Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 2.0L soul sx with 151,000km. All recommended maintenance has been performed. Recently I noticed the engine is using oil; about 1L between oil changes. Has anyone else had this issue? The dealer says there is no leak so it must be burning oil. This is my second soul. I expected the engine to last more than 4 years and 150,000km.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,986 Posts
Interesting first post. With that much mileage on a 2014 you must drive quite a bit (151,000km = 93,000mi). Without knowing how you drive (hard commuter or easy highway), do you use top tier gas / Techron?, what type of oil & what actual maintenance was performed, I wonder if you have taken any steps to find out what's going? Beyond the dealer saying it's not leaking oil.

You may want to read in the box below called "Similar Threads." There you might find out if "anyone else is having this problem."

Kia Souls have a high reliability rating and of course last more than 4 years.

From the web: A car may be burning oil for a few different reasons. The two most common are because it is bypassing the piston rings, or leaking past the valve seals. ... If your engine's piston rings are worn out from high mileage or poor maintenance they can allow small amounts of oil past to be burnt during the combustion process.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'm surprised more cars today don't burn more oil because of lower and lower viscosity (i.e. thinner oils). Not that unusual for a car with over 90,000 miles (and even some new cars) to burn some oil as eventually most every car will burn some and losing 1L between oil changes is not that uncommon.

Greg

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
The engine clearly did not make it through the 100,000 mile warranty before "Begining to Fail"... It should be torn down to determin why its failing before the warranty is up... KIA should be interested to (DISSECT IT) (it could be "THIN" engineering) and "FIX IT"...!!!...YUP
Note: We "ALL" bought our Soul's based on the BEST Industry 100,000 warranty... hmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,141 Posts
The engine clearly did not make it through the 100,000 mile warranty before "Begining to Fail"... It should be torn down to determin why its failing before the warranty is up... KIA should be interested to (DISSECT IT) (it could be "THIN" engineering) and "FIX IT"...!!!...YUP
Note: We "ALL" bought our Soul's based on the BEST Industry 100,000 warranty... hmmmmmmmmm
he is already out of warranty, it expires in Canada at 100,000 km on the powertrain and the rest of the vehicle.

OP - you said the dealer said there was no leaks, so what did he say the problem might be? You could take it to an independent shop to get another opinion.
- How long are you going between oil changes?
- that is quite a lot of km for a 4 year old vehicle
- due to your location you should perhaps make contact with some of the members of the Soul Club of Ontario for some help or advise and tips. The woman who looks after it is located in Pickering. She has a 2010 Soul with nearly 300,000 km on it and its immaculate.
you can make contact with them here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/135299968155/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for your comments. It is encouraging to know Kia engines typically to more than 150,000 km.
The dealer said he could find no leaks around the engine. He believes it is likely a piston ring or valve. It would be very expensive to take apart the engine to just determine the cause. He recommended we do a 'consumption test'. To come back after 1.500km and determine how much oil has disappeared. I think he said about 1litre between oil changes is considered acceptable by Kia.

Below shows when I had the oil changed and #km between changes.

I think what happened is in late 2016 I moved 200km north of Toronto. This past winter has been very cold (-30f and lower some nights). At that time the car was outside with no block heater and regular oil. I think driving with the thick oil caused the damage. I have since discovered my original dealer always used synthetic when doing my oil changes, and I am doing the same now...but damage has been done.

Date Odometer km Synthetic?
03/14/2018 151574 5364 Y
12/27/2017 146210 9406 Y <<<I noticed just before this change that Oil was disappearing
09/11/2017 136804 7807
05/29/2017 128997 7213
03/02/2017 121784 6918
12/17/2016 114866 6601 Y
10/18/2016 108265 6055 Y
8/24/2016 102210 6768 Y
6/20/2016 95442 5681 Y
4/27/2016 89761 6427 Y
2/22/2016 83334 7169 Y
12/07/2015 76165 7256 Y
10/02/2015 68909 5688 Y
08/07/2015 63221 8521 Y
05/26/2015 54700 7454 Y
3/18/2015 47246 5897 Y
1/21/2015 41349 8042 Y
11/11/2014 33307 6322 Y
09/12/2014 26985 7150 Y
7/2/2014 19835 6394 Y
5/1/2014 13441 6868 Y
2/28/2014 6573 6573 Y

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi,

I would go to a local shop and have them check the compression per cylinder, there you will see if it uneven which will indicate which cylinder might have a faulty ring or just the cylinder walls have been worn to the point where its consuming oil. This is a quick guide for a soul engine
Compression pressure
Standard : 1225.83kPa (12.5kg/cm², 177.79psi) (200~250 rpm)
Minimum : 1078.73kPa (11.0kg/cm², 156.46psi)
Difference between each cylinder :
98kPa (1.0kg/cm², 14psi) or less

Your mechanic will understand lol

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
There really is no damage, per say.
The fact that it is using oil is a bit disconcerting but normal by most standards.
Failure is not eminent nor is a tear down in order.
A simple switch to another brand or viscosity may be all that is needed to curtail oil consumption.
Now...if you are leaving a trail of smoke everywhere you go, that IS someting to be concerned about!
Otherwise just check your oil level regularly and top off as needed for many more miles of smiles!
Ps...as valuable as a compression test (previously mentioned) might be, a leak-down test may prove even more valuable.
Ps again...also check or replace your pcv valve if not done recently.
A clogged or restricted valve can cause elevated crankcase pressure leading to oil consumtion via blow-by of rings or valve guide seals.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Manufacturers tend to be way more leniente than owners on what is acceptable when it comes to oil consumption.
Gee...I wonder why...

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
Would it be worth running a can of CRC through the valve intake?

Reactions: GeekOnTheHill

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Would it be worth running a can of CRC through the valve intake?
I don't think it would do any harm.

Also, I won't phrase this as a recommendation, but I've solved a few oil-burning problems by using a diesel-rated oil that also has an "SM" rating for gasoline engines for a short-OCI oil change. It usually helped quite a bit on Saturn S-Series engines (especially when combined with a piston soak using GM's piston cleaner or some other solvent) because of the engines' less-than-wonderful oil ring design. It helped clean the crud out. It either helped or did no harm.

I always kept the interval short to avoid the detergents dislodging enough crud to clog up the oil filter, especially on older cars with questionable maintenance histories.

The biggest problem was finding an acceptable viscosity match. I usually wound up having to order it online. There wasn't enough demand for lighter-weight multi-grade diesel lubricants for them to be widely available on retail shelves. That's probably changed now with newer diesel engines. Amsoil, Mobil Delvac, and Shell Rotella are all available in 5W-30.

Again, this isn't a recommendation because I think it's unlikely that it would work in this particular case. It's something I personally would try, however, because it's easy and will do no harm.

Rich

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Say what you will...call me insane in the membrane but I have found synthetic oils more susceptible to oil consumption than there dino counterparts.
The added protection and their stabil viscosity is worth the tradeoff I.M.O.
With almost 100k on the clocks, I would not be overly concerned with a quart of consumption between oil changes as long as you're not leaving a smokescreen behind you.
Of course a quart every 7500 miles is vastly easier on the digestive system then a quart every 3000 miles.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Say what you will...call me insane in the membrane but I have found synthetic oils more susceptible to oil consumption than there dino counterparts.
The added protection and their stabil viscosity is worth the tradeoff I.M.O.
With almost 100k on the clocks, I would not be overly concerned with a quart of consumption between oil changes as long as you're not leaving a smokescreen behind you.
Of course a quart every 7500 miles is vastly easier on the digestive system then a quart every 3000 miles.
Agree!!!, an example of that is my wife's CRV when I use Pennzoil Platinum I usually do not add or if I do it might be .5 qt but when I use Castrol Edge it will consume approx 1 qt in the 8k interval.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Agree!!!, an example of that is my wife's CRV when I use Pennzoil Platinum I usually do not add or if I do it might be .5 qt but when I use Castrol Edge it will consume approx 1 qt in the 8k interval.
Interesting orange...I noticed something similar since I started using Castrol magnatec synthetic; our soul now seems to lose roughly half a quart between changes whereas with all other oil brands, nothing noticeable (appreciable) was "lost".

Greg

·
Registered
95 Posts
With the soul i stick to the Kia recommendation of Total. I use Total Quartz 9000 future 5w20 and I get no adding oil during the interval. Plus its $60 a case (prime) on amazon last time I bought it.

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
With the soul i stick to the Kia recommendation of Total. I use Total Quartz 9000 future 5w20 and I get no adding oil during the interval. Plus its $60 a case (prime) on amazon last time I bought it.
How many miles on your Soul orange? Year?

How are things in PR? Getting back to normal?

All the best!

·
Registered
95 Posts
How many miles on your Soul orange? Year?

How are things in PR? Getting back to normal?

All the best!
My soul is a 2017 with 15k still even smells new lol. Where I live things are back to normal but toward the more mountainous parts of the island work is still being done. Mostly everybody who did not suffer major damage to their home should be back to normal with the exception of some who still do not have power(minority at this point). But it was no fun, I have experienced quite a few hurricanes but none like this, My neighbor measure wind gust speed with some meter he has (ret. pilot) strongest gust up our street was 186 mph and the storm effects (intense wind and rain) lasted around 30 hours. Started Tues. ended Thurs.

Thanks for asking hahaha I hijacked the thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update on my situation....

The dealer determined thecarusedabout 1/4 L after about 1800 km. That works out to be a bit less than 1L between oil changes. He told me the KIA acceptable oil usage after 1500 km is 1L! That’s almost 4 L between oil changes!! Sounds crazy to me.

The dealer installed Castrol Edge synthetic 5W30. Do you think I should use a thicker oil?

PS....I don’t notice the oil burning from the exhaust.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts