Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
401 - 419 of 419 Posts

· Registered
2019 Soul Base, MT. Added CC.
5 Posts
Well, I somehow managed to bugger this "plug and play" CC install. Any assistance veterans of this procedure can provide will be very much appreciated. Ordered the parts and everything went swimmingly with two exceptions:
1) The clock spring popped right out in spite of my best efforts to leave it undisturbed. Nothing broke, but I had a dickens of a time reinstalling it. More on that in a minute.
2) A curious neighbor interrupted me right as I was slipping the steering wheel back onto the spindle. I didn't mind getting out of the car and patiently explaining to him what I was up to (his repeated comments about how ill-advised my DIY job was did get annoying however. "I would have just taken it to the dealer".) Yadda, yadda, yadda.

When my curious neighbor moved on, I finished the job, reconnected the battery and fired it up. This next part is key: the green cruise dash light came on when I activated CC, and the trip computer worked; I could tab through all of the functions. The only thing that remained was to take it for a test spin and confirm the CC functioned properly.

I got maybe 30 seconds down the road when I realized two things: my steering wheel was misaligned by a single spline but more importantly: it was loose! I had been about to install the nut when my neighbor distracted me. When I returned to the project, I completely forgot. Yes I know, that was monumentally stupid of me. But I safely pulled over and with the needed tools still in my car, I disconnected the battery a second time, popped off and disconnected the airbag/horn assembly, realigned the steering wheel and installed the vital steering wheel nut.

Back on the road, I get up to speed and push the cruise control button ... nothing happens. Worse, I see that my airbag light in on. And to top it all off, my trip computer is stuck on trip odometer A. It's registering mileage, but it wouldn't change modes (distance to empty, mpg, etc,) Now I cannot say with 100% certainty that the airbag light was not on when I first reconnected everything, but I think I would have noticed that if it were. The cruise control at least activated at first, and the trip odometer was definitely working in all modes. In case anyone wants to know, the Bluetooth and radio controls still work just fine.

I've now disassembled and reassembled the steering wheel a half a dozen more times, all with the same disappointing result. The only thing I can think of is it somehow has something to do with the clock spring. Those ribbon cables look fine, I didn't disconnect anything except for the plug for the steering wheel harness and in any case if I did somehow damage the clock spring, why do the radio and Bluetooth controls still work? But the fact remains that clock spring was really hard to reinstall and honestly, I'm still not confident I did it correctly.

I've read through all 20 pages of this thread twice now. Soul15 posted about difficulties with the clock spring back when he did this mod back in 2016 (page 16 of this thread). His written description is very detailed, but without pictures it's really hard to follow. And I'm still struggling with why some, but not all of my steering wheel functions are working if I've damaged the clock spring.

Anyone as boneheaded as I have similar troubles with this mod? I obviously am still keen on having cruise control but at this point I'd settle for a fully functioning trip computer and especially a working driver's side airbag. Thanks very much in advance
my Husband had the same problem with the clock spring. Could you describe or link a video or detail I’m how to put back?

· Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
9,065 Posts
Mrrod, did you press the SET button after you turned CC on and saw the green light?

IM hoping everything worked out OK for you.

· Registered
5 Posts
We need someone with a Gen3 Stick Shift Soul to jump in and DIY Cruise Control.

Anybody out there thinking about doing this???

It was a big hit for Gen2 Stick Shift drivers......as this humongous thread attests to :)
Hey there,
We are in the middle of this process. I have a 2019 bace manual. We installed the cc but my husband broke he clock spring, we just got it today and installed the new clock spring. We tested the car today, cc works perfect, but now we have he airbag light on, so we are in the middle of trying to find how to clear it or fix the issue. Hopefully we will find an answer in this forum. Parts ordered were 56190 B2400 and 96700 B2100ASB for the cc and 93490 B2120 for the clock spring. Take care!

· Registered
9,065 Posts
Hey there,
We are in the middle of this process. I have a 2019 bace manual. We installed the cc but my husband broke he clock spring, we just got it today and installed the new clock spring. We tested the car today, cc works perfect, but now we have he airbag light on, so we are in the middle of trying to find how to clear it or fix the issue. Hopefully we will find an answer in this forum. Parts ordered were 56190 B2400 and 96700 B2100ASB for the cc and 93490 B2120 for the clock spring. Take care!
Yeah, I had the airbag light on after I completed mine too (back in 2014 no less). The good news is you should be able to get that to go off, but you'll have to disconnect the battery (let it sit a half hour or so) and then pop out the airbag again. More than likely one of the contacts wasn't seated properly, even though it may look like it was. Carefully and slowly take off the clips and the white wire connector. Then replace them, slip them back and forth a little to make sure of a good contact and push them in firmly to place. See if that works for you. Mine was the white wire connector. I slipped it back on but just not ALL THE WAY DOWN. It looked ok, but it wasn't.

Best of luck! Keep us posted on your progress.

Reactions: Buzz

· Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, I had the airbag light on after I completed mine too (back in 2014 no less). The good news is you should be able to get that to go off, but you'll have to disconnect the battery (let it sit a half hour or so) and then pop out the airbag again. More than likely one of the contacts wasn't seated properly, even though it may look like it was. Carefully and slowly take off the clips and the white wire connector. Then replace them, slip them back and forth a little to make sure of a good contact and push them in firmly to place. See if that works for you. Mine was the white wire connector. I slipped it back on but just not ALL THE WAY DOWN. It looked ok, but it wasn't.

Best of luck! Keep us posted on your progress.
Yes as soon as I was done posting here, i kept searching the forum. Sure enough is same issue most people have, wire was loose. Al back to normal and working perfect! Thank you. Excited to be able to use the cc with manual, especially on long distance driving!

· Registered
9,065 Posts
All worked out great for me, use the CC everyday. Thanks for the help everyone. Now if I can find out if the wiring is the same for the Gen3 remote door lock install I’ll be great!
Did you get a Gen 3?

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys,

This is the process I went through to add cruise control to my 2014 base Soul with manual transmission. This has been a long journey but its finally paying off. One lesson learned was to never let the dealer discourage you. So below are the simple steps to follow to add cruise control in.

Step 1: Order the parts. All you need here is the physical cruise control switch and a new harness inside the steering wheel so that the cruise control switch can be plugged into the clock spring. Don't let the dealer tell you that you need anything else. The following part numbers are what I ordered. I'm not sure if these change for different colors, but if your current wheel looks like mine in the photos, these are the ones you need. It should be a little over $100. If they are charging much more than that, they may be ripping you off.

Part Numbers:
Steering wheel harness: 56190-B2400
Cruise Control Switch (Black): 96700-B2100ASB

Step 2:Remove the wheel. Unfortunately, to do this right the wheel needs to come off. First thing to come out is the airbag. There are 3 holes around the side of the wheel that allow access to the airbag release pins. You need a small screw drive to push on the release pins all the way around. After all the pins are released, the airbag slides out (no screws or bolts). Then you can disconnect the wiring going to the airbag. PLEASE DO THIS WITH THE BATTERY DISCONNECTED! With the airbag out of the way, unscrew the nut in the center of the wheel. Use a Sharpie to mark the wheel and steering shaft so that you can easily line the wheel back up when reinstalling (you don't want to have the wheel ****ed when you are driving straight). I was able to remove my wheel without a puller. If you are not using a puller, be very careful not to damage the threads on the shaft.

Step 3: Build the wheel. At this point, you will need to completely disassemble the back of the wheel. After removing the 6 or so screws, the black plastic cover should pop off. Remove the existing harness and install the new one plugging in the connections to all steering wheel switches. I highly recommend that you test it, at this point. All of the switches use the exact same plug. So if you mix them up your audio buttons will be setting the cruise control and Bluetooth could be changing channels. We don't want that. Install the new switch and reassemble to steering wheel.

Step 4: Reinstall the steering wheel. Be sure to line this up with the Sharpie markings you made in step 1. Tighten on the nut to the steering shaft. Make sure all plugs are fully seated into the clock spring. Reinstall the airbag. MAKE SURE THE BATTERY IS STILL DISCONNECTED. We don't want that thing going off on you. Once the airbag is plugged in and snapped into place, you are ready to enjoy your new cruise control.

I hope this helps everyone out there who really wanted this feature. I'm personally very happy. My local dealer wanted $699 for an aftermarket kit to be added. This was less than 1/5 the cost and gave me factory results.
Thank you so much!!!! I purchase exactly your part numbers and watched a YouTube video on how to replace along with following your directions!!! Everything went perfectly, it works and I’m so excited to put it in my self for less then $90!!!!

· Registered
2 Posts
Breathing new life into this old thread…

So, in wanting to add cruise to my 2015 manual Soul, I bought a steering wheel from eBay that came from a 2018 Soul. I attempted to install it last weekend, but got stuck when the plug that goes into the clock spring is too large on this new wheel.

Does anyone have a part number for the appropriate clock spring?

· Registered
2016 Base
14 Posts
I was a participant earlier in this thread and even after nuking my original clock spring, I am happy to say I eventually did successfully complete this mod. Can't remember the specific part number I used as a replacement, but a quick google search now found this site which says the part number is 93490 B2120.

One doesn't need to buy a whole new steering wheel, just the new wiring harness and the switch gear for the right hand side of the steering wheel. The new switch gear is a drop in replacement and when installed looks factory perfect. Although ConservaDad's approach would certainly get the job done. I destroying my clock spring because I completely removed the steering wheel retaining nut before yanking the steering wheel off the splined steering column. You need to use some force and everything came off at once, including the clock spring. I ended up pulling the delicate ribbon wiring harness inside the clock spring and detaching it from the electrical contacts. It is a monolithic component that is not designed to be repaired. So if you damage it, replacement is the only practical option.

Words to the wise for others reading this thread who are contemplating this mod - don't make the mistake I did: loosen the steering wheel spline nut but do not remove it until after you have loosened the steering wheel from the splined column. I cannot emphasize that point strongly enough.

Even making that mistake and having to replace the clock spring, this is perhaps the most supremely satisfying car project I've ever performed. Know this: your base trim Soul does come with factory cruise control standard. It just lacks the switch gear to operate it. This is a very doable project.

· Registered
9,065 Posts
Breathing new life into this old thread…

So, in wanting to add cruise to my 2015 manual Soul, I bought a steering wheel from eBay that came from a 2018 Soul. I attempted to install it last weekend, but got stuck when the plug that goes into the clock spring is too large on this new wheel.

Does anyone have a part number for the appropriate clock spring?
Why did you buy a new steering wheel? Not necessary at all.

You guys damaging the clock spring need to just slow down and not yank the wheel off or even touch the clock spring.

Go to the start of this thread and read until you're comfortable to give the procedure a try. It's easy, inexpensive and quite rewarding. Just take your time.

Reactions: rhysoul

· Registered
2 Posts
Why did you buy a new steering wheel? Not necessary at all.

You guys damaging the clock spring need to just slow down and not yank the wheel off or even touch the clock spring.

Go to the start of this thread and read until you're comfortable to give the procedure a try. It's easy, inexpensive and quite rewarding. Just take your time.
I found a leather wheel on eBay for roughly the same price as buying the individual parts to add to my crappy polyurethane wheel. So, I figured the whole thing would be an upgrade, especially since I would have had to remove the wheel anyways.

it’s not a matter of being uncomfortable with the process: I didn’t fully expect the wire harness on the “new” wheel to not be directly compatible with the plug on my car. That’s the roadblock, and I suspect it would have been as well had I just added parts to my existing wheel.

· Registered
9,065 Posts
I found a leather wheel on eBay for roughly the same price as buying the individual parts to add to my crappy polyurethane wheel. So, I figured the whole thing would be an upgrade, especially since I would have had to remove the wheel anyways.

it’s not a matter of being uncomfortable with the process: I didn’t fully expect the wire harness on the “new” wheel to not be directly compatible with the plug on my car. That’s the roadblock, and I suspect it would have been as well had I just added parts to my existing wheel.
Thanks ConservaDad. That's a good point. Upgraded steering wheels may have added features, like heated wheel, that will require a different clockspring for it to work (as well as buttons in the car).

Reactions: ConservaDad

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi I am from the UK and having trouble getting the correct wiring harness for my steering wheel to add the cruise buttons. Do you have a circuit diagram of the four connecters that I could make one up as I would just make a cruise cable with the four pin connectors? Thank you. Kia Soul base 2018.

401 - 419 of 419 Posts