Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I test drove a 2014 Base Model Soul and found the driver's seat too long, resulting in my knees bending awkwardly. I'm 5'2" and this is the first time I've come across this in cars. I did read that that Kia had redesigned the seats for bigger and taller drivers, but is there a suggestion for a smaller & shorter driver? I did adjust the back of the seat to a comfortable upright position, but still had the same results. I would like to try an Exclaim line with leather seats, but can't seem to find any dealerships that carry it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
It is too early in the model year for the Exclaims to show up. But I would say that the seats in the Plus and Exclaim will be the same overall dimensions as those in the base. The ten position seats may help but they are only available in the Plus (part of an option package) and Exclaim. As an alternative you may wish to try a left over 2013 that some lots may still have.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
I'll have to put that on my check list, - "wife to try seat" as she is 5'2", she has no problem with out current Soul, just slides the seat forward so she can reach the pedals and has to adjust the inside the rear-view mirror lower. Just makes a tight fit for me when I first get in the car next ;)

neiljrosen suggestion sounds best and probably you won't need much of a thickness either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The issue is not with reaching the gas pedal because you can move the seat forward. The problem is with the seat that you sit on being too long and not sitting in a comfortable position. The back pillow may work, but it might have to be a full back in order to sit comfortably. It's hard to try it out since there isn't a leather Exclaim to try it with. And I want the Solar Yellow so that rules out the 2013. Decisions, decisions.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
The issue is not with reaching the gas pedal because you can move the seat forward. The problem is with the seat that you sit on being too long and not sitting in a comfortable position. The back pillow may work, but it might have to be a full back in order to sit comfortably. It's hard to try it out since there isn't a leather Exclaim to try it with. And I want the Solar Yellow so that rules out the 2013. Decisions, decisions.
Yes, quite a quandary.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Well you have to decide what's more important, a seat that fits you or the color you like. Not every seat fits every driver, that's part of trying out a car.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Production car seats try to be all things to all men (and women), but obviously that doesn't always work if you're on the extreme edges of the size allowance in the design. I read on here countless people moaning about Soul seats being uncomfortable, but my buttootski thinks our car has some of the most comfortable seats of any car I've driven..........and my last car was a Cadillac..........go figure. I'm lucky with the Soul seat that it's right in the Goldilocks area for me. Not too long, not too short.

The Cad was a little long in the seat squab (base) for my thigh length. I'm a tad under 5 foot 8 inches and much of that is body, not legs, so I get the problem.
I compromised in the Caddy by tilting the seat base down at the front to reduce pressure under the back of the knees. Not ideal, but more comfortable. Too much pressure in this area can lead to numbness and circulation loss which is never a good thing. The feet on the ends of your legs not only stop your ankles fraying, but are supposed to be controlling the car, so they'd better stay awake.

Adding a cushion in the lumbar area to push your bottom forward will likely bring about other issues because it tends to reduce support of the upper back. One of those back support things they make may prove more beneficial. Remember that you can only move the seat itself forward so much. A short driver sitting too close to the steering wheel is in danger from the airbag deployment in an accident.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'm a guy at 5'5" and when I test drove a '14 I recognized what the OP is complaining about. It was not a problem for me but I could see where it might be if you are even shorter. However, I believe I was one of the first here to complain about the headrest....so bad that I ended up taking the entire thing off to finish my extended drive.

·
Registered
582 Posts
This is not the first time I've heard allegations of the 2014 seats being longer, but I initially brushed that off as not being possible. But it sounds like indeed KIA did the incredibly stupid and lengthened the seats. I'm 6'1" and the 2013 Soul seats are great length-wise for me, but I just could not imagine the seat being much longer and still being comfortable. If the seats on the 2014 are indeed longer, as portrayed, then I can see a lot of non-tall people (and Women) not being very happy about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The trick with the headrest that I learned after test-driving an uncomfortable headrest on a Nissan Juke was to take it out and rotate it so the neck is not bring pressed forward. The only thing is won't be able to click to the height you want, but you can probably make it stick with some invisible tape.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The suggestion for the pillow actually works but the dealership said this would keep air bag sensors (which are in the seat cushion bottoms) from working during an air bag deployment. And you can't use seat covers to keep seats clean because of the same reason. Bummer!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
779 Posts
Old post, but I'll throw ya my 2 cents:
Re-read and think about what you just wrote above. It is the weight on/in the seat, not your butt in direct contact with the fabric. Do you believe everything the dealership tells you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also wondered about the weight vs. contact so I went to the service department as well and they said the same thing. Of course the most important thing is having control of the vehicle so I'm using the pillow! But its just a curious thing and wondered if anyone else had been told that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts