Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I had engine failure on my 2014 Soul...145,000 miles. After many months going back and forth with Kia corporate and dealership. The dealership agreed to replace short block ..I paid for labor..$1600. Kia reimbursement me for my two months if car payments that I paid while not having car...that's all they could do as not under warranty. So I asked dealership while do motor to put in new chain and pump as I was told stretches with oil all over motor when engine failed. I unfortunately had bad experience with this dealership in CT. I asked for chain and pump back. So question is 2014: equiped with chain or belt? If belt? I got scammed because a chain was given to me....things that make u go hmmm....plz fill me in I look online. A few different answers ...thx

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,010 Posts
chain, the 1.6L has always had a chain since it first came out with the 2010 Soul. The 2.0L had a belt but went to a chain in 2012 when they changed to the Nu series engine.

This info is confirmed in your owners manual maintenance section, if it had a belt it would have given you a recommendation as to when to replace it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thx...! I've had Honda's in the past too and know 100,00 mile is standard to have pump and chain and belt replaced at same time. But with my experience through this whole process I questioned whether or not they were telling me the truth...thx for ur time!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,612 Posts
I'd replace them. Since you're getting a new engine, why put 2 "well worn" parts back in.

All the best.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,612 Posts
What was the cause of the engine failure?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts