backup switch:
https://www.quirkparts.com/oem-parts/kia-back-up-switch-9386049600/?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJpY2FsJnM9c3dpdGNoZXMmYT1raWEmbz1zb3VsJnk9MjAxNCZ0PWJhc2UmZT0xLTZsLWw0LWdhcw%3D%3D

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
666 Posts
I'm not sure whether the harness will have the cam connector and wire, but here's the layout for the 2015 UVO (the one without external amp) head connection, and camera. The table shows what signal is on what connector pin (if you have to patch in). The head unit seems to handle the video switching. I'd expect 2014 to be similar or identical.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
curious as to why go out of your way and drop so much money to maintain a factory look when you can buy a cheap navi with a dashcam and wireless back up cam function. If your daughter has problems backing up, the tiny 4 inch screen won't help her much anyway.

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
666 Posts
curious as to why go out of your way and drop so much money to maintain a factory look when you can buy a cheap navi with a dashcam and wireless back up cam function.

Well, yeah. You can get an aftermarket cam and display screen for $25 from Aliexpress or eBay. Another $25 to make it wireless so you don't have to run a wire back to front. This is on my own project list (not the wireless bit, as an IT guy I don't trust wireless, and it's just more stuff to go fail). I'm just hoping to find an electronic compass with video output, so when I'm not backing up I'll be seeing what direction I'm going in. GPS would do for that, but last time I went that route I got a broken window and a missing GPS. Mount the display on the dash center, if you don't have a speaker there. Or on the dash right, the driver should be turning their body around that way to look anyhow.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
How did we ever back up our cars before we were told we needed these for safety?

I get it, they could save you from hitting something (someone). They also may be the reason you actually hit something. I have 2 friends, one with a Soul who was watching her backup camera & backed into a post on the back drivers side, crushing the fender & bumper. The other in a new F150 tore off his passenger side mirrors.

Caution, awareness & common sense is the best back up camera.

Reactions: XxHaimBondxX

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
How did we ever back up our cars before we were told we needed these for safety?

I get it, they could save you from hitting something (someone). They also may be the reason you actually hit something. I have 2 friends, one with a Soul who was watching her backup camera & backed into a post on the back drivers side, crushing the fender & bumper. The other in a new F150 tore off his passenger side mirrors.

Caution, awareness & common sense is the best back up camera.
Oh you know parents these days, they think the latest electronic gadget will save kids, because it's too hard to teach them common sense. I'm guilty of this myself sometimes, that's why my daughter got a cellphone with gps tracking the first time she showed up an hour late after school. There was some minor miscommunication with the bus driver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys - sorry it took me so long to get back here - things have been a bit chaotic.

Dynamo - that wiring diagram is exactly what I was hoping to find - I don't know how to read it, but I am guessing my mechanic does. Where did you get that from? I'd also be interested in seeing the other pages that the camera page refers to (the Body - Tailgate Trim and Body - Tailgate Back Panel pages) - I was trying to figure out how to get the inside of the hatch off to see if there is already a wire run for the backup camera or not (my mechanic thinks the wire may be there regardless of whether the option was installed or not, but I think that would be too good to be true), but I was afraid of breaking something so I stopped.

I personally love my backup camera -- my current car is the first car I've ever had one in and it has saved my behind several times. I find it especially handy for things that are too low to see in your mirror (like an oddly placed 2 foot high post in the middle of the parking lot outside our local township building that I backed into in my last car) or for backing out in a crowded parking lot when you are hemmed in by very tall and long SUVs on either side of you -- my camera gives a wide angle view so I can see if any cars or pedestrians are coming from either direction in the camera even when my mirrors are useless. Oh, and it's awesome for parallel parking (where my skills are definitely lacking -- I'm a suburbs driver!) I know that you have to check the mirrors too obviously. It's just that now that I've had a backup camera, I really don't want to drive without one and even though my daughter is going to be the primary driver of this car, I've found myself choosing it over my minivan for errands around town because it's so much zippier and better on gas and just all-around fun.

As far as why go the factory route, when we bought this car, it was between this one and one that had the factory system....I just really liked how seamless the 2nd level radio was -- upgraded but not too complicated (I very much dislike the all-touch-screen radios in modern cars and certainly don't want one that runs apps and connects to the internet - that's what I have a cell phone for!) and I love that the factory backup camera is integrated into the trim piece on the back and practically invisible (as opposed to looking like a plastic box clipped onto the license plate frame). We opted for this car because it had lower mileage and drove better, but I do miss the factory installed system, so I figured if I could get one for a reasonable price off ebay, why not put it in instead of buying an aftermarket version that would be way more complex than we need and not have that nice integrated camera.

Anyhow, I've been driving it around sans backup camera for a week and haven't backed into anything yet, so I might just leave things as they are for now (I'm really digging my free trial of Sirius, which I have never had before! So I definitely don't want to lose that, which I assume I would if I swapped out the radio). But if dynamo or anyone else happens to have any other wiring diagrams or tailgate pages, I'd love to see them, as this project is something I'd still like to do in the long term.

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone found if the connectors are there for the factory cameras? My friend and I are planning to upgrade her 15 soul base model with the 2.0L to a new radio with apple car play and a backup camera. There are kits out there that will let us retain a factory camera, so we wanted to put in the factory camera so it looks nicer and less wires to run.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
There isn't and installing a factory camera with aftermarket radio is the most expensive way to go about it. Running a camera wire from the back is not too difficult, all panels along the door sills pop out like legos or you could just use wireless set up. I put my back up camera above the license plate on the bumper and you can barely know it's there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts