Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read extensively on this subject and still I am very confused. I have the 2014 Soul ! with the base radio (small screen) and i want to add Apple Car Play since my wife is a big fan of it. She loves the Soul other than not having Apple Car Play. I would rather not go with aftermarket as around here that would get stolen in a day or two so I was trying to find a OEM way to do it. I know I can get the bigger screen from a 2014 Soul on eBay and install it however I do not think that those have CarPlay. But then I saw that there is a free software upgrade that can be done on the 2014 and up Souls to get Apple Car play using myuvo.com website. However since my car did not initially come with the compatible radio is that still an option for me?

Just to be clear I do not care about Nav or Satellite Radio, just reverse camera and Car Play. With all that said is this option a reality or am I just going in circles trying to find a solution.

I am also OK if there is an aftermarket radio that looks like the OEM one with Car Play option.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
I believe that either an OEM swap for the higher grade radio from one of the newer Gen2 or an aftermarket is going to be the only way to go. I do not believe that the free upgrade is around any more and wasn't available for the small orange face radio since there is no touch screen. So that would leave the five or seven inch touch screen. The eight inch already has it in it.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,617 Posts
Could you just install the ACP app on your phone & not worry about mirroring it to a dash screen? Maybe get a phone mount for the dash. You can bluetooth audio through the car sound system for music, turn by turn directions etc.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,617 Posts
Interesting question, isn't it?
It would sure save alot of time & money, but he wanted a reverse camera. I'm not sure he had one before with the base orange radio?

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can always do a rear view mirror monitor with a camera. (y)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I currently have the reverse camera, I just want to keep it with the new setup. Maybe the base radio was the wrong wording to use, I have attached what mine currently looks like. It does have the reverse camera and Sirius but I do not care about the Sirius. It is color and touch screen.

Thanks,
Daniel

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
That looks like the five inch, which if I am not mistaken became the base radio with the 2018 or the 2019. It should have AA and ACP on it. Does your manual say anything about it? As far as the upgrade goes, look at your manual to see if you have the phone lashed up with the cable, can you gain access to your WIFI through your phone for software updates.

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
Ok, I just went back to look at your original post and the picture. First of all, you have UVO which I did not recognized at first, so that is good. Does your radio have an apps page under setup? I am not familiar with the five inch so not sure what shows up. If it does have that page, see if AA and ACP show up on that page. It has to be activated before the phone will find it. Second does your phone have app on it? If it does, then you need to make sure you are registered on myuvo.com. You will update from there. You will probably need to have the phone on, the radio on, and follow the directions on myuvo. I have updated my car this way in the past. If the update is available for your car (myuvo goes by VIN) this is the only way I know that you can get it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's the UVO for sure. No apps on that one. When I had my 2014, the only way to upgrade that one was to buy aftermarket. I almost did it before I traded mine in for a 2019. Upgrading to a higher stock model was too complicated and I did not see any good DIY instructions. Android auto units were available on Amazon, not sure if Apple is available aftermarket.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies, after spending the weekend pricing out things and seeing what will have to happen before CarPlay will work in my '14, its just not worth it in my opinion. On top of that the wife looked at the Telluride while the Soul was getting some service and she pretty much wants that SUV, so I may end up having the Soul for myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts