Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I cannot recount how many times I have seen this. What happens all too often is the main starter cable starts to corrode right at the starter connection, it is most often present on cars in states where road salt, salty air is present or on cars where the undershield is damaged allowing water to splash on the starter too often. When your battery is really good you can overcome the voltage drop across that cable but if it shows any sign of weakness it will not. You can perform a simple voltage drop test on the cable and see how much it is dropping whether it is acting up right now or not. Anything over 0.5 volts is bad news. I posted pictures of performing this test, I use an oscilloscope rather than a multimeter because it graphs it for me but since most people don't have a scope you can use a multimeter but you will need someone in the car cranking it while you watch the voltage reading. The 2 scope pictures you see is the voltage drop before and after cleaning that terminal. You need to hook one lead on the main starter terminal and the other on the positive battery cable and crank the starter and read the voltage right as the starter engages. It will be hard to catch it on a multimeter but if you see it flash anything over 0.5 volts you need to remove the cable and clean it up. If you are not so inclined or don't have a helper just unhook your battery and remove that cable from the starter and clean it up anyway.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts