Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

2014 Kia Soul intermittent starting/running issues

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Onelowvoltage 
#1 ·
My wife’s daily driver. Starting about 6 months ago, every now and then, once a week at most, it at like it doesn’t want to start. Will try to turn over but acts like it’s not getting gas. If I lay on the gas pedal for a few secoyit starts right up, but then runs like crap with limited pot. Otherwise, it starts and runs well. Even when it acts up, I can let it sit for a minute, restart it, and it runs fine. Like I said happens 2-3 times a month. I run Techron through the tank, and have changed the plugs. No check engine codes. Any ideas? Thanks

#4 · (Edited)
The reason I ask is because if the crankshaft position sensor is going bad, it can have some of the symptoms you’re having, (intermittent extended crank and running like poo), and also the tach will stay at zero. If that’s the case and yours is bad, use a genuine Kia part from the dealer if you can, or at least a high quality aftermarket one.

#14 · (Edited)
This is a good thread on how to help reduce oil consumption. Take a look at the “For serious oil loss” section and search the internet and YouTube and even here on how to do a piston soak.

Depending on how bad your piston rings are clogged with carbon, a “piston soak” can sometimes help free them and reduce or even stop consumption. If your cat is bad, you’ll want to address the oil burning or a new cat will fail too.

Do you have the 1.6L or 2.0L? There was a cat recall for the 1.6L and there’s a couple other recalls for both engines. Did you have them completed at your dealer?

#16 ·
That is weird. I would've thought that a plugged cat would be plugged all the time, not just occasionally. Like every time you need the power it wouldn't be able to breath like it should so it should never run normal.
I'm having the same issue with my 2016 with 130k on it. At first after reading through some posts I figured it was the crank position sensor but now I see it maybe more than that.
I also burn a quart every 1500 to 2500 miles, just started using the synthetic in the last 20k.
And as soon as it got cold the mileage went way down, from 27-28 to right now reading 21mpg.
Is it true that a new cat is half the price of a new engine?

jimmy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.