Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some hard-starting issues with my 2014 Soul 1.6l with 60,000 miles.
I replaced the battery and, because the hard starting only seemed to happen when the car was warm, I also replaced the coolant temperature sensor.

This seemed to do the trick at first, but the hard-start problem has happened a couple of times since.

I have also noticed that the idle seems to be rough, and indeed the engine cut off in my driveway on one occasion.
I replaced the spark plugs, but this made no difference.
The original spark plugs looked okay - normal tan-colored deposits.

Throughout all of this, I have had no check engine light. I attempted to read the codes anyway, but there were none.

I thought at first that it was a bad or dirty MAF sensor, but it looks as though my car is not equipped with a MAF.

What is the next thing I should try?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,415 Posts
Honestly I would take it in to your dealer. They have equipment that can analyze your engine in seconds.

Engines are complex & controlled so much by computer. Before going down anymore rabbit holes, save time & money and get it scoped. Plus there's a 10 year powertrain warranty. They have to keep that motor turning :)

BTW: you don't mention how long this has gone on. Do you use top tier gas? Have you run a bottle of Techron lately?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly I would take it in to your dealer. They have equipment that can analyze your engine in seconds.

Engines are complex & controlled so much by computer. Before going down anymore rabbit holes, save time & money and get it scoped. Plus there's a 10 year powertrain warranty. They have to keep that motor turning :)

BTW: you don't mention how long this has gone on. Do you use top tier gas? Have you run a bottle of Techron lately?

I would love to take it into the dealer.

Unfortunately, the dealer defrauded me.
The car was sold to me as Certified Pre-Owned, but the dealer lied.
Because of this, I do not have the extended 100k warranty, and it defaulted back to the standard 60k warranty. The problem started at 61,000 miles.

In case you're wondering, when I called Kia to try to get the CPO thing sorted out, they basically told me tough luck and refused to help.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Dang, sorry james. That sucks when the very people who should be doing their best to help you, don't.

These guys have a great suggestion:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion - it was in fact that exact video that prompted me to replace the coolant temperature sensor!

As I mentioned in my original post, replacing the sensor did seem to fix the hard starting problem at first, but then it happened again. Being an intermittent problem, the only way to know if it is fixed is to wait and see.
It was fine for about a week and I thought it was fixed, and then it happened again.

Since this engine does not appear to be equipped with a MAF sensor, what does it use instead?
Whatever is controlling the air flow into the engine seems to be a likely culprit.
The problem is that, being a relatively new car, there is not much repair information out there.

Does it have a idle air control valve?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would suggest having it scanned shortly after an occurrence to see if any pending codes show up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did - it was happening every time the car was warm at one point, so I took it to autozone, got it to hard start right there in the parking lot, and then immediately got them to come out and scan it.

No CEL, no codes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm. I don't know.
When I asked about it in AutoZone, the guy put it into the system and the result was 'not equipped', meaning that my vehicle does not have one.

That eBay listing claims that the MAF sensor is for my car though. I'm 90% sure it is incorrect, but I'm certainly going to have to look under the hood to confirm.

I didn't see anything that looked like a MAF sensor when I was in there changing the coolant temperature sensor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had not seen that article - it looks very comprehensive.

Thanks for that - looks like that's how I will be spending the weekend!

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I would love to take it into the dealer.

Unfortunately, the dealer defrauded me.
The car was sold to me as Certified Pre-Owned, but the dealer lied.
Because of this, I do not have the extended 100k warranty, and it defaulted back to the standard 60k warranty. The problem started at 61,000 miles.

In case you're wondering, when I called Kia to try to get the CPO thing sorted out, they basically told me tough luck and refused to help.

I, for one, would be interested to hear more about this C.P.O. issue if it's not too painful for you to reiterate.
This may help future buyers to avoid such stories of woe and deception and perhaps there is something we can do to help?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the reason we decided to buy a Kia in the first place was because of the warranty.

With a CPO car, Kia continues to honor the original 100k warranty, so we shopped for a CPO Soul.

We saw an advert on the local dealership's website for a CPO Soul and went in to take a look at it.

The sale process took several hours, in which the salesperson explained to us all about the benefits of CPO, even telling us to cancel our roadside assistance when we swapped over the insurance because it would be covered by Kia.

I have the CPO checklist to show that my car was put through all the tests required for certification.

Anyway, a month or so later, we still had not received the paperwork from Kia.

We called Kia corporate, and they said that our car was not in fact CPO because the dealer never sent them the paperwork.
They basically shrugged their shoulders and told us tough luck.

I went back to the dealership, and they had changed their name. Same employees, owned by the same family, just the name had been changed.

I honestly can't believe Kia allows their official dealerships to behave in this way.

I also can't believe they didn't step up and make it right.

I love my car, but I would never buy a Kia again because they don't step up and make it right when one of their shady dealers rips off a customer.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Wow. Not a good story, but a 'run it up the flagpole' process is worthwhile I would say. Take your paperwork and timeline to Kia Corp, and keep going until they listen. Also, local news consumer help would be a good place to go since the dealership obviously did a name change and such for a reason, if they won't step up you should at least black that newly painted eye of their.

Reactions: flowerinameadow

·
Registered
148 Posts
Jamesbeat if the vehicle is not actually CPO but was represented as such then what they did is known as affirmative misrepresentation and is illegal on a federal level. Call Kia again and mention it, you might actually get somewhere then.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Well, the reason we decided to buy a Kia in the first place was because of the warranty.

With a CPO car, Kia continues to honor the original 100k warranty, so we shopped for a CPO Soul.

We saw an advert on the local dealership's website for a CPO Soul and went in to take a look at it.

The sale process took several hours, in which the salesperson explained to us all about the benefits of CPO, even telling us to cancel our roadside assistance when we swapped over the insurance because it would be covered by Kia.

I have the CPO checklist to show that my car was put through all the tests required for certification.

We called Kia corporate, and they said that our car was not in fact CPO because the dealer never sent them the paperwork.

I went back to the dealership, and they had changed their name. Same employees, owned by the same family, just the name had been changed.

I honestly can't believe Kia allows their official dealerships to behave in this way.

I love my car, but I would never buy a Kia again because they don't step up and make it right when one of their shady dealers rips off a customer.
If it is a CPO it will say it in the agreement. You should have received that warranty also if not that should have been a clue.
If it does not say it in the agreement then you are indeed likely out of luck unless you have something else from them that says it is a CPO vehicle. For anyone else reading these posts, virtually anything the dealer says must be in the agreement or they did not say it legally in most cases. That includes anything they said they would provide but did not install yet. (Called exceptions in the agreement or Due or Due the buyer....)

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
If it is a CPO it will say it in the agreement. You should have received that warranty also if not that should have been a clue.
If it does not say it in the agreement then you are indeed likely out of luck unless you have something else from them that says it is a CPO vehicle. For anyone else reading these posts, virtually anything the dealer says must be in the agreement or they did not say it legally in most cases. That includes anything they said they would provide but did not install yet. (Called exceptions in the agreement or Due or Due the buyer....)
Sadly Tampa, so true and great advice. For many reasons, alot of people don't keep their word.

After I spent about 3 hours buying my Soul, right before I signed I looked at the salesman and said "can you throw in a set of mudflaps?" "I'll do that" he said.

It didn't get written down, as the deal was done, and I took him at his word. It was a small thing, especially as I was buying a brand new car. He went to finalize things in the office & get the keys, and so I asked "where do I get the mudflaps?" and he sent me to the Parts Dept around the corner. They said $80, and I said the salesman threw them in. They said "we don't do that."

This got to the point of ugly, the salesman said it wasn't on the paperwork. I reminded him 10 minutes earlier he said he'd throw them in.

The real cost of the mudflaps to the salesman is that he lost my future business, any referrals & my respect. It's a relatively small thing, but it revealed his character.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

It was advertised as CPO (I have a copy of the advert), so presumably that meant that it should have already been certified before they put it up for sale.

Also, basically all we talked about to the salesperson was the CPO warranty etc.
We made it clear that the only reason we were buying it was because of the warranty.

The salesperson gave us a CPO brochure and when we called our insurance to add the new car, she told us we could cancel the roadside assistance because it came with the CPO package.

She also gave us a copy of the CPO checklist to show that our car had passed inspection.

She told us that the rest of the paperwork would be sent to us by Kia.

To top it all off, we recorded a video of her telling is it was CPO when we went back to ask why we had not yet received the paperwork.

I'll have another go with Kia corporate by email this time.

I'll send them a scan of the CPO checklist, a copy of the advert (which also shows the VIN number) and a link to the video of the salesperson assuring us it was definitely CPO.

If that doesn't work, I guess I'll put it all over social media.

In other news, it's looking likely that my problem is due to a bad crankshaft position sensor, or possibly a bad camshaft sensor (though this is less likely).

It's in the shop now, (on my dime) and I will post an update with the final diagnosis when it is fixed.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Quite often CPO just means they are willing to gamble and honor the original warranty (provided the car isn't trashed). The dealer just wants to move freight and let the actuaries worry about the chances for service.

I'm not saying don't buy a CPO, just don't assume you're getting some sort of "gem" of a used car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts