Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
In the online owner's manual, we are advised to check oil each fill-up.
That is excessive, in my opinion and prefer to check with engine cold.
I also take frequent 500-600 mile trips, filling 3 times in 3 days.

IMG_2341.PNG

I find no PCV inspect or replace intervals in normal or severe maintenance:

IMG_2342.PNG

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,002 Posts
I agree Doc, that seems excessive to check every fill-up. I feel everyone should get a "baseline" for their Soul. If it isn't consuming oil between oil changes, then maybe check monthly. If it's down a quart between oil changes, then start checking every other week or so.

Bottom line, drivers just need to become "aware" of their cars oil appetite :)

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
804 Posts
. Either I or the mechanic check the oil at the of the scheduled oil change, verifying oil state, condition, and level, then the proceeding with the change. .
I wouldn't assume they check your oil level before changing it. In fact, it's likely not a mechanic doing that work, but rather a dedicated oil change technician that puts your car on a lift, drains oil, spins new filter on, lowers car and puts in prescribed amount of oil.

I've started checking mine weekly. Due to this thread, I checked mine coming back from California. I was down a quart at 4500 miles. That included two trips thru the mountains and the soul is known to downshift to 4th on any sizable hill so at 80 mph (my typical crusing speed) the rpms jump significantly. Oil was changed last month, 500 miles ago, and no consumption, but I'll continue to check and traveling back to California after xmas I'll check every stop.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
527 Posts
I wouldn't assume they check your oil level before changing it. In fact, it's likely not a mechanic doing that work, but rather a dedicated oil change technician that puts your car on a lift, drains oil, spins new filter on, lowers car and puts in prescribed amount of oil.

Agreed! I also check the state of the oil filter after an oil change. I've had oil leaking from new filters many times simply because the "technician" didn't tighten it properly for a good seal. Also, check your oil levels afterwards, in the parking lot if need be. They usually fill with a machine which might not be accurately calibrated or the technician under/over fills by not following your car's oil specifications correctly. They are human and prone to mistakes after all!

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
780 Posts
From 2006 thru 2017, I commuted from southern Nevada to SoCal alternate weeks, with different vehicles:
2004 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4 (4.3 V6)
2004 Jeep Liberty 4x4 (3.7 V6)
2006 Buick Lacrosse (3.8 V6)
2007 Dodge Ram (5.7 V8)
2008 Hyundai Santa Fe (3.3 V6)
2009 Toyota 4x4 (2.7 inline 4)
2016 Nissan Frontier crew cab 4x4

2012 Triumph Bonneville
2016 Moto Guzzi V7II
2014 Honda CB1100

None used any oil between changes.

However, even though it was only a 300 mile trip, it was my practice to check the oil level the next morning at the hotel before going to my shop. When I came home at the end of the week, I checked the oil the next morning. Never needed oil, but I continued to check.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Mileage?
Synthetic?
5W30?
55,000, synthetic, 5w20.

At this point I'm not concerned. I didn't check the oil after it was changed that time so I don't know if it was at the top of the stick and, as stated, there was a lot of high rpm driving. I use cruise and drive 80mph+, so when it hits the bottom of a rolling hill in Iowa or a mountain, it downshifts to 4th and the rpms go into the high 4s and stay there until the mountain/hills are creasted. Besides, I don't consider a quart in 4500miles excessive.

If I replace this car, that will be the reason. It's a fantastic city car, but not so great cross country. Originally we were going to leave the car in palm springs, but it's not easy to fly with a dog into palm springs. I might leave the soul home this trip and take the Audi.

·
Registered
780 Posts
55,000, synthetic, 5w20.
Suggest switching to 5W30 and replacing PCV.

I enjoyed taking my 2019 base manual to Death Valley, Zion National Park, central Arizona and it was comfortable cruising at 80. 33+ MPG better than 20 MPG with truck...but never attempted to take it to our ranch (8 miles of rough unmaintained road, last 3/4 mile a Jeep trail).

·
Registered
95 Posts
I use cruise and drive 80mph+, so when it hits the bottom of a rolling hill in Iowa or a mountain, it downshifts to 4th and the rpms go into the high 4s and stay there until the mountain/hills are creasted.

If I replace this car, that will be the reason. It's a fantastic city car, but not so great cross country.
When you're on the highway, put it in manual mode and you won't experience this behavior. Unless it's a really big mountain, holding it in 6th gear is generally sufficient. And if you need more power, you can manually shift down to 5th or 4th.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Suggest switching to 5W30 and replacing PCV.
PVC is easy enough, but I'm just not there yet on the oil. For all I know this was a fluke and I won't have to add again. Two other points: a quart in 4500 miles is not excessive and 2) engines are designed for a given weight oil. I know 5w30 is listed as ok, but the preferred is 5w20. I do understand that the car sees very little cold weather so I understand the suggestion I'll see what happens this trip (if I take the soul) and adjust accordingly.

Happy holidays!

·
Registered
804 Posts
When you're on the highway, put it in manual mode and you won't experience this behavior. Unless it's a really big mountain, holding it in 6th gear is generally sufficient. And if you need more power, you can manually shift down to 5th or 4th.
Actually, I do this a lot, just not all the time. Depends on the frequency of the hills.

·
Registered
780 Posts
...I know 5w30 is listed as ok, but the preferred is 5w20...
I am not seeing a preference declaration in online owner's or service manual...just what is "allowed".

The advantage of 5W20 is supposed fuel economy improvement, but switching to 5W30 synthetic at first oil change was no change in MPG.

Motor longivity has a higher priority (to me) over a fraction of 1 MPG difference.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Motor longivity has a higher priority (to me) over a fraction of 1 MPG difference.
Agreed, but synthetic doesn't follow the same rules as dinosaur oil. It is much thinner, but with greater lubrication properties. Its biggest advantage is that being thin, it starts lubricating in a cold engine much faster. The thicker synthetic might go around rings more slowly, but I doubt it prolongs engine life. I'm not trying to be argumentative and I'm not a petroleum engineer, but my degree is Chemical Engineering (U of MN)

·
Registered
780 Posts
It is the higher viscosity at operating temperature which lessens oil consumption and
a. Spark plugs last longer
b. Oil level remains higher, possibly avoiding low oil level leading to engine failure...thus prolonging engine life.

·
Registered
804 Posts
It is the higher viscosity at operating temperature which lessens oil consumption and
a. Spark plugs last longer
b. Oil level remains higher, possibly avoiding low oil level leading to engine failure...thus prolonging engine life.
Yes, but if one checks their oil weekly, they are unlikely to run low and I'm doing that now.

As I said, I'm not opposed to 10w30, but am not there yet. I'll decide after my 2,200 Mile trip back to palm springs

·
Registered
527 Posts
I came across this video with a title that matches the recent discussion, and although I can't vouch for any truth behind what's stated in it, I'm sure someone here will have an opinion. ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
So an update to my soul. They got it in this morning at 8am. They drove it from their parking lot into the bay. They called me and I was able to go back and talk with the tech James. They basically only verify where the knock is coming from (by removing belt and starting), check codes, and recommend replacement. I was present at time of code check. No codes in history and only a p0014 pending. James stated it was a mechanical failure, and that's as far as they go. I returned to the service manager and mentioned that I do have a extended warranty and asked if it was covered. Pablo stated he will send it into warranty and they will decide whether or not to except the claim. When I hear back, I will update again.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I know 5w30 is listed as ok, but the preferred is 5w20. I do understand that the car sees very little cold weather so I understand the suggestion

According to this video, the 5W in either is what pertains the viscosity of the oil when cold-starting your engine, and the 20 or 30 in the second number pertains to the viscosity of that oil at 100°C. So wouldn't a 5W30 be better in your warmer climate? Am I missing something? I'm just trying to understand this topic better for applying to my own car and climate conditions.

And just for spits & jiggles I thought I'd add this video about whether synthetic oil is better for your car than conventional oil.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
527 Posts
So an update to my soul. They got it in this morning at 8am. They drove it from their parking lot into the bay. They called me and I was able to go back and talk with the tech James. They basically only verify where the knock is coming from (by removing belt and starting), check codes, and recommend replacement. I was present at time of code check. No codes in history and only a p0014 pending. James stated it was a mechanical failure, and that's as far as they go. I returned to the service manager and mentioned that I do have a extended warranty and asked if it was covered. Pablo stated he will send it into warranty and they will decide whether or not to except the claim. When I hear back, I will update again.

I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this during the holidays Mike. Are they suppying you with a rental or loaner? Now's the time to get your hands and eyes on that extended warranty (you should have the paperwork you signed) and read through all that fine print so you know your rights in case they try to offer less than you're owed. Good luck and keep us in the loop. ?

Reactions: SportsterDoc
81 - 100 of 135 Posts