Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I bought my son a 2014 Kia Soul+. I got it without a motor and I purchased a 2018 Soul parts car from Copart. I have the new motor installed and when I attempt to start it all I get is a single click. I think this might be an ECM issue and I did buy a clone VCI from China but the software it came with only goes to 2013. Is there another OBDII tool that will do what I need or is there another problem altogether? The engine did start and run in the parts car before I striped it and both were 2.0's. I'm more suited to work on old Chevys than this computer controlled generation of cars. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
750 Posts
If you're getting a hard click from the starter check these things first. 1 did you attach the engine ground on the passenger side, runs from the head to the shock tower. 2 pull of the starter cable and clean off the connection, you can do a voltage drop test across that wire if you have the tools and know how but I can't count how many times that has been an issue. Just use some sandpaper and make sure the starter post is clean as well. Turn the motor over by hand a time or two also, make sure that the torque converter didn't bind up as it has the starter ring gear on it and I have seen it happen where the snout of the starter doesn't get inserted right and it will bind up against the torque converter (I assume it was fine turning when you put in the torque converter bolts back on)
If it is a soft click at the starter relay in the under hood fuse box just jump the starter by jumping the positive pin to the one that has the plastic clip on it if you want to hear the motor run and figure out why it's not sending power there later. Let me know what happens and I can walk you through it, just need more info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It ended up being the starter itself. I still have some issues to work out but at least now it starts and moves on its own. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Glad it started. For every starter that I replace on one of these about 10 turn out to be just the cable so I always do a voltage drop test across the cable and then check the amperage draw on the starter so that is why I suggested you test it out first. I work at a dealer and see anywhere from 20 to 50 gen2 Souls in a week so feel free to ask questions on here. Lots of good people on here that are very familiar with their cars and are very helpful, I actually see some issues on here before I ever come across them in person.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for your help. Like I said before, these computer controlled cars are a bit out of my comfort zone. The Soul has a check engine light on and seems to be in limp mode. The scanner I have is no help, so iv ordered a new one that is supposed to do it all (iCarsoft CR PRO). That is suppose to come Tuesday, so ill be back on here if it don't get it done but I have hope. Thanks again.

·
Registered
750 Posts
When you say limp mode do you mean it just won't respond to throttle at all? That would be throttle body or gas pedal codes. Try the throttle body off the old motor if you're using the new one or just double check all the connections there.
Is the light on or flashing? Guess it's best to see what the code is for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The light is just on steady. It revs fine in park, but when you are in drive it takes a hole block to get up to 30 mph. The 2014 didn't have a motor when I bought it, just some parts from it. Like the starter (lucky). It did have the trans in it, but I decided to just use the one from the parts car since it was already together. I currently have the ecu from the 2014 in, but I do have the one from the 2018 car I can try. It is probably best to just wait for the scanner to come and see what it says.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Undo the 2 bolts at the bottom of the header and pull the cat back, run it like that real quick. It will be loud but you'll know if you've got a plugged cat that's what it sounds like and I've seen plenty like that.

·
Registered
750 Posts
You probably cant use the other ECU, it has to be from a car with exact same features like smart key or blade key, idle stop and go etc... it will also have a code for vin mismatch and have constant check engine light on

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried undoing the exhaust and it seemed to work a little but still not what it should have been. Then I swapped ECUs and it came alive. It now starts up right away and goes like it should. There is no engine light at all. The only problem I have now is that the parts car had tire pressure sensors and this one doesn't. The light is on in the dash and it has an annoying beep to warn me that there's no air in my tires. LOL always has to be something.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Kind of odd that you don't have a check engine light, you sure you have the parts ECU in there not original? Usually they throw a code immediately for a VIN mismatch.
Tpms is not part of the ECU, it's a seperate module up in the dash above the glove box. Glad it's working. Nice job.

·
Registered
502 Posts
...... Turn the motor over by hand a time or two also, make sure that the torque converter didn't bind up as it has the starter ring gear on it and I have seen it happen where the snout of the starter doesn't get inserted right and it will bind up against the torque converter (I assume it was fine turning when you put in the torque converter bolts back on)
Great advice as always bwdz75 except I am having difficulty understanding the turn the motor over by hand part.

Could you please explicitly explain how to turn over the motor by hand?

·
Registered
750 Posts
22m wrench on the crank pulley. When you have a no start condition after motor installation or some.other situation you want to make sure everything turns freely and nothing is bound up or causing interference. On the Theta II 2.4s that are under recall for rod bearing issues Kia actually has a spec for a motor that's considered binding up internally and that is 94ft lbs of force to turn it over by hand, anything over is considered a locked up bearing and gets motor replaced.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts