Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to add bass into my soul base model and keeping tje original radio.. Does the loc need to be hooked from behind the stereo? ! (Bypass factory amp) ... Or does the base models not have this feature. .soo frustrated its not working! !!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Trying to add bass into my soul base model and keeping tje original radio.. Does the loc need to be hooked from behind the stereo? ! (Bypass factory amp) ... Or does the base models not have this feature. .soo frustrated its not working! !!
When I had my 2 12" subs installed they went no where near my stock radio or amp so I assuming no bypass needed. Don't quote me on that though. I know they routed the power, the negative and tapped into existing rear speaker lines/wires but they never went behind my dash radio. The sound that comes from SOULange is head turning and crystal clear. I barely ever raise my bass level above -5. I have a bridgable 2 channel 900 watt Pioneer powering my subs which have 1000 watt max output each. Wish I could give you more info but I'll leave you with this. These new vehicles are very timid, tricky and sensitive. Pay the money to have a professional installer do it. It will be worth it in the end. My installer is always honest with me. He even told me not to upgrade the stock amp because the stock radio is better off with it. He stated once you start messing with the stock systems and adding things that directly hook up to them that's when you have problems. That's why my amp and subs are not attached to the stock radio and amp. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
This is what I was told: If the radio does not have "Infinity" on the front plate, there is no take off for the external amp on it. That means that if you want to add an external amp (for a base unit) you would have to either jury rig a fix into the existing speaker wiring or you would have to replace the radio. Since the only cars with the "Infinity" are the ones with the HD radio set up and A FEW other SE models and (with no rhyme or reason) a few Exclaim models, you probably do not have that unit. My best advice is to do what Mr. Soulange suggested and go to a pro and find out what your options are.

·
Registered
546 Posts
its a standard line out converter, they all do the same thing.

mine has factory sub and amp (2011), this made it easier because the amp is at the rear of the vehicle and I just un plugged the factory sub and connected the line out converter.

It would be easiest to do it near the radio in your case (no amp), where all of the speaker wires are still close and not split down the left and right sides of the car.

the line out converter will have 4 wires labeled L+, L-, R+, R-. Those will attach to your rear speaker wires, right to right, + to +, and so on. Use wire taps, and avoid cutting the wire.

You can get line out converters with remote level control to adjust the output signal voltage of the rca plugs, or, like in my case, my amp has a remote level control.

If you hooked one up and its not working, make sure the output level on the LOC is not set to 0 and make sure you didn't mix up a positive and negative, if you cross one pair and hook it to a briged amp with stereo input, the signal will cancel out and possibly fry both the amp and head unit. On floating ground systems you cannot mix up the ground wires either.

Also test to be sure that the wire taps break through the insulation and make contact. The best option for this is test leads from radio shack that have sharp points so you can poke through the insulation of the wires on the loc with the other ends connected to any random working speaker.

·
Registered
546 Posts
This is what I was told: If the radio does not have "Infinity" on the front plate, there is no take off for the external amp on it. That means that if you want to add an external amp (for a base unit) you would have to either jury rig a fix into the existing speaker wiring or you would have to replace the radio. Since the only cars with the "Infinity" are the ones with the HD radio set up and A FEW other SE models and (with no rhyme or reason) a few Exclaim models, you probably do not have that unit. My best advice is to do what Mr. Soulange suggested and go to a pro and find out what your options are.

ANY radio can have a line out converter tapped in to the speaker wire or output wire so you can connect an amp. Does not matter if its before or after a factory amp. It just means you may have to change the type of line out converter you use. In my case I bought one that would handle higher wattage since I was using the output to the factory sub as my input.

The factory amps and head units still use a low level speaker wire rather than a rca type hookup like aftermarket amps and head units. Your still tapping wires either way.

If the head unit only has a 3-5volt output signal which pre-amp outputs typically are, that just means you open the gain up all of the way on the loc. At the speaker where it is 10v or higher you just need a loc that will handle the higer input voltage, or wattage. Most are good up to 50 watts and its not an issue. The higher the wattage you put in to it, the lower you set the level, to high of an input level to your amp causes distortion/clipping and possibly damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where did you add the RCA converter? Where did you purchase it? I tried setting mine up with out it and it didnt work properly 2014 Kia Soul Base Model.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts