Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,
I bought a 2014 kia soul base manual trans. last may. This morning the clutch blew out- the car has around 15k miles on it. I had to towed to the dealer and of course they said it was a normal wear item and wanted $2,100 to fix it. I've owned several manuals and i think the only one that i had to replace the clutch on was a 96 issue trooper at around 180k miles. Ive read other forums and it seems to be a common issue on kia's- to go out early. It just seems absurd that it went out so soon. Does 2100 seem to high to you guys for a kia dealer? I know that it is too high in general for a clutch repair. Also if i repair this somewhere else does it void the rest of my warranty? I called corporate and they are "looking into it" but i have a feeling ill be stuck with fixing it.

Also if it matters- Im the guy doing 55 on the hwy- i don't drive hard at all.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I can't believe they would say that a clutch is a 'normal wear item' if it blew out after only 15k miles and what? 6 months??? That's unbelievable! I've never heard of a clutch blowing out this early without it being some kind malfunction that already occured/started when the car was 'assembled'. Or you would have had to seriously 'mistreat' your clutch to cause the blow-out.

A clutch has to last at least 100.000 kilometers and more (sorry, living in Germany, but I would estimate that being 75.000 to 80.000 miles). And that's a really, really low estimation on my part.

Most Germans drive cars with a manual transmission and in a case like yours, a car being only 6 months old and this low on miles/kilometers, the dealership has to repare it for free, because of the warranty.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
You failed to mention if you bought it New but i'll ASSume you did.
Normally a clutch is covered for 12 months 12000 miles but you are still fairly close.
If the clutch disk actually blew apart or the pressure plate failed, chances are corporate Kia will extend the olive branch and cover the repair.
Making nice-nice with your servicing dealer will go along way as it is they who walk the line between corporate and customer and having them in your corner can only strengthen your argument.
Of course...if the clutch plate is as thin as paper and the pressure plate is black & blue, that usually indicates abuse not defective parts or workmanship.
They may not be able to Asscertain anything without first dropping the transmission for inspection which can complicate the replacement process for you should they deny your claim and elect to replace the clutch elsewhere.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Isn't there a difference between a clutch blowing out and wearing out.
I've never "blown" one but had one wear out and start to slip. The vehicle was drivable but I could feel the slippage.
Your problem sounds like a quality control issue and should be repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Isn't there a difference between a clutch blowing out and wearing out.
I've never "blown" one but had one wear out and start to slip. The vehicle was drivable but I could feel the slippage.
Your problem sounds like a quality control issue and should be repaired under warranty.

"Blown clutches" is why they invented scatter shields back in the days when clutch plates would guillotine their way thru the floor.
It's also a vague tern used to describe a bad or failed clutch for undetermined reasons.
Covering a failed clutch out of warranty better involve some serious shrapnel, a grenaded pressure plate or a sticking master or slave cylinder or it will be an uphill battle to get Kia to cover it.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
It really depends on the nature and cause of the failure, which unfortunately means tearing down and inspecting the transmission.

That being said, "normal wear" sounds a bit unlikely at 15K unless you constantly ride the clutch or do drag racing on the weekends. Also, most of the time a clutch starts slipping, chattering, or making bearing noises before it fails due to normal wear. A sudden failure of a clutch that was just working fine leans toward something other than wear being the culprit.

Richard

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used to work for Volkswagen. I remember a woman drove in with a Jetta with 9000 miles on it and the clutch kind of blew up as soon as she stopped in the service drive. That smell was in the shop for a couple weeks. She was convinced by a salesperson to buy the manual and she had never driven a stick before. Volkswagen of America said that the damage was her fault for never letting the clutch out all the way. But they covered it as a courtesy to her. I think Kia will take care of it if you push them enough. Especially, since you have driven manuals before with no problems. I don't drive 55 and I do bang though the gears all the time and my 2011 is still going strong at 49,700 miles as of tonight. I say, don't let them do the work until they agree to cover it. If they absolutely refuse, take it to a local shop and have it done there. Kia braggs about their warranty. That's why alot of us bought a Kia. The warranty will not be voided if the work is done away from Kia. It's routine maintenance. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I would hardly consider a clutch as routine maintenance.
Whoever you choose to do the work, be sure to replace all related components, being pressure plate, friction plate and throw out bearing.
While a high performance clutch may not be necessary upgrading to something aftermarket may be desired.
Now is also time to perform the slave cylinder clutchectomy by removing the retarder valve discussed elsewhere in another posting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: I originally contacted corporate after the dealership told me that they would not cover it. I was very polite to them and explained calmly what happened and how this was my second soul. She said i would hear from them in two days. Yesterday they called and clarified that not only was the clutch destroyed but also was the flywheel- to my knowledge the flywheel is a pretty stout piece of metal. At this point i figured something must have broken apart inside and thrown metal around damaging everything. They did not have an update for me at that time. This afternoon I get a call from the dealer telling me that they have a rental car for me until they figure things out (for free,) but i ended up getting a call at 4pm from corporate saying that they decided to cover it under warranty.

The thing is, the clutch didn't act like it was worn out when it went- it wasn't slipping or anything. It was functioning fine, and then boom- it was done for. Could barely get it into gear to get it off the highway..

All in all im satisfied, im convinced that i had a defective part somewhere in that system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By the way guys, thanks for the input - i have been super stressed this week in dealing with this. Mainly because I'm broke hahaha

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,612 Posts
Update: I originally contacted corporate after the dealership told me that they would not cover it. I was very polite to them and explained calmly what happened and how this was my second soul. She said i would hear from them in two days. Yesterday they called and clarified that not only was the clutch destroyed but also was the flywheel- to my knowledge the flywheel is a pretty stout piece of metal. At this point i figured something must have broken apart inside and thrown metal around damaging everything. They did not have an update for me at that time. This afternoon I get a call from the dealer telling me that they have a rental car for me until they figure things out (for free,) but i ended up getting a call at 4pm from corporate saying that they decided to cover it under warranty.

The thing is, the clutch didn't act like it was worn out when it went- it wasn't slipping or anything. It was functioning fine, and then boom- it was done for. Could barely get it into gear to get it off the highway..

All in all im satisfied, im convinced that i had a defective part somewhere in that system.
From what you say it sounds like defective stuffs in there.

I've driven many sticks over the years. I don't recall ever losing a clutch to wear or any other factor, and I ran cars hard in the olden days.

Glad you're getting resolution. No buxx plus broken car equals high stress.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

I figured it was something like that because of the reason you stated: the lack of any kind of slipping, noise, or other symptoms prior to failure. That's typical of a catastrophic failure due to a defect, not normal wear.

Good that it's being taken care of for you.

Richard

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am glad it turned out well for you. I really would have lost faith in Kia or the dealership, if they did not cover it under warranty.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
When expensive warranty repairs become necessary, dealership will usually take the high road and let corporate be the bad (or good) guys.
Small, inexpensive repairds the dealer may throw your way to keep the faith.
Catastrophic damages usually infer defects and defective materials.
Both dealer and corporate have ways of twisting truths to suit THEIR agendas.

When, at 29000 miles, my elantra clutch started to slip one particularly cold winter, I brought it to my dealership as a warranty claim.
After looking it over they called and told me "the pressure plate was not holding pressure"
I said "great" as the pressure plate is covered under warranty.
There was silence followed by the "ill get back to you" by the service writer.
They wound up replacing the slave cylinder under warranty along with a complete drain/refill/bleed of the system and that appeared to solve the problem but you could see the dealerships backpedaling like a circus bear on a tricycle...
PS...this dealer was not my selling dealer yet they serviced most of my cars as if they sold them to me so I have nothing but love for them.
They could never compete on pricing but each time I purchased (7 hyundais in all) I always gave them 1st shot at the sale.
Once, when I was dropping off my accent, the owner gave me his personal sonata for the day.
How could you not love these folks.
Had their pricing not been so far off, I would have gladly bought my cars from them!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When expensive warranty repairs become necessary, dealership will usually take the high road and let corporate be the bad (or good) guys.
Small, inexpensive repairds the dealer may throw your way to keep the faith.
Catastrophic damages usually infer defects and defective materials.
Both dealer and corporate have ways of twisting truths to suit THEIR agendas.
I suppose this makes since, but it also does not make me trust that particular dealer. I didn't want to take it to the dealer i bought it from because after i took ownership of the car originally it turned into this whole big ordeal, i got cursed out by the sales rep and all this stuff- had to get corporate involved.
So far owning this car has been a huge headache- i suppose i should have went back to the dealer i bought the 2012 from for both purchases but it was about 70 miles away

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I suppose this makes since, but it also does not make me trust that particular dealer. I didn't want to take it to the dealer i bought it from because after i took ownership of the car originally it turned into this whole big ordeal, i got cursed out by the sales rep and all this stuff- had to get corporate involved.
So far owning this car has been a huge headache- i suppose i should have went back to the dealer i bought the 2012 from for both purchases but it was about 70 miles away[/QUOTE

Aside from the Hyundai dealer I previously praised, trust and dealership are not 2words frequently found in many sentences.
My selling kia stealership was a cavalcade of clowns from beginning to end.
They tried to run a game on me and it cost them BIG time in the end.
I would be hard pressed to find the level of competence and cordiality found at that Hyundai dealership especially now that it has been sold to a bigger dealership network.
I base ALL my purchases on price and price alone.
Since i do all my own routine maintenance, the premise is the car will never be back to the dealership less a catastrophic warranty issue arrises.
If coverage is irrefutable, it matters little which dealership you bring it to as it will most likely have to sit while parts are ordered and/or damages are ASSEssed.
In the end it is the individual service writer and service manager that make the difference between the life and death of your car!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts